• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

New Bins help... (1 Viewer)

Eliter7

Having made do with a very average pair of opticron Bins for a few years ive decided to finally get a decent pair of Bins' and I need some general opinions as to what should be on my shortlist.
Info to Consider that may help:

I have a Swaro ATS80HD scope already.
Will be solely for birding/wildlife and almost always in UK
No budget as such but if i can avoid paying £900+ it would be good!
Would like waterproof ideally.
Do NOT wear glasses.
Nothing too heavy if possible but not main issue.

Was thinking and have been looking at the Swaro 8.5x42's EL but Im confused as to if enough benefit over the SLCnew's equivalent(maybe the 10x42 SLC) at better prices etc.
Or are there better options that fit above criteris etc.......
I know this is quite broad but opinions and suggestions and any key thoughts on the EL vs SLCnew debate be very welcome.
Thanks.

Eliter7 -

I went through a similar exercise earlier this year and purchased the 8.5x ELs for the following reasons:

1 - They are lighter.
2 - More neutral color rendition (SLCnew are still a bit more yellow). I use binoculars for hunting, but still prefer the neutral color as it provides a more pleasing view to my eyes.

The SLCs are otherwise extremely close to the ELs optically. I would not say there are better (different is a better word) options, but other options include the Leica Ultravid and Zeiss FL. Perhaps the Vortex Razor, Meopta Meostar or Minox HG if you want to spend 1/2 the price and still get a very, very good pair.

ND2000

I know this is quite broad but opinions and suggestions and any key thoughts on the EL vs SLCnew debate be very welcome.
Thanks.

I went for the SLCnew myself. I preferred the price (obviously) but mostly the ergonomics - I preferred the feel of the SLC's. Even though they are a little heavier they felt much more comfortable. I'm not saying that there is no difference in image quality but I really couldn't spot it.

After using them for a few months now I have noticed one niggle with the SLC's and that is flare, or a halo effect when looking into a light background (ie sky) when it is bright. I was worried at first that it was my bins, but it seems that others have notcied this. However, it is only against a bright sky and does not detract from the view. Worth bearing in mind when you do the inevitable side by side comparison.

Let us know how you get on.

I'd give weight a consideration myself. I have the 8.5x42 ELs and would wish for something lighter. How about the Zeiss 8x32FL or the equivalent Swaro, Nikon or Leica. The Nikon HGs are unmatched for contrast and sheer naturalness of colour in my view.

Thanks.

Look back over the threads and try to find any compaints about the 10x42 SLC. Now look for EL complaints. I rest my case. :t:

Blue skies,
Ed

for birds there are only a few good ones, wheither it is swarovski ,zeiss or leica doesn't matter, but for birds always take 10x42 or 10x50 , in europe 90% uses this sizes.

for birds there are only a few good ones, wheither it is swarovski ,zeiss or leica doesn't matter, but for birds always take 10x42 or 10x50 , in europe 90% uses this sizes.

Is 10x really the preferred mag in mainland Europe? I was a 10x guy (as Tero would say;) )for years, but went 8x32 for woodland, etc. (Both my bins are ELs, I´m very happy with them, but don´t want to contradict any SLC users, as I´ve never seen a pair of SLC). I now find that I generally reach for my 8x32 most of the time, they´re more "user-friendly" for me, and I usually have a scope in tow anyway for more fire-power. The 10x42´s hardly get taken out, except for visits to estuaries of seawatching, where distances are much greater and FOV isn´t such an issue. I´d go along with Tero´s comment on his signature, that the major issues for me are sharpness, FOV and eyecups, and maybe also weight and comfort in the hand.

I always find it noteworthy that Swarovski Optik was the only company to introduce a new line of hi-end binoculars, i.e., the EL, without intending to replace its ongoing series, i.e., the SLC. Instead, it upgraded the SLC line to ergonomic, stylistic, and optical equivalence (i.e., with SLCNeu). The net result is that with the exception of the 10x42 there is no overlap in configurations. If you want an 8x30 it will be an SLC, or if you prefer an 8.5x42 it will be an EL, etc. In the process they provided for more affordable, and possibly durable, instruments to vie against more expensive, but possibly more fragile ones. In either case, they live up to expectations with the best customer service in the business.

Why did they overlap the 10x42 configurations? I suspect because of its popularity in both the hunting and birding communities. Of the two models my favorite by a slight margin is the SLC. Although it costs considerably less, I hope that didn't influence me too much. :eek!:

Blue skies,
Ed

Last edited:
Thanks for help all. Incase anyone interested i bought the 8.5x40 EL's today as they looked excellent. Didnt want to spend that much but you dont buy new Bins every year do you.....
Will be field testing on a Scottish Birding Holiday and in Mull over next 2 weeks so cant wait to christen them.
Regards

Chris.

Thanks for help all. Incase anyone interested i bought the 8.5x40 EL's today as they looked excellent. Didnt want to spend that much but you dont buy new Bins every year do you.....
Will be field testing on a Scottish Birding Holiday and in Mull over next 2 weeks so cant wait to christen them.

Chris.
Congratulations! Well, if you got the EL´s you won´t need to buy new bins every year;) . If, like me, you had gotten cheaper bins originally, you probably would have spent much more in the long run "upgrading" (yeuch, I hate that word). Best of luck with your EL´s, have a great holiday on Mull!

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back