• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Bins for Grandfather (1 Viewer)

Dancat

Im looking to buy a pair of bins for my grandfather for the holidays. He likes to tag along with me sometimes when I bird, and I think he would enjoy an upgrade from his 25 year old bushnells. Here are some needs:
1. Good eye relief (he wears glasses)
2. 8X mag
3. Overall good optics
4. Around $100 (willing to exceed if needed)
Roof or porro, any size.
Thanks,
Dan

I just turned 64 and I am a Grandfather and have the Leupold 6x30 Yosemite , I like it a lot. I have other binoculars of course. $65 after rebate for the 6 and $75 for the 8. The six is nice , less shake. I have even used it in the vehicle looking at distant signs on interstate roads, so we would be in the right lane for the turn off. I wasn't driving of course.

Although I personally prefer roofs over porros, the above advice is sound. A person of that generation may be more likely to prefer the "traditional" porro anyway. And I am A BIG fan of 6X (Vortex Viper 6X HD).

One possible roof that always catches my attention though in that pricerange is the Atlas Optics Radian...

Magnification 8x
Objective Lens Diameter 42 mm
Field of View 375 feet/1000 yards
Eye Relief 17.5 mm
Close Focus 6.5 feet
Weight 23.0 ounces
Dimensions (HxW) 5.4 x 5.0 inches
Weatherproofing Waterproof/Fogproof

http://www.eagleoptics.com/binoculars/atlas-optics/atlas-optics-radian-8x42-binocular

I have never handled one though. The reviews sure are glowing though.

Although I personally prefer roofs over porros, the above advice is sound. A person of that generation may be more likely to prefer the "traditional" porro anyway. And I am A BIG fan of 6X (Vortex Viper 6X HD).

One possible roof that always catches my attention though in that pricerange is the Atlas Optics Radian...

Magnification 8x
Objective Lens Diameter 42 mm
Field of View 375 feet/1000 yards
Eye Relief 17.5 mm
Close Focus 6.5 feet
Weight 23.0 ounces
Dimensions (HxW) 5.4 x 5.0 inches
Weatherproofing Waterproof/Fogproof

http://www.eagleoptics.com/binoculars/atlas-optics/atlas-optics-radian-8x42-binocular

I have never handled one though. The reviews sure are glowing though.

I'll have to check that out. Thanks all for the recommendations.

I can't give any specifics, but he can see fairly well with his glasses.

Well, not to sound like a jerk, but if he is 78, and hasn't had cataract surgery, chances are he can't see worth a damn, so it may not matter what you buy him. He will be happier with the larger images, which will enable him to "see better" which is the whole point.

Not trying to be a horses ass, just my experience, and the experiences of my contemporaries. Your grandfather may be different.

The feel good factor is always really important with relatives and close friends.

It's nice to keep a good quality loaner pair for visitors and even better to give a pair and hear "now that's a good pair of binoculars." I know my old dad always looks at what I'm carrying in comparison to what I've given him, even if it's just for the day !

Perhaps your grandfather, Dan, might appreciate another Bushnell bino, as he knows the brand already. Something with a bit of length to the barrels so that he can hold them easily might work well.

Bushnell are well known for their price promos and you may be able to find a deal that suits. There's a $30 mail-in rebate on the Bushnell Trophy XLT binos (until 31st December 2015). These are certainly easy-hold, easy use, no fuss for elderly hands.

Here's the coupon : http://bushnell.com/getmedia/cb1842b4-9f87-4ee2-af3b-958e49de681c/Bushnell-TrophyBucks-MIR-2015.pdf?ext=.pdf

Best wishes,

It may be that at 78, an 8x42 has a larger exit pupil than he can use.
Perhaps a 4mm exit pupil is more suitable.

Although significant cataracts are likely, they are not a certainty.

Well, not to sound like a jerk, but if he is 78, and hasn't had cataract surgery, chances are he can't see worth a damn, so it may not matter what you buy him. He will be happier with the larger images, which will enable him to "see better" which is the whole point.

Not trying to be a horses ass, just my experience, and the experiences of my contemporaries. Your grandfather may be different.

Holy mackerel, wherever did you come up with that? I'm nearing 80 and have 20/20 vision with glasses. And, I don't think there's anything at all unusual about it.

Ed

Holy mackerel, wherever did you come up with that? I'm nearing 80 and have 20/20 vision with glasses. And, I don't think there's anything at all unusual about it.Ed

Different populations, I guess.

Also, it might depend on whet the glasses are correcting.

No problem, I appreciate the insight. The binoculars he uses now are 10x, so a lower power would make it easier for him to at least find the birds I point out. Many times I find a bird and he is able to describe it to me, so I think he can at least benefit from slightly better optics. I'm not saying a >$200 pair, but I believe most bins above $40 would be an upgrade.

The feel good factor is always really important with relatives and close friends.

It's nice to keep a good quality loaner pair for visitors and even better to give a pair and hear "now that's a good pair of binoculars." I know my old dad always looks at what I'm carrying in comparison to what I've given him, even if it's just for the day !

Perhaps your grandfather, Dan, might appreciate another Bushnell bino, as he knows the brand already. Something with a bit of length to the barrels so that he can hold them easily might work well.

Bushnell are well known for their price promos and you may be able to find a deal that suits. There's a $30 mail-in rebate on the Bushnell Trophy XLT binos (until 31st December 2015). These are certainly easy-hold, easy use, no fuss for elderly hands.

Here's the coupon : http://bushnell.com/getmedia/cb1842b4-9f87-4ee2-af3b-958e49de681c/Bushnell-TrophyBucks-MIR-2015.pdf?ext=.pdf

Best wishes,

I'll be sure to look at those as well. Thanks for the advice.

Thanks for the heads up, I'm leaning towards 6x now anyway for the wider FOV.

Last edited:
There are at least two pilots over 100 years old still flying regularly. They may have had cataract surgery, I don't know. They obviously have fine eyesight.
Incidentally, some who had cataract surgery were used to view ultraviolet signalling, which was invisible to most people.
I have considerably better than 20/20 vision with glasses. I have lost maybe 0.5 magnitude on faintest stars, but still easily see star colours also.
A friend recently reported seeing the Merope nebula with a 20x60 Tento Soviet binocular, which has some fungus, from a Lancashire town, and he isn't young. I struggled with this when young.

There is nothing wrong with having excess exit pupil to use. It makes it easier to set ones IPD. Of course in most cases the binocular will be larger.

Bob

Why don't you take him with you to secretely "try" binocs in a store for "a friend". That way you will find out what works for him.

I am glad that you are not my grandchild.

My request would be 8x32s for lower mag for shakes and lighter weight,
roof or porro would make no difference,
something better than my naked eye and old binoculars,
but not too espensive.
I would want them fairly study in case I drop them.

edj

thinking more about it, a 6x21 pentax papillio would be nice for those closeups that I have never seen, or at least not in a long time

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back