• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Opticron's new Travelscope (3 Viewers)

Gwen,

The last few pics and the video I posted of the hummer were all taken with the 18x. I agree with your suggestion that the 18x should be somewhat of the "sweet spot" considering the 50 mm objective.

Frank,

This thread is getting quite long, and I have not found the link to the 18X eyepiece. I'd like to know where to buy this.

Thank you Bryce. I have been doing a lot of digiscoping with the MM3. I uploaded a ton of photos to my flickr page. Some are strictly documentary level but others turned out much better than expected.

https://m.flickr.com/#/photos/73029961@N07/

Aostling,

Any of the authorized Opticron dealers should have it. I bought mine from Opticscamp. The model number is 40809M.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    285.6 KB · Views: 199
Last edited:
Thank you ON. I did use the "one-touch fix" on the IPhone's editing program. It adds a little to the areas you mentioned. Here is the same pic without it.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    338.9 KB · Views: 118
By definition there is no definate end to a thread or a piece of string for that matter as the length is either indeterminate or unknown;)

Laurie:t:

Found a new application for the MM3 50. Obviously too low in magnification for any serious astronomical use but it was fun showing the family the moon on my IPhone while it was mounted to the MM3 tonight.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    64.6 KB · Views: 210
Last edited:
I can't find Frank's thread on the Opticron MM3 60mm. It seems to have disappeared.

This highlights a shortcoming of the forum's search engine, which says the term "mm3" does not meet the minimum length requirement for a search word.

Allan,

I will repost it. Apparently I jumped the gun a bit. One of the US retailers listed the info ahead of time and I noticed it. The scope isn't set to debut until this weekend at Birdfair (UK) and Tuscon Birding and Wildlife Festival(US). I was given the ok to repost what I found by the folks at Opticron since the festivals are only a few days away.

http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?p=3050284#post3050284

Last edited:
Allan,

Thank you. The soundtrack is one provided by YouTube as an option to add when uploading videos. I thought it was the most appropriate for that particular video. In the app it is called "court and page".

Ratal,

Not far compared to some of my other digiscoping attempts. I am going to attach a pic showing the actual spot where the video was taken. In the pic I was standing on the left where the white pickup is parked. The Egret was just to the left of the grassy mound. I would estimate no
more than about 15 meters. I was using the 18x eyepiece on the scope and had a partial zoom with the IPhone. Will post a cropped pic of the same bird in a subsequent post

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    177.4 KB · Views: 141
With just a scope and phone - cracking stuff.

That piece of music matches the birds head movements almost to a tee, nicely chosen. I'm off to Spain shortly and luk forward to doing a bit more digiscoping with video footage.....

Laurie:t:

Thank you Ratal. I really have been enjoying using it for digiscoping. I look forward to comparing the 50 mm to the 60 mm in the next week or two.

On a related note, that one video of the Great Blue Heron turned out a bit better than I expected. I was just watching it on the YouTube app on my boys' Xbox one and it looks just as good on the big screen as it does on the IPhone. No pixelation at all. Really surprised.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back