• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Guided Visiting Birder To See CA Specialties (1 Viewer)

avesjohn

This morning, I guided a visiting birder from the Las Vegas, NV area through Eaton Canyon in the foothills of the San Gabriel Mountains, about 1.7 miles one way from the nature center and parking lot to the waterfall at the end. He has family in the Pasadena area, and comes here every few months, but still hadn't seen a lot of California's specialties, so after being put into contact with each other by a local Audubon society member, we headed out on the trail this morning.

It was a moderately successful outing; we didn't see everything he'd hoped to see, but I still helped him to add six birds to his life list. For the curious, his lifers were California Quail, Nuttall's Woodpecker, Oak Titmouse, Canyon Wren (which was also my only year list addition for the day, #167 for 2015), Wrentit, and California Thrasher. Next time he returns to L.A., I can probably help him to see some more local specialties, just as he can return the favor with Vegas-area birds if and when I ever go there. It certainly is a great feeling when the birds you encounter all the time are cause for great excitement from your birding companion who isn't so used to seeing them.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back