• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

New Sigma 150/600 (1 Viewer)

hi roy
i was a bit concerned about buying the sigma because its a new lens and its always a bit of a gamble as the i q might not have been as good as they say it is but i wanted the versitility of a zoom lens and a bit longer reach than my canon 400 5.6
so far im well chuffed with the images that its producing and im a happy and relived boy
chris
your not alone in that chris ,skies cleared last thing tonight here ,got some gulls in flight posted four on flickr all hand held ,once you start shooting any weight issues go out the window

Attachments

• gull 3 .jpg
    gull 3 .jpg
    113.6 KB · Views: 133
  • gull 2.jpg
    gull 2.jpg
    196 KB · Views: 170
Last edited:
,once you start shooting any weight issues go out the window
Not for a 71 year old weakling like me Jeff :-O I got rid of the 300/2.8 because of the weight and that was a fair bit lighter than the Siggy.
If I got this lens I would almost certainty use it with a tripod most of the time. I must admit it is starting to look interesting.

Last edited:
i,m only two years behind you roy ,twice the reach of the 300 and twice the quality of the tammy roy
But are you a weakling with dodgy hips Jeff ;) I always shot the 300 as a 600/5.6 Jeff but it was still too heavy for my style. I have no doubt that it is better than the Tammy (remember I had one for 3 months or so and got rid of it) but I do not know about twice as good - hard to claim that I would have thought just as something like a Canon 600/4 mkII would not be twice as good as the Siggy .

Last edited:
Has anyone got any sample shots taken at the long end with a 1.4x tc even if it is just Ducks or Gulls (or even a static object at a push). Interested as I would need a bit more than 600mm if I were to use it on a FF Camera.

heres a few from the trip paul ,4 days around various reserves fens ,all shots taken hand held as well .pleased with performance to date ,you soon get used to the weight ,and adapt a style of carrying it .hit rate a bit higher than the 400mm 5.6 ,for instance i got a fox running across and away from me took a 22 shot burst and got 22 sharp images ,been using it tripod mounted on b.i.f today in high winds will let you know later ,but heres a few from suffolk .the scops owl is a friends pet

Attachments

• winging it.jpg
    winging it.jpg
    88.2 KB · Views: 156
  • FACE OFF !.jpg
    FACE OFF !.jpg
    63.7 KB · Views: 99
  • a owled friend .jpg
    a owled friend .jpg
    565.7 KB · Views: 174
  • in the willows.jpg
    in the willows.jpg
    145.6 KB · Views: 149
couple more from today over the mega high tide ,gulls hunting for drowning voles .one thing i have found and i suppose its obvious really is this lens likes and needs good light to perform well .

Attachments

• flying salute .jpg
    flying salute .jpg
    161.8 KB · Views: 114
  • black backed prowler .jpg
    black backed prowler .jpg
    260.8 KB · Views: 122
Looking good. There's some lovely detail in the Scops and Chris's Robin. How well does it AF with the 70D compared with the 400? Also looks like the OS is effective with panning

if your referring to how fast does it a/f paul when set to 10mtrs to infinity or in the case of mine i have re-adjusted to 4 mtrs to infinity its in my estimate as fast to focus lock as the 400mm f5.6 on either the 1D3 or 70D .the only change in that is it does perform better in good light i.e even faster but thats just a gut feeling read as virtually instant .the main and only problem i have encountered so far is in d.o.f you have to realise that with close birds etc the dof is extremely shallow at 600mm and as i posted elsewhere by stopping down you don't get a much sharper image but you do increase the dof to a more pleasing level ,which i think some reviewers are classing as sharpness .heres a shot of a close flying gull ,note the sharpness on the body at f6.3 but the lack of depth over the fore and rear wings

Attachments

• saturday cruiser .jpg
    saturday cruiser .jpg
    212.3 KB · Views: 171
Cheers Jeff, I like the look of that BHG - and the Scops shots have great detail (plus it's an adorable owl).

Have you had to micro adjust the AF or found it usable out of the box? I also noted that you have decided to let your 400 5.6 go - you are that happy with the new Sigma?

Thanks for your time and insights, much appreciated

Paul

Cheers Jeff, I like the look of that BHG - and the Scops shots have great detail (plus it's an adorable owl).

Have you had to micro adjust the AF or found it usable out of the box? I also noted that you have decided to let your 400 5.6 go - you are that happy with the new Sigma?

Thanks for your time and insights, much appreciated

Paul

so far no micro adjust needed taken well over a thousand shots in the last week of varied targets using either the 1d3 or 70d ,so far i don't think theres any need for M/A but will check it out properly on the local gull population in the week weather permitting ..its been a hectic week for me rest assured .
and yes the 400 f5.6 is for sale in a variety of places this is a better all rounder imho .the sigma has passed every test ,speed/focus lock/portability /sharpness /and general ease of use .it helps that i,m 6'1" and built like a brick shit house :-O

Yeah, the weight is discouraging me - and the price! Will have to keep my mind open to the contemporary and see how that performs when it finally materializes. I'm still wanting to keep my 400 if I can; took some shots of water rail in poor light a couple of weeks back and was pleased with the way they came out. On the other hand your buzzard shots were good too.

Lucky I don't have to make a rush decision - been umming and arring since the Tamron came out :smoke:

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back