• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Reed Warbler ID from UAE, Al Ain, 24.06.2014. (1 Viewer)

peterarras

Hi all,
there are about a dozen of these Reed Warbler, size of a Sparrow, in our reed.
Also juveniles get fed from there parents.
Who can help me with the ID?
Thanks in advance.
Cheers
Peter.

Attachments

• DSC_6099a.jpg
    DSC_6099a.jpg
    432.5 KB · Views: 130
  • DSC_6097a.jpg
    DSC_6097a.jpg
    434.1 KB · Views: 103
  • DSC_6098a.jpg
    DSC_6098a.jpg
    482.6 KB · Views: 89
Size can be incredibly difficult to judge at times. The bill length and structure, for me, would exclude Reed. The primary projection, being so short, would exclude Reed also, as well as Great Reed (which doesn't breed this far south) and Basra Reed (likewise, these breed elsewhere). So they must be Clamorous Reed Warblers, a common species in suitable habitat, I would imagine, given we had a fair few in nearby northern Oman.

Thanks a lot Harry!
Here are 2 pictures from a Clamorous Reed Warbler, who's breeding in our
reed bed too. He is nearly double size and its call is hard and very loud! These ones are more quiet and soft!
Cheers
Peter.

Attachments

• DSC_7166a.jpg
    DSC_7166a.jpg
    444.2 KB · Views: 88
  • DSC_7293a.jpg
    DSC_7293a.jpg
    452.9 KB · Views: 53
Thanks a lot Harry!
Here are 2 pictures from a Clamorous Reed Warbler, who's breeding in our
reed bed too. He is nearly double size and its call is hard and very loud! These ones are more quiet and soft!
Cheers
Peter.

Because your OP bird is young to 1st winter Glam. RW.

Omar

Hi,
you guys are right! I checked the situation again in the reed bed, at least 2 different Reed Warbler species are there and it's not easy to identify them by their size, especially when you want identify them with the pictures!
This case show me how high is the quality of this Birdforum. Thank you so much!
Here are some pictures from the smaller Reed Warbler species. What are your thoughts?
Cheers
Peter.

Attachments

• DSC_6300a.jpg
    DSC_6300a.jpg
    414.7 KB · Views: 59
  • DSC_6371a.jpg
    DSC_6371a.jpg
    456.2 KB · Views: 57
  • DSC_6396a.jpg
    DSC_6396a.jpg
    399.1 KB · Views: 55
  • DSC_6369a.jpg
    DSC_6369a.jpg
    377.5 KB · Views: 64
  • DSC_6375a.jpg
    DSC_6375a.jpg
    422.4 KB · Views: 63
The first set show large reed warblers while the last set appear to show a smaller species, probably Caspian (by distribution) Reed Warblers

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back