• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Rainguards for small-diameter eyepieces? (1 Viewer)

Swissboy

Sempach, Switzerland
Supporter
Switzerland
I am looking for an attachable rainguard to my 8x25 roof binoculars. They came with two loose pieces that are prone to get lost on the first outing. There are rainguards for larger binoculars that I'm familiar with that one can buy separately. But none that I know for smaller diameters. Pentax provides a suitable cover for the Papilio model (35 mm diameter), and Leica has individual lids that attach to the strap for the Ultravid 10x25 (30 mm eyepiece diameter). But while these are too small for my needs, the ones by Pentax are too large and thus will come off when used on another model.

Is there a manufacturer that produces such rainguards for eyepieces of different diameters?

Precisely, I'm looking for a version for 33 mm diameter eyepieces. This would fit my Eagle Optics Triumph 8x25 model, but also the equal RSPB Rambler one.

I went looking for something similar a couple of years back (for a similar sort of bin ... a 25mm reverse porro). I never did find anything. It seems that either the bin designers design one and get it made or it's very difficult to find one that's a good fit.

Opticron 34 mm only?

Thanks for the replies. From the small number of reactions, I presume the 34 mm Opticron is the only rainguard to come close to my needs. So I'm going to try to get one of these.

near perfect fit!

......the 34 mm Opticron is the only rainguard to come close to my needs. So I'm going to try to get one of these.

Got my Opticron rainguard today, and I think it's close to perfect. It benefits from some adapting though. I cut off the excess parts meant to provide a selection for various strap attachments. And I removed the ribs on the bridge between the actual covers. This reduces some of the bulk, but it fits into the pouch either way.

As mentioned earlier, this would be the same for the RSPB Rambler models.

Attachments

• P1060662red.jpg
    P1060662red.jpg
    109.5 KB · Views: 67
  • P1060663red.jpg
    P1060663red.jpg
    58.1 KB · Views: 63
  • P1060664red.jpg
    P1060664red.jpg
    86.8 KB · Views: 64
  • P1060665red.jpg
    P1060665red.jpg
    89.7 KB · Views: 62
Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back