• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Where to go at the end of March?? (1 Viewer)

SimonC

Still listing - I'll capsize one day
Hello,

I've got most of my birding trips pencilled in for the first half of the year, based on where I think would be best for any given time of year. Got a bit stuck for the end of March though. I usually stay within East Anglia, so any suggestions for a "good" destination for that time of year?

A bit different but it is about that time I go to Gigrin Farm, Rhayder for the Red Kites.

http://www.gigrin.co.uk

The feeding starts around 14:00 hrs and you will witness a wonderful spectacle with Red Kites, Buzzards, Ravens all over the place. In the morning you could visit the local RSPB run woods and even the nearby reservoirs. Possibly not vast amount of species but truly a wonderful day (especially if it's sunny).

March is a bit of a quiet time of year in some respects....though if this years arrivals is anything to go by we could be having all sorts of summer visitors by March!

What about a quick jaunt to Scotland - its possible to get winter birds like the Surf Scoters and White-winged Gulls, all the resident Scottish specialties, plus the Ospreys should be back on their territories too?

If thats too far afield the West Country has a good track record - who can forget March 2002 Black-eared Wheatear, Cattle Egrets Alpine Swift etc....

SimonC said:
Hello,

Simon,

If possible try Eilat, Israel. I know you are probably stuck in East Anglia, which is wonderful ( I have friends at Blakeney ) but Eilat after mid March is a tad better.

Raptor movement starts to pick up with thousands per day - given a north wind - plus the chance of overwintering species still hanging on before they return to the north. Wader movement at this time also picks up at north sewage ( actually it smells ok! ) and at the reservoirs....plus wonderful weather...and despite what the news says, very safe.

John Barclay.

Hi Simon,

You would have a terrific time in Islay at the end of March. All 45,000 geese of (possibly) 9 different species will still be there but spring will be getting going, lots of raptors, Choughs, divers, waders, gulls, Otters, seals, cetaceans, deer, fantastic scenery, whisky, people etc.

Oh, Simon, why not throw caution right out the window and head for Nebraska and the Platte River?

Tens of thousands of waterfowl -- and tens of thousands of Sandhill Cranes -- and, if you tie your shoes right, a Whooping Crane or two, perhaps.

I don't know the specific dates, but if you google "Wings over the Platte" you'll probably find something.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back