• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Opticron's new Travelscope (1 Viewer)

Ha! It is what I had to work with. Plus, what I remember from some of the most emotionally moving wildlife videos is that the music tended to be either classical or folksy in nature. ;)

Thank you Motts. I really enjoyed sharing them as much as I did taking them. I think they do a nice job of showing off the image quality of the scope. More to follow for sure.

Just got word that my MM3 60 mm shipped today. I should have it Thursday or Friday. I look forward to comparing the two sizes.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    390.7 KB · Views: 157
Thank you Motts. I really enjoyed sharing them as much as I did taking them. I think they do a nice job of showing off the image quality of the scope. More to follow for sure.

Just got word that my MM3 60 mm shipped today. I should have it Thursday or Friday. I look forward to comparing the two sizes.

Do I recall Opticron saying on this very forum that there where no plans for a MM3 60mm? after a customer had seen a 60mm label somewhere !

Or was I dreaming?

Jon

Jon,

There are a couple threads, including the one you referenced, addressing that issue in this subforum.

I think it basically boils down to the fact that they didn't want to let the cat out of the bag way back in March when the 50 mm just debuted and they weren't entirely sure of the reception that it would get....at least that is my take on it.

I'm glad I wasnt dreaming Frank, I'm a bit disapointed to be honest I thought long and hard before jumping in for the 50mm and I remember when I saw the "60mm" mentioned should I wait for that. then it was denied so I bought the 50mm.
However suppose that is how business's work one model then shortly after a similar model with a slight advancement. It's the same with mobile phones.
Jon

Jon,

I can relate to where you are coming from. I am going to do a thorough comparison of the two configurations and post my thoughts and comparisons here. I don't know your specific requirements but the differences between the two configurations may not warrant a sense of disappointment. In other words they may be exceptionally close in overall performance with the one having the advantage of size versus the other's advantage in magnification/brightness. Slight in both cases.

I should know shortly.

The fact that there will be a 60mm would'nt have affected my choice to buy the 50mm MM3. I have 3 60mm jobs, 2 x Kowas and an Opticron, the latter is more or less the same size as the MM3. I just wanted the smaller size with the zoom lens for ease of transport as i generally walk/cycle and for travelling abroad. The fact that i was able to use/adapt an iphone 4s for recording stuff was also a pull. I am still, in the main, a binocular birder but it's a great bit of kit and for the size and price i can't praise it enuff. I just wish i had better local birding to warrant using it!:C

Laurie:t:

I can ask. The 60mm already shipped, in fact I expect it tomorrow.

What I plan on doing is to take digiscoped shots through each scope to illustrate any optical differences.

Care to elaborate Allan?

With its miniscule lens the iPhone would add a "weak link" to the combined optical system -- the spotting scope objective (a highly corrected triplet), the eyepiece, and your discerning eye. I think the digiscoping images would lack the image quality needed to uncover the subtle differences in the MM3 50mm and 60mm.

Fair enough. I will post my initial impressions based solely on my vision first and then some digiscoped shots later.

Allan, I also think that your point is well taken, but if Frank happens to have shots that illustrate something he has seen with his eyes, then I think those shots should be included right away.

Niels

...if Frank happens to have shots that illustrate something he has seen with his eyes, then I think those shots should be included right away.

Such shots must be taken under conditions which will insure that vibration is not the cause of any perceived difference between images. A self-timer to delay the shutter release is a must. Here is an app which can do that: https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/self-timer/id346475986?mt=8

For that app to be effective, of course, the iPhone must be attached to the eyepiece somehow.

Allan,

We are all good. Actually I have a couple of apps with a self timer, plus one that does voice activation and I can use the factory included earbuds to act as a shutter release via the volume button. Also, I would strive to do immediate side by sides of a specific object in quick succession.

As for an attachment device, all my recent images and video have been with the IPhone securely attached to the MM3 50 via the Carson Hookupz IPhone adapter. It works well with the HDF fixed power eyepiece provided I don't use any of their rubber adapter rings.

MM3 60ED digiscoped pigeon

Hello, all,

This is my first posting here of an image, so I hope it is works satisfactorily. Just a Wood Pigeon feeding on beans. It gets no marks for artistic merit - that was not the purpose

It was taken with my Opticron MM3 60 ED with SDL v2 at, as a best estimate, about 40x. The compact camera used was a Canon Powershot S110 at 85mm focal length.

According to my bridge camera, the pigeon was about 28 metres away, about 90 feet. The raw file was processed and saved as a psd file . At my printer’s native resolution of 300 dpi the image was 13.33 x 8.88 inches which is a reasonable size for printing and mounting in a 20 x16 inch frame.

The equivalent focal length of the scope camera combination was about 3,400 mm.

Clearly the image is much reduced to meet forum limits.

Attachments

• IMG_0333sharper.jpg
    IMG_0333sharper.jpg
    391.1 KB · Views: 378
Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back