• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

7dmk2 (1 Viewer)

mdb2

Hi all, since upgrading from the 7d I first noticed that my Hahnel HL-E6 spare batteries have suddenly stopped working one by one of a total of three Batteries. They all worked good in the 7d battery charger and got to full charge ok. However in the new 7dmk2 charger it will only charge them to about a quarter charge. When this happened to the first battery I presumed it could be age etc but happening to three seems a little weird. I am aware the 7dmk2 batteries are more powerful than the original 7d batteries and am aware the battery charger is different but what's going on? I mean 3 batteries in a row?

Should I buy a separate charger for these ( Hahnel) and try to charge them or just buy new Third party batteries are there any third party recommendations please advise.

Kind regards mike

Thanks for your reply Malcolm, I have ordered just one red battery at this point in time. I still cannot get my head around how 3 hahnel batteries have gone bad after charging in the 7dmk2 charger ???
Kind regards mike

The Canon batteries are "Chipped" to try and stop you buying better and/or cheaper alternatives to the Canon branded ones. If your Hahnel batteries function properly in the camera then I would just get an aftermarket charger - but test them in your 7D2 first!

I have a couple of DOTphoto batteries (from Amazon) that work perfectly in both my 7D2, battery grip and charger - they may be an alternative if yours don't work in the camera.

Good luck!

I just use my old 7D charger for all my batteries since the 7DII charger refused to talk to my cheapo generic battery. It does the job.

The Canon batteries are "Chipped" to try and stop you buying better and/or cheaper alternatives to the Canon branded ones. If your Hahnel batteries function properly in the camera then I would just get an aftermarket charger - but test them in your 7D2 first!

I have a couple of DOTphoto batteries (from Amazon) that work perfectly in both my 7D2, battery grip and charger - they may be an alternative if yours don't work in the camera.

Good luck!

Hi John Thankyou for looking at my thread, yes they do work in the 7d2, once you ok the LCD screen to proceed. When I used them in the 7d they were very good and always charged ok. After charging them in the new 7d2 charger the blinking light stays on forever never (I think) fully charging them, so when placed in the 7d2 camera it signifies only a quarter charge or less and soon runs out. Unfortunately I traded in the 7d charger and camera so cannot reconfirmed my suspicions that the charger (7d2) is deliberately not not fully charging the hahnels? Because they lack the chip? I am reluctant to throw 3 batteries away.
Kind regards Mike

I asked eBay to search for "Canon Eos 7D charger", and a whole range was offered - including some genuine Canon chargers. When I changed the search string to "Canon Eos 7D MkII charger" the results were quite different, with more emphasis on battery-handgrips. Currently I can't find my 7D charger, but that for my 7D MkII is from Canon and very nearly identical with that for my 5D MkII from some years ago.

Hi, I only use canon batteries in my 7d mk2, I find the non OME work for 2 to 300 shots and then show empty. If I then put them in my 7d they show full and work just fine. I'm using the mk2 charger and they all show full after about an hour of charging.

I made some comments in this thread, and my red battery for my 7D II is still going strong.

http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=324125

Having recommended this 3rd. party battery, I ought to report that after draining it yesterday, and letting it get a bit cold (~7degC), it took several false starts (~4 to 6) before my Canon charger started charging it properly. It now registers as 100% plus 3 green rectangles on my camera's battery condition monitor.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back