• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Where can I see an owl in London/Kent area (1 Viewer)

Kev666

Hello

I'm not really a birder, but I am desparate to see or hear an owl. Let me explain, my two kids are both working their way through the National Trust's 50 things to do before 11 list. For those unaware of this list, it's a scheme run by the National Trust to encourage kids to get out and do constructive things as opposed to watching TV all day. The 50 things on the list include things like make a raft, build a den, go wild swimming, get under an waterfall etc etc.

Anyways my kids have almost completed the 50 things to do list, a good effort as it was all done in one summer, but we have a big problem with one of the few remaining things to do. Its called "Call an owl" and the National Trust is asking us to go somewhere where there are owls and mimic their calls and to get the owls to respond.

Firstly does this really happen? Would the owls respond to an imitation call? Secondly, I have no idea of how or where to find an owl! I don't think I have ever seen one.

So, given that we live in South East London and have transport, where should we go? What time of the year is best? What time of the day or night? What owl species should we be looking for?

As my kids really want to complete this list (the National Trust does give prizes to anyone that ticks off all 50), I would seriously consider a guide for this one. Anyone willing to help my kids?

Thank you

Tawny Owls definately respond well to imitations of their calls - I'm sure someone can give you a local site for them. Seeing them is another matter though - using a torch is frowned upon by many, but then a single tawny Owl isn't going to get anywhere near the same attention and distraction as a vagrant Scops owl for example.
In terms of just seeing an owl, Sheppey is good for easy views of Short-eared and Barn, but I wouldn't fancy trying to imitate their calls, and most are just over wintering and less likely to respond to call there anyway
I've never found Little easy to get to respond to this or tape luring, but theyre so vocal theyre easy to find anyway - I've found up to 5 pairs in an evening/early night walk at places of high density

Hi Kev,

The one you want to look for is a Tawny Owl. They're actually quite common in England and have the iconic woohoo call (sounds on the RSPB site: http://www.rspb.org.uk/wildlife/birdguide/name/t/tawnyowl/index.aspx). I don't know any particular sites in your area, but they should be easy to find in almost any woodland or park; they breed in the middle of Southampton and we have one wintering in the 20 or so trees behind our garden. You could try finding one yourself first (they call just around sunset), or contact a local reserve manager/ranger.

Good luck and I hope the kids find one!

N

You should only really think of Tawny Owl and should find them at most deciduous woodland. They are calling now (heard one just the other night) Cemeteries are a good place to find them too but you need to be out after dark to hear them calling.
Hainault Forest is a really good place to hear them but I'm sure you could find them closer to south London.

The only time I ever saw a Tawny Owl (we don't have them here) was in Woodside Park, near Wood Green in London. Mind you, that was in 1986.

Last edited:
What was that cemetery featured on Springwatch that was in London? That had Tawny Owls.

Could've been Highgate cemetery. There's good birding to be had there and at nieghbouring Waterlow park. I think both would be good tawny owl habitat.

To make a call like a tawny owl you need to pinch together the 4 fingers on one hand and nestle the fingertips into the web between the thumb and forefinger of the other hand. Your thumbs and palms should now naturally come together and your other fingers wrap round like a ball (imagine you are holding a small mouse!). Now put your top lip above your thumb knuckles and practice blowing - a quiet Sunday in front of the telly is good for this. Once you have found a nice tone you can try raising and lowering your free fingers together for a pleasant tawny whoo-whoo-whooooo.
This is essential knowledge for children and the first one to crack it gets a prize obviously.
regards
Paul

Could've been Highgate cemetery. There's good birding to be had there and at nieghbouring Waterlow park. I think both would be good tawny owl habitat.

Yes - there are plenty of tawny owls around Highgate and they are calling every night at the moment. 2 roost in the gardens behind Jackson's Lane and this week have been calling from about an hour after sundown. There is usually a particularly vocal owl on Hampstead Heath which you can hear from the junction of Merton Lane and Millfield Lane - and it often sets off others in the woods in Kenwood. Highgate cemetery is reliable, as are both Highgate Woods and Queen's Woods.

I'm regularly hearing a tawny now as I shut the chickens up for the night. they don't just hoot, but also make a call like "ke-wic ke-wic"

Like all birds it can just be luck. Last year one chose to regularly perch on a dead branch above the chicken run.

reading the other posts regarding them in London, I was raised in southgate and one evening the family dog went beserk - a tawny owl was perched on the rooftop of a neighbouring house.

the winter months can be good as when the leaves are off the trees it can be easier to spot them

Last edited:
I lived in South-East London (Bromley) most of my life and Tawny owls could be found in most parks and large gardens. They used to visit my garden in West Wickham and call from around this time of year, November and December were good. Some parks were accessible at night like the country parks so good luck, they are a very evocative bird and I miss them as there are none here!

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back