• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Question 300 mm f4 afs lens (1 Viewer)

squidge

Wha Whassssat
I have been searching online for an answer and all I'm getting is contradictory information.
Can I manually focus this lens if both the camera a Nikon d90 and lens are both in autofocus mode. E.g. After the lens has autofocused I can adjust manually if the focus isn't quite right.

Thanks Gerard.

That's great to know. I was afraid I might damage some inner workings of either the camera or lens if I used the manual focus whilst both in auto.

I suppose it's better to shoot in single rather than continuous mode as I presume the autofocus will be continually hunting or does it not make a difference in reference to using the manual focus.

Regards Gerard.

the autofocus will be continually hunting

Many of us set the shutter release button to release the shutter (and activate VR in VR lenses) but not to focus; and we use the focus button on the back of the camera to focus. So you focus (using your thumb) then release and either manually refocus the lens or simply reframe the subject for better composition without changing focus when you press the shutter release.
It sounds awkward but you get used to the thumb and finger action very quickly.

Bill

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back