• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

New Zeiss Victory SF !!!!!! (5 Viewers)

My 6.5X32 Vortex Fury has the same FOV as the 8X42 SF, so I know basically what that looks like. What I don't know is what that FOV looks like at 8X and with state of the art optics. I guess what I'm thinking is that extra FOV is nice but overall optical quality rules the day for me anyway. I hope I can compare the 10X42 to my SV. This scintillating thought should bring the thread back on topic. :-O

Seriously though, it must be this one, which is about the "smart focus": https://www.google.ch/patents/DE102...de&dq=zeiss+binocular&ei=XppzVKCPD8y8Pf3ngLAN

interesting, patent seems relevant to the SF (Fig 6), but also the HT (Fig 3):

"[0011] Therefore, the object is to provide a binocular optical remote device that is ergonomic and easy to use. This is to be achieved that during observation and transport in an intuitive way, the tubes with the whole hand may be included and also a focus knob can be used to adjust the object distance by an easily accessible place."

though, the concept does not seem completely unique..
(ergonomic wise, the third bridge I guess is mostly for durability?)

Bushnel:
http://www.microglobe.co.uk/bushnell-infinity-zoom-8-16x42-open-bridge-binocular-p-6945.html

And also the famous Weaver Super Slam binos have the "inverted" focus knob placement

http://swfa.com/Super-Slam-C1841.aspx

released back in 2010, so they have been out a while.

Attachments

• imagemagic.php.jpeg
    imagemagic.php.jpeg
    43.2 KB · Views: 143
  • weaver_bino_superslam.gif
    weaver_bino_superslam.gif
    50.6 KB · Views: 130
Last edited:
When Gerold Dobler gave a presentation about the construction of the SF at the introduction of the binoculars at the Dutch Birding Association, he told us that some aspects of the SF construction were protected by patents (perhaps of importance to those readers of this forum who are of the opinion that after the nineties of the past centuries no new binocular developments did take place). Perhaps Lee may know more about these patents.
Gijs

Gijs

Sorry to report that in my discussions with Gerold, we did not touch on the subject of patents.

Lee

Down here in euro's ex VAT it is 1.999,00 and 2.039,00.

Jan

Jan,

Is that less than the HT costs in Europe ex VAT? What does the HT cost there?

The Victory 8x42 T* HT costs $2,249.99 at Eagle Optics here so it wouldn't surprise me if the SF will cost $2575.00.

Bob

Last edited:
Down here in euro's ex VAT it is 1.999,00 and 2.039,00.Jan

That's the list price of around 2400 € (to use our nice hieroglyth ;) ). Most dealers would probably offer it for less, once available, e.g. this German dealer shows it for 2145 €, which is 1800 € or 2240 US$ without VAT. That is, of course, before prices go up in January ;)

Jan,

Is that less than the HT costs in Europe ex VAT? What does the HT cost there?

The Victory 8x42 T* HT costs $2,249.99 at Eagle Optics here so it wouldn't surprise me if the SF will cost $2575.00.

Bob

Bob,

Ex VAT the prices are:
1.719,00; 1.759,00; 1.929,00 and 1.969,00 euro.
These are the RRP.
Every retailer sells them minus 10%.

Jan

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back