• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Mallorca 2017 (5 Viewers)

2 more pics from yesterday's Siberian chiffchaff look-a-like at Albufereta.
Would welcome any comment on same.
Brian

Why not put the photos on the Bird ID part of Birdforum - sure to get some decent comments there.

I've never seen one down here in southern Portugal but I've seen a couple of candidates that slipped by with no call - if I saw one like yours I'd be keen on clinching it too ;)

Boquer Valley entrance 1st light. Wryneck, cirl bunting, blue rock thrush, booted eagle & 6 ravens. Plus lots of common stuff.

Re my chiffchaff pics. I will but them on bird ID section when I get home. The ones published here are just iPhone snaps of camera LCD screen. Thanks. Brian

Hello! It's nice to know there is people keeping this forum active! I have just registered.

Malkoa, Garganeys were first seen for first time this year in Mallorca 3 days ago, and since then they have been detected in different sites. I don't think it will take you long to see them too. I spotted arround 30 specimens yesterday at Ca'n Guidet, just next to the airport.

Nice to meet you all! :)

Sorry, I did not post my Gargany sighting, but my earlier photo was taken on 28 February, just one individual at Albufera. Is this an early record for Mallorca?

Hi Mike and others on this thread

counting down the days until we are back on Mallorca again ( from 8 April). Great to get a feel of whats around. Will post my sightings ( based in Llenaire area of Pto Pollensa). However if you find yourself in NW of Island between 8-17 Id be delighted to meet for few hours birding or even just to say Hello and put face to names!

thanks
Chris

Hi Chris, I am in the United States for the whole of April. I would have liked to meet up so I'm sorry I won't be around for your visit. Have a great time and I hope you see lots of good things, it's a productive time of the year to be on the Island. Mike

Hi Clive, 5th March seems to be the earliest date I can find but they do overwinter apparently, but only rarely. I guess your bird could be either although I don't remember one being reported this winter before your date so surely an early migrant.
I have some respite from endless guests so I hope we can meet up soon. Mike

Arta yesterday; serins everywhere and thekla larks uphill with booted eagles galore.
C'an Carrusa 1st light today ; 6 spotless starlings behind hotel Club del Sol.
Brian

Attachments

• IMG_9610.jpg
    IMG_9610.jpg
    317.5 KB · Views: 139
  • IMG_9612.jpg
    IMG_9612.jpg
    483.2 KB · Views: 111
  • IMG_9611.jpg
    IMG_9611.jpg
    514.5 KB · Views: 121
Hi Brian, many thanks, good to know Spotless Starlings have been seen, lots of people want to go and see them.
I have been thinking about your Chiff-chaff a lot. Identifying birds from photos is notoriously difficult (that's my excuse anyway) as I posted a Pipit on the forum and got three different suggestions.
Your bird looks good though with much colder grey colouration and lack of yellow and green tinges. It will be interesting to see what they say but it looks very good from the photos you have posted. I will keep an eye on the forum. Mike

Hi Brian. With regard to your egret photos, there have been a few sighted and posted on various forums. The general opinion seems to be that they are all hybrids, garzetta/gularis. Hope this helps, I have got lots of photos of last year's bird but they were not the same bird as the one seen at Albufereta. Mike

Some shots from Bishop 1 hide from last week

Attachments

• stilts-bf.jpg
    stilts-bf.jpg
    462.2 KB · Views: 163
  • MARBLED-DUCK-bf.jpg
    MARBLED-DUCK-bf.jpg
    530.8 KB · Views: 148
  • snipe-drip-bf.jpg
    snipe-drip-bf.jpg
    83 KB · Views: 146
  • gargany-bf.jpg
    gargany-bf.jpg
    282.3 KB · Views: 140
Some balcony views and a few of the birds seen from there

Attachments

• balcony-sunset-bf.jpg
    balcony-sunset-bf.jpg
    117.9 KB · Views: 127
  • litbit2-bf.jpg
    litbit2-bf.jpg
    106.3 KB · Views: 144
  • biteye-bf.jpg
    biteye-bf.jpg
    123.6 KB · Views: 156
  • audi-bf.jpg
    audi-bf.jpg
    392 KB · Views: 156
Bird of the trip was definitely The Alpine Accentors, they posed for fun and great to see how detailed their plumage is.
These birds were at Mirador Car Park Formentor
Big Thanks to all who posted about the birds whereabouts.

Attachments

• alpine-2-bf.jpg
    alpine-2-bf.jpg
    218.5 KB · Views: 140
  • alpine-4-bf.jpg
    alpine-4-bf.jpg
    157.3 KB · Views: 140
  • alpine-5-bf.jpg
    alpine-5-bf.jpg
    166.3 KB · Views: 150
  • alpine6-bf.jpg
    alpine6-bf.jpg
    117.5 KB · Views: 125
And a few from Mortix and one of its finest wines

Attachments

• mortix-1-bf.jpg
    mortix-1-bf.jpg
    491 KB · Views: 147
  • mortix-bf.jpg
    mortix-bf.jpg
    262.6 KB · Views: 132
  • finest-from-mortix-bf.jpg
    finest-from-mortix-bf.jpg
    169.6 KB · Views: 149
Thanks Bob, brilliant photos as usual. I especially liked the sunset over the marsh, a real competition winner! Sadly there will be no calendar next year otherwise it would surely be chosen.
I went to Salobrar for an hour, just off the Es Trenc road. Nine Gargany hiding amongst the rocks running through the salt pans, maybe more. No other news yet today. Mike

2 more pics from yesterday's Siberian chiffchaff look-a-like at Albufereta.
Would welcome any comment on same.
Brian

Always a bit hard to judge colour tones from photos, but looks spot on to me - buffy ear coverts etc. Certainly, from the photos, it looks like the ones I see in Cornwall pretty regularly

Hi,

Just joined the forum.
Great pictures of Alpine Accentor. I'm heading over to Majorca at the beginning of April, what are the chances of Alpine Accentor still being around? Cheers, Dave

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back