• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

HummerToons . . . (1 Viewer)

I love all of the faces (voices) here! Where are you all coming from? I read something about one of the places shutting down.. etc, but I don't know more than that.

crickieheather said:
I love all of the faces (voices) here! Where are you all coming from? I read something about one of the places shutting down.. etc, but I don't know more than that.
Can't speak for everyone here, but some of us just migrated from another forum that was recently purchased by a big conglomerate. Once they took over, they started embedding links to advertisers through hyper links in key words of members post. The hyper links actually made it look like the poster of the message supported that particular advertiser even though they didn’t, and some even contained advertisements for things the poster was totally against. I've been on a lot of sites that have ads pop up that are based on key words contained in a person's post, but this was the first time a hyper-link was actually embedded in a person's post.

A lot of individuals posted their feelings against the hyper links and even e-mailed the owners of the forum, only to be told that was tough and the hyper links were there to stay and would not be going away. So, that brings us to where we are now . . . they kept their embedded hyper links but lost a lot of those that used to contribute to their forum.

Luckily for us, some of the posters from the other site were also members of this one, and the word got out and we have been able to continue our friendships on this forum.

Is it the fact that you have so many feeders (that no single hummer could defend) that you are able to attract so many birds at the same time (recognizing, of course, that they have to be in the area to be attracted...)? Barbara[/QUOTE]

Barbara,

We have only 2 feeders, but more than enough hummers to eat from both at one time. My observation has been that when there are fewer hummers, like at the beginning of the season, there will be one hummer to keep the rest at bay, but as the season progresses and the numbers increase, no one hummer can guard the feeder. They just sort of wait in line for their turn. So, I don't think it is the number of feeders, but the number of hummers that determines the behavior you spoke of.

As for your question of how to attract larger numbers of hummers, perhaps someone else can field that question.

This is a slow year. We probably only have maybe 15-20 hummers, compared to last year's 40+. The fewer number of hummers has been common this year on the east coast, and some attribute it to the number of hurricanes last year.

Lydia :girl:

Frank lives in a fabulous place, and not just because of his hummingbirds. Summers are nice, with an occasional thundershower. Winters get some snow, but not so much as to wear out its welcome. In about 30 minutes he can be in the desert. In about 90 minutes he can be at the beach. He's surrounded mainly by chaparral vegetation, but pines are nearby. To top it off, Frank and his wife are personally just about the nicest people you'll ever meet.

Glad to have you here...

Frank - Glad to have you join us on BF - I loved your pictures- thanks for sharing. I loved them so much I sent your link to my mother-in-law in Texas. She gets many more hummers at her house than we do in Florida but nothing like your Hummingbird Heaven. I look forward to viewing more.

Thanks!

Judybird

FeistyRdHd said:
Is it the fact that you have so many feeders (that no single hummer could defend) that you are able to attract so many birds at the same time (recognizing, of course, that they have to be in the area to be attracted...)? Barbara

Barbara,

We have only 2 feeders, but more than enough hummers to eat from both at one time. My observation has been that when there are fewer hummers, like at the beginning of the season, there will be one hummer to keep the rest at bay, but as the season progresses and the numbers increase, no one hummer can guard the feeder. They just sort of wait in line for their turn. So, I don't think it is the number of feeders, but the number of hummers that determines the behavior you spoke of.

As for your question of how to attract larger numbers of hummers, perhaps someone else can field that question.

This is a slow year. We probably only have maybe 15-20 hummers, compared to last year's 40+. The fewer number of hummers has been common this year on the east coast, and some attribute it to the number of hurricanes last year.

Lydia :girl:[/QUOTE]

Thanks Lydia - I guess we just don't have hordes of hummers here at any time so will just have to enjoy our few spring and fall migrants and then the few residents in between. Barbara

No Additives Necessary . . .

Here's a shot I got this morning . . .

NoAdditives.jpg

Curtis Croulet said:
I think you will find that there's less of the "oh, they're so darling" type of commentary here -- which is all to the good as far as I'm concerned.
This sentence haunted me for the last days - probably I brood too much over it, and it is totally overinterpreted (since I have no clue about what was going on at GW) if I start to doubt if it is wrong to express some enthusiasm about hummingbirds here? Since English is not my native language I do have some problems to express my feelings and thoughts about hummingbirds, so I'd like to apologize if I do not always hit the right form... Please be gentle with newbies who still get totally excited if they encounter even the most common hummingbird...

Oh, and Frankj, this hummingbird really looks like he is nearly about to fall off the feeder filled up to the rim :-O :-O :-O

Last edited:
LOL! There're reasons why the Aztecs name their god of war: Hummingbird Warrior. If hummers were the size of crows we'd be wearing hardhats in the garden!

By the way, I do somewhat share antipathy to cutesiness or responses such as "awww, that's so cute" as the only form of comment on any of the threads. My impression of Birdforum is that it is a forum for seeking and sharing a wide variety of information primarily about wild birds but also other matters.

There certainly seems to be room for jocularity, humor, etc. and Frank's hummertoons fit the bill of posting some pretty fantastic photos of wild hummingbirds at his feeders - those who learn what hummertoons are (and that will happen pretty quickly) can avoid the thread(s) or open them depending on their personal inclination. So - I would suggest that this thread pretty much stick to Frank's hummertoons (as it is so named) and responses to those. Any other, or more discussion/information related hummingbird or other topics, would go into new or different threads. Any other thoughts?

By the way, for those of you who are new to Birdforum there is a forum within Birdforum called Ruffled Feathers that is more free flowing... That is where a variety of jokes, rants, and other off-topic threads are posted. You have to sign up to be able to open Ruffled Feathers threads (I think everyone can see them but only those who have signed up can open them or post them). I forgot how you sign up....just checked - click on Forums in the top bar, go all the way to the bottom of the screen and find the Ruffled Feathers Forum - there's a link called How to Subscribe. Barbara

Last edited:
Barbara, you were faster... Why is there one post now missing? I am a bit confused... well, let's better go back to the hummertoons...

Last edited:
I am here now too!

Hey Frank, Curtis, Tzunun, Sarah and everyone else!

I just signed up over here too! I was wondering where everyone one was drifting off too.

Frank it was great to see your Hummertoon post at the top of the forum. I love the hummertoons, and all your wonderful photos.

I have to tell y'all that Tuesday evening I had 4 hummers sitting on my little clothesline all at the same time about 2 ft. from each other. I was dumbfounded. That is an absolute first for me since moving here to NY. For a few minutes after they flew off it looked like hummer central around here and I thought of you Frank and all of your hordes of hummers.

Penny

Welcome aboard . . .

PennyD said:
Hey Frank, Curtis, Tzunun, Sarah and everyone else!

I just signed up over here too! I was wondering where everyone one was drifting off too.

Frank it was great to see your Hummertoon post at the top of the forum. I love the hummertoons, and all your wonderful photos.

I have to tell y'all that Tuesday evening I had 4 hummers sitting on my little clothesline all at the same time about 2 ft. from each other. I was dumbfounded. That is an absolute first for me since moving here to NY. For a few minutes after they flew off it looked like hummer central around here and I thought of you Frank and all of your hordes of hummers.

Penny
Glad you were able to find us. I checked the other forum yesterday and noticed they'd even removed the thread with bobky's post where he stated it was his last post on the forum and for anyone that was interested in knowing where everyone had gone to send him an e-mail message. GWF really took a dump in quality as soon as iVillage took over and has gone down hill steadily since. I just hope enough people quit using their forum to make them realize embedding links to advertisers in peoples posts just isn't the thing to do.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back