• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

House sparrows (1 Viewer)

Tre

Hi everyone!

I am new to this forum and would like to ask a question.

I have bought a house and had new windows fitted.
The company did not fill in the holes around the windows and removed half bricks from around the windows leaving holes in the wall next to the windows.

Today while I was hanging out washing I seen a sparrow flying out of one of the holes next to the window.
I can hear babies throughout the day but wasn't sure where the sound was coming from, now I know!

I had someone coming out next week to fill in all the holes but now cancelled them knowing their nest is inside the outside wall and not sure if there is any other nests in the other holes around the windows.

Can anyone tell me how long it is they stay in the nest and stop having babies and move on?
I do not want to disturb the nest at all and want to wait until they move away.

Many thanks for your help

Tre

Thank you fugl

I have just been told by my neighbour that the parents stay living in the nest all year round!
I'm not sure if that is right or not?

Your neighbour is incorrect. The adults will not use the nest after the young fledge (fly from the nest). So you are good to fill the holes as soon as that happens. Some small birds (tits especially) will roost in holes in houses (under the eaves etc) in winter for warmth, so that is perhaps what your neighbour is getting confused with.

Any thoughts on adding a house sparrow nest box near this nest hole for future years? House sparrows need a bit of help these days ....

Mick

Your neighbour is incorrect. The adults will not use the nest after the young fledge (fly from the nest). So you are good to fill the holes as soon as that happens. Some small birds (tits especially) will roost in holes in houses (under the eaves etc) in winter for warmth, so that is perhaps what your neighbour is getting confused with.

Any thoughts on adding a house sparrow nest box near this nest hole for future years? House sparrows need a bit of help these days ....

Mick

Thank you Mick!

He spoke to me today regarding the holes and said they are an eyesore and I should get rid of the birds!

He didn't like my reply at all.
At the moment, the birds are priority and now you have let me know he is wrong, I will wait until they have gone and will put house sparrow nest boxes next to the holes where they are nesting. I have another two nesting on the front beside each bedroom windows!

Thank you again Mick

Thank you Mick!

He spoke to me today regarding the holes and said they are an eyesore and I should get rid of the birds!

He didn't like my reply at all.
At the moment, the birds are priority and now you have let me know he is wrong, I will wait until they have gone and will put house sparrow nest boxes next to the holes where they are nesting. I have another two nesting on the front beside each bedroom windows!

Thank you again Mick

Your neighbor sounds like a grumpo |=@| It's your home you put up as many bird friendly homes as you like ;) Feeder's and waterbaths are nice too ;)

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back