• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Help with outdoor trousers! (1 Viewer)

llendorin

Birdwatching Noob Extraordinaire!
Hi folks,

Some of you will know that I'm not the smallest person in the world, and I'm now struggling to find a decent pair of outdoor trousers that can take a fair amount of abuse, but are cheap.

I thought about things like Regatta or Craghoppers, but they only go up to a 33" inside leg. At 6'4" tall, this just doesn't quite cut it for me.
Does anyone know of a brand that sells decent, hard wearing outdoor/activity trousers in a 34" or above inside leg?
I've had pairs of North Face Meridians and a Pair of Paramounts, both convertible... but you're talking £45 for the meridians and £60 for the paramounts. That's a wee bit much to be asking for something i plan on using all day, most days.

So, basically, I'm looking for a cheap pair of trousers i can use all day comfortably, but are long enough for someone of my size.
Any suggestions would be appreciated.

I don't bother with all the fancy Craghopper, North Face etc stuff anymore. North Face in particular feel like they would rip to shreds at the first sight of a bramble! And they never fit me either. I just get normal cotton ones that feel tougher, fit well and are comfier and more casual than the walking-type ones, and are usually cheaper. They get a lot of abuse from me but last fine. Howies make good ones but are only price-justifiable in the sale even though they're organic! You could check the website and see what's left.

I'm actually inclined to agree with you, the all cotton cargo pants are generally good enough wearing and more comfortable. They still have the leg length problem, though.

Try the many army surplus sites, top quality, very tough, cheap, and all sizes available.I find most of my clothing there and does not need to be camo gear.

Have you tried an agricultural retailer and the dickies range? Decent hard wearing cotton trousers, if you need also would sell waterproofs for all sorts of sizes. Must be something in one of your market towns?

If you know of a make and and a style that you like and the only problem is the leg length, what about wearing gaiters with them?

I'm also fairly tall and require a 34.5" inseam. The best outdoor pants that I have found so far are the Cabelas' Nailhead Trailhikers. Calbelas offers free hemming, out to I believe, a 36" or 37" inseam. They cost about $35.00 US. I purchased mine direct from their store but they should be offered on the net @ Cabela.com. I've been wearing them for maybe 5 or 6 years and have 4 pairs now, but I have yet to wear out the two original pairs! They are "cargo" style pants and have plenty of room and pockets to carry all your woodsy stuff.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back