• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Advice needed - using Canon lens with Nikon D80 (1 Viewer)

vanellus

Andrew Hodson
I hope someone out there can provide expert advice on the following.

I have a Nikon D80. My Tamron 70-300 has broken, so I have been gifted a Cannon EF 70-300 1,4-5.6 USM Ultrasonic with a 58mm objective lens and advised that I can get a Canon to Nikon adapter for about £8 on Amazon.

Three simple question - will it work at all? - if it works, what features will work and what will not? What will be the downside if any on image quality?

As the Canon does not have macro, I may be putting a Nikon lens on my Christmas list anyway.

Unfortunately it wont work at all. Nikon's lens mount to film plane/sensor distance is a lot bigger than most other manufacturers, so even if the lens could be mounted the lens would not focus beyond maybe 10-20m.
Also of course, there will be no autofocus, no aperture control and metering modes will be limited at best.
All the adaptors on Amazon that I have found are for fitting Nikon lenses to Canon bodies. Theoretically, it is possible to make an adaptor with optics built in that would work with some lenses, by shifting the plane of focus. Not sure if anyone makes them though.
Perhaps the best solution would be to sell the Canon lens to fund a Nikon compatible replacement, or keep the lens and get a Canon body.

Thanks for the advice. I note that there is a Nikon AF-S DX NIKKOR 55-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR on Amazon for £270 which looks a good deal.

Phil is right, if the lens was an older FD lens then this http://srb-photographic.co.uk/nikon-to-canon-fd-lens-adaptor-6048-p.asp would have worked with the limitations noted in the advert. As you can see there is an optical element included to overcome the lens to sensor distance problem.
As it is this won't overcome the other problems so is a non-runner. Generally if there is a solution to this type of problem - this company will be able to help. As it is - even they can't help in this instance.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back