• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

New Zeiss Victory SF !!!!!! (1 Viewer)

Jan
I'll get my address here in Indiana to you so you can send my new SF gift right away. :t::king:

Better adress this to Mike.
3 came in today, 3 were sold today. 3 are still in backorder, new orders will be delivered in week 8 2015.
If somebody wants them, they better act quick.
Nice Christmas to you too Proud Papa;);)

Jan

Not completely unique

though, the concept does not seem completely unique ... the famous Weaver Super Slam binos have the "inverted" focus knob placement ... released back in 2010, so they have been out a while.

This is the focus wheel in real life on the Weaver Super Slam 8.5x45, it gives you a natural hands forward placement on the objectives allowing for a very steady and relaxing view. They came on the market in 2009 I think.

Last edited:
Isn't this advertising?

Stan

Stan,

More like a well menth advice because Holland and Belgium have got a quotum of ten SFs in the first run and the backorders are sceduled between now and week 8 2015. All new orders are after week 8 2015.
If you take it as advertisement.....it's not, The SF doesn't need it.
It's like the old SV launch days. A waiting list of 4 months was normal in the beginning.
Sorry if it seemed like advertisement. Did not mean it to look that way!
Just tried to warn.

Jan

Jan:

Thanks for the photos, eye candy for some on here. ;)

I suppose you had not thought of this, but a new pair of binoculars
would make an excellent Christmas gift !

Jerry

Well, to be honost, CJ asked me to make a photo like this for comparison and since this is her thread, who am I to refuse;)

Jan

Well, to be honost, CJ asked me to make a photo like this for comparison and since this is her thread, who am I to refuse;)

Jan
Thanks Jan !

That's a very nice collection of bins! Surely a customer would be happy to walk out with one of those ..... o:)

There's no sugar coating that focus wheel position now .....

All of this 'focus' on the SF's balance point is a bit of a marketing 'sleight of hand' when you consider that the focus wheel is so far forward that your hands are forced to locate in front of the c of g. (and no Lee, there's nothing apologist ;) you can say to change that ! :brains: )

What remains to be seen (felt) is how that pans out in the hand, and the real world loading on the glasses / shoulders (mine have been sounding like a plate of rice bubbles lately - 'snap' 'crackle' 'pop') .... :eek!:

Like Dennis --- I can't wait to try them !

Chosun :gh:

Thanks Jan !

All of this 'focus' on the SF's balance point is a bit of a marketing 'sleight of hand' when you consider that the focus wheel is so far forward that your hands are forced to locate in front of the c of g. (and no Lee, there's nothing apologist ;) you can say to change that ! :brains: )

Like Dennis --- I can't wait to try them !

Chosun :gh:

CJ nice to hear from you after such a long silence :t:

The SF point balance and c of g are exactly as they are designed to be, and nothing to apologise for.

I hope you get to try some soon.

BTW so sorry to hear about the death of batsman Philip Hughes. What an awful tragedy.

Lee

Thanks Jan! Very nice pics, I like this size comparison. I'm quote surprised to see that the SLC is as compact as the Ultravid, wasn't aware of that...

Florian,

My 7x42 SLC B is quite a bit larger than my Leica 7x42 Trinovid BN and my 8x42 Ultravid. Is the new SLC significantly smaller than the old SLC?

Bob

My 2 Leica 42s, both the Tinovid and the Ultravid, are really short binoculars compared to my 7x42 SLC and 7x42 Victory FL.

Bob

I had to look again for myself, the 10x are with eye cups in and the 8x (8.5) are with eye cups out. The HD plus has the mark on front!!Jan

Ah ok, thanks! The 8x and 10x versions are slightly different in size, I checked the specs (length, I assume all with eyecups in):
Ultravid HD+ 8x42: 142 mm
Ultravid HD+ 10x42: 147 mm
SLC 8x42: 149 mm
SLC 10x42: 144 mm
old SLC 7x42 B: 164 mm

And to be back on topic:
Victory SF 8x42 and 10x42: 173 mm

So we can take that as your confirmation, that the production units are as good as the prototypes you described back than? ;)

The (3 units) came in Friday and left the building same day. I am waiting for the rest to come, so I can't really say, but they can't be worse;)

Jan

Got an email from Eagle Optics yesterday that the SF 8x42's I pre-ordered were in. They are now with FedEx "out for delivery" - I should receive them late today. I certainly don't have the technical experience/expertise of many BF members, but I would be happy to post my impressions after I have had a chance to use them. If you are interested in anything in particular, just let me know and I will do my best (please remember I am not an engineer! - <grin>)
Steve

Got an email from Eagle Optics yesterday that the SF 8x42's I pre-ordered were in. They are now with FedEx "out for delivery" - I should receive them late today. I certainly don't have the technical experience/expertise of many BF members, but I would be happy to post my impressions after I have had a chance to use them. If you are interested in anything in particular, just let me know and I will do my best (please remember I am not an engineer! - <grin>)
Steve

Steve,

Please make a picture of the objective covers. I promised to do so tomorrow, but forgot I don't have anymore.

Thanks,

Jan

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back