• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Snowy / Kentish Plover (1 Viewer)

bobsofpa

I did a database search on Snowy Plover and got no hits. As I really did not think you were missing this bird, I then tried the scientific name, Charadrius alexandrinus , and got the Kentish Plover. Are these the same birds? I assume so as both have the same scientific name. They should be listed in the database under both names as Snowy Plover is the name used in both the National Geographic and Sibley Guides and, I assume again, it is the name used on the western side of the Atlantic.

Same Species, Kentish Pover is the name used in the Old World. A bit like the Arctic Skua / Parasitic Jaeger situation, and shows the value of scientific names.

Darrell

I believe we get our scientific names from the Sibley & Monroe list. Cuckooroller normally keeps us correct on them.

When I add any birds I will try to see if there are any other known names and will put them in the information box.

As Darrell states I think it is better to try with the scientific name than "common" to maybe your area or Country. It also stops some confusion when people might refer to a bird as a "Robin" as you are well aware the European and US ones are very different and in the DB we have 98 birds with Robin in their names

I had no problem with the scientific name (I use Sibley). I believe what needs to be done is to cross reference the listing so that when a search is done on "Snowy Plover" you are connected to the Kentish Plover file where there is a note that it is also known as the Snowy Plover. I am sure there are many people who use this web site that do not use scientific names. I normally do not. I did in this case because I could just not believe that such a common bird as the Snowy Plover would not be in the Database.

Marmot said:
I believe we get our scientific names from the Sibley & Monroe list. Cuckooroller normally keeps us correct on them.

When I add any birds I will try to see if there are any other known names and will put them in the information box.

As Darrell states I think it is better to try with the scientific name than "common" to maybe your area or Country. It also stops some confusion when people might refer to a bird as a "Robin" as you are well aware the European and US ones are very different and in the DB we have 98 birds with Robin in their names

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back