• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Which sun shade (1 Viewer)

Diane

I have purchased the 5x from Eagle Eye and wish now that I had seen this site before as it would ahve saved me a few quid.

I hope you get your camera back soon so you can try out the 5x on it.

I am going out this afternoon to try out using the sun shade. Having said that the inevitable has happened. I get the sun shade and guess what? no sun. It as grey as heck out there right now but at least I can get used to using it.

John,

I saw you using your lens at Slimbash. I have seen one at the West Midlands Bird Fair last year, but I want to give it a good test before getting one. I'd hate to spend all that money and not be happy.

I have seen some cheaper lenses - I think one is called the CrystalVue and there is one by Kenko. I think for cheaper, read poorer quality. So I'm holding on to my cash for a while longer. Probably get one out of my redundancy money.

As a matter of interest, what was the postage on the Xtend-a-view?

Thanks Ian and john,
Ive ordered my xtend a view mini today from america :)

(Not that we get much sun in the isle of man :)

I've just looked at the Photosolve site - you could have warned me there was a picture of Maggie Thatcher (the Milk Snatcher) on it. I need a stiff drink (any excuse !).

Tony

Diane

The postage was $5 for the cheaper mail but I still got it within 3 days. I have used it today but I haven't seen the results yet. I can tell you that it as absolute brilliant tool for keeping your eye on the bird because you keep body contact with the camera throughout. this is because you put your eye to the viewfinder and use it as you would when looking through the camera's own viewfinder. Forget the fact that it is a sun shade, buy it for ease of use of the camera.

I find the current monitor shades on offer commercially a rip-off price wise.Being just a fairly old neanderthal person, I remember using a thing called a 'waist-level finder' which clipped on to ye olde slr cameras. They usually fold flat and have a built-in flip-up magnifier and do a much better job than some stuff about at present.

So, force yourself and visit a camera fair or secondhand shop and search 'em out.I've just bought an old Exakta one for a tenner, and with a bit of ingenuity you can attach it to your digicam.

....mind you, like all of 'em, it's still like focussing through a net curtain but that 's the fault of the LCD designers.

Alternatively chop the bottom off a slide viewer, attach some elastic and hey presto, you have a sunshade equally as good as the eagle eye one and for just £2. I ought to be on Blue Peter.

Mark

Hi Steve

I`ve just bought a camera bellows LCD sunshade viewer it`s got a 2x magnification & folds flat when not in use,works a treat.It cost me about £37 inc p+p.

Regards Steve.

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back