• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Bird of the year? (1 Viewer)

Seems to have been a quite year all round. No long trip this year for me so, apart from Japanese Night-Heron on Okinawa and Scaly-sided Merganser on Honshu, the Dutch Hawk Owl had to be my most memorable bird. A sneaky day out from a family holiday in Turkey turned up Red-fronted Serin, among other stuff, which wasn't bad either.

Chris

p.s. Congratulations on your PhD Morgan. Got mine this year, as well. :t:

C

Oh I still don't have mine :) But with two chapter submitted and a third one almost ready to send out, its almost there...

Siskin,Brambling and Coal Tit as garden ticks strang how such little thing give such joy.

All three cracking birds, I think Brambling would be my vote too after seeing one in my garden back in April, the first time I'd seen one. Though I've not been out much this year it's a difficult choice; I would probably put it on a par together with the Stone-curlew I saw in Suffolk in the spring, the Hobby on my patch and the Spotted Flycatcher and Ravens in Dorset over the summer.

For me it's defenetly the crested tits. I was with a friend when we finally spotted it into the Foreste Casentinesi National Park in February. It was the first observation for that side of the park and the first observation for that province.

UK - Sparrowhawk perched on Dad's next door neighbours roof and being able to have serious eye to eye contact.
Costa rica - Tramping through the mid level forest on a little used track at Savegre, me with a dodgy knee, and me, my wife and our guide getting relentlessly attacked by flying insects (not small )and the other two asking when we should turn back when suddenly a large bird flew off in front of us to some trees a little further on. Another bird soon followed but was also still too quick to see what it was. We rounded a bend in the track and found ourselves face to face with a resplendant quetzal. (Even if it was with it's back to us but with head turned round to look at us.). After many moments and (mostly crappy) photos it flew of with another 5 or 6 we hadn't seen previously to another tree. We searched that tree (and inspite of their colourations) we were unable to find them again. The smaller and annoying flying things got the better of us and we had to give up.

In the UK, as far as rarities go, it has to be the Lesser Grey Shrike a few weeks ago in Northumberland...my only successful "twitch" this year (not that I tried for many, mind you!). But then special mention for January and February seemingly full of Waxwing sightings locally.

Further afield, finding a pair of stone curlew in the same place on two consecutive visits to El Hondo in Spain during the summer; one of three lifers for the holiday.

Good question with a combination of answers.....

for shear determination that this bird was not going to elude us (Myself and Goyter`s trip to Finland \ Norway) after 6 days of missing it ..... Siberian Jay showed up with 15 minutes to spare before we headed back to camp and onto the airport. Its also a bit of a stunner.

And for shear awesome quality of bird it has to be the Lilac Breasted Rollers in KNP.

Attachments

• IMG_1357.jpg
    IMG_1357.jpg
    182.9 KB · Views: 38
  • 473.jpg
    473.jpg
    404.1 KB · Views: 52
For me it's defenetly the crested tits. I was with a friend when we finally spotted it into the Foreste Casentinesi National Park in February. It was the first observation for that side of the park and the first observation for that province.

Pretty special! I'd love to take a holiday in Scotland one day and maybe see these.

9 Snow Buntings, yesterday afternoon in a gravel pit is the best I can offer ;-)

:t:

UK - Sparrowhawk perched on Dad's next door neighbours roof and being able to have serious eye to eye contact.

There's definitely something :eek!: about eye contact with Sparrowhawks, I'd hate to be a Blue Tit eye to eye with one!

:t:

There's definitely something :eek!: about eye contact with Sparrowhawks, I'd hate to be a Blue Tit eye to eye with one![/QUOTE]

20ft away and a window between us and I still had reason to fear

I have been watching this thread and there have been some amazing birds seen. I have tried to think what my bird of the year would be, having only started birding and listing last year I have so many lifers.
Some of the best thing I have seen are,

C600-700 Avocets
C400- 600 Black- tailed Godwits also a large group of them flying in to feed a spectacular sight.
My first Little Ringed Plover
My First Ruff

There are so many I think all of them , though I am rather pleased about finding a Cetti's Warbler just across the road from were I live and getting a picture.
River Allen-7669 (800x533).jpg

My first Hawk Owl - Sibelius Park, Helsinki - Saturday 7th December. Uncropped photo below - pending my computer getting repaired.

All the best

Paul

Attachments

• Hawk Owl (Sibelius Park).jpg
    Hawk Owl (Sibelius Park).jpg
    260.2 KB · Views: 57
Touché! You got me there, that's auto-suggestion (or not enough coffee this morning) for you, my eyes told me woodPECKER, hence my scandalous suggestion that the alcohol was making you see an extinct (or is it!) species.
Humble apologies etc etc|:$|

I have to admit, Sue's list threw me for a couple of seconds as well - then I saw the location...

Rarest bird for me would have to be Blue-footed Booby. The hardest earned bird - Sooty Grouse in the Easter Sierras. Took about an hour of hiking up an extremely steep hill + another hour of staring into the same tree until I finally saw it.

The biggest milestone would be #300 on my ABA list which was a Calliope Hummingbird, also in the Eastern Sierras.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back