• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

HummerToons . . . (2 Viewers)

Hi Penny,

So glad you found BirdForum! I know what you mean about the hummers. The night Katrina passed through, they were perched on all the feeders that are side by side (very close together on my porch. I had never seen them so close together and not fighting.

Today is another matter -- hummer wars everywhere!

Well gee whiz, I thought I posted over here and said Hi to everyone. I must be having a 'juvenile moment' LOL! Anyway, Frank I think this was the very first post I read when I came over here (I do so luv your hummertoons). I am also thrilled to see so many of our friends here. As with everyone else your toons and photos and comments will be the life of the party!

Penny

What do you think . . .

This'll probably get me in trouble!!!

DoILookFat.jpg

Hi everyone. I'm so happy so have found this forum, I was wondering where everybody went. Thanks Penny for your latest post on GW. thats what got me here.
Vicki

vo11 said:
Hi everyone. I'm so happy so have found this forum, I was wondering where everybody went. Thanks Penny for your latest post on GW. thats what got me here.
Vicki

Hi Vicki,

Glad you made it over :) That message won't last long,as GW will delete it :(

Cheers,Bob in Ky.

Bob, Your right that message won't last long, I'm glad I caught it before it was deleted. I have also had a problem with pages loading over there. It's really a shame because I have been lurking over there for years. I still will but it's not the same.

Hi Vicki . . .

vo11 said:
Vicki
Glad to see you here. The thread you saw on the other forum is still there, which kinda' surprises me. (They usually don't last that long!)

Welcome aboard!

Hello everybody! I like in here... I'm very happy to find you guys... I'm a quiet girl but I like to learn from you ... Do you know how great you are? If I have four feeders and more than 20 hummers is thanks to you. :)
Have a nice day!
Diana

HI Eveyone,

So glad to see all the gang here--it is not the same over there without everyone. I've been experiencing an onslaught of hummers within the last two weeks--I'm getting a slight idea of what Frank goes through-- so many hummers--and at least two Rufous!!
I make a new batch of fresh nectar daily--and while on vacation , I purchased a brand new Wild Birds Unlimited version of the Hummzinger (and two Humbrellas)--the hummers never lost a beat and took to it immediately.

LOVE your new "funnies" Frank!!

Frankj said:
Glad to see you here. The thread you saw on the other forum is still there, which kinda' surprises me. (They usually don't last that long!)

Welcome aboard!

Especially since it contains the name of this forum, which GW considers to be "spam." I was even blocked from sending private messages that contained the name of this forum.

Back on-topic: Frank, within a few days we're going to have a big change in our weather. It'll be much cooler in the inland valleys, and, at your elevation, you'll start to sense that "nip" in the air. I always find it interesting that, even in SoCal, where transitions between seasons are famously gradual, summer weather comes to a definite end, usually during or about the second week of September. The same change also brings an end to the monsoon in AZ. Our White-crowned Sparrows should return in a couple of weeks.

So, my question to you, Frank, is: do you see a distinct drop-off in numbers of birds when the weather changes in September? Are you still seeing Black-chins? They should be just about gone.

Hummertoons

Hey, Frank! We miss you at the other forum, so decided to come over and see what's up! See you have a picture of your Mean Machine! If I can ever figure out how to post an opening message, I will! Otherwise, hello to all who have moved over - right at migration time! I only have three hummers, fighting their lives out, but my mexican sage is blooming, and my pineapple sage has lots of buds, and whoopee! The fun fall is here! Take care of your millions of birds!

Ellery

Black-chinned . . .

Curtis Croulet said:
Especially since it contains the name of this forum, which GW considers to be "spam." I was even blocked from sending private messages that contained the name of this forum.

Back on-topic: Frank, within a few days we're going to have a big change in our weather. It'll be much cooler in the inland valleys, and, at your elevation, you'll start to sense that "nip" in the air. I always find it interesting that, even in SoCal, where transitions between seasons are famously gradual, summer weather comes to a definite end, usually during or about the second week of September. The same change also brings an end to the monsoon in AZ. Our White-crowned Sparrows should return in a couple of weeks.

So, my question to you, Frank, is: do you see a distinct drop-off in numbers of birds when the weather changes in September? Are you still seeing Black-chins? They should be just about gone.
Yes . . . haven't had a lot of time lately to just sit out there and enjoy the birds, but still set the camera up and get pictures in the morning and evening and still see some Black-chinned Hummers in some of the pictures.

We're still getting pretty much slammed with Anna's and are having to fill the EIGHT 96oz feeders every other day. Here's a list of last years sugar usage from this time last year . . .

Aug 23 - Aug 30 (08 days - 50 pounds)
Aug 31 - Sep 09 (10 days - 50 pounds)
Sep 10 - Sep 20 (11 days - 50 pounds)
Sep 21 - Oct 05 (15 days - 50 pounds)

. . . so I would have to assume that the numbers should start dropping off any day now. We've just emptied another 50 pound bag which brings us to 325 pounds for the year, which is still running 100 pounds behind where we were last year. (Here Rufous, Rufous, Rufous!!!!!) ;)

Ellery9 said:
Hey, Frank! We miss you at the other forum, so decided to come over and see what's up! See you have a picture of your Mean Machine! If I can ever figure out how to post an opening message, I will! Otherwise, hello to all who have moved over - right at migration time! I only have three hummers, fighting their lives out, but my mexican sage is blooming, and my pineapple sage has lots of buds, and whoopee! The fun fall is here! Take care of your millions of birds!

Ellery
Glad to see you were able to find us over here. I do check every now and then on the other forum, but will NOT post anything there. If everyone keeps posting on that forum . . . they win and will continue the embedded advertisements, etc., which I'm totally against. I don't mind ads placed on the page that target wording in individuals posts, but draw the line when they make it look like an individual supports an advertiser by embedding hyper links to a pop up ad in individuals posts.

Frankj said:
Glad to see you were able to find us over here. I do check every now and then on the other forum, but will NOT post anything there. If everyone keeps posting on that forum . . . they win and will continue the embedded advertisements, etc., which I'm totally against. I don't mind ads placed on the page that target wording in individuals posts, but draw the line when they make it look like an individual supports an advertiser by embedding hyper links to a pop up ad in individuals posts.

This is pretty much verbatim what I think. I'm checking the other forum less and less.

LC went banding this morning near Perris, CA. Total numbers way down from two weeks ago (52 vs 123 or something like that), but they did get three Rufous.

Curtis Croulet said:
This is pretty much verbatim what I think. I'm checking the other forum less and less.

LC went banding this morning near Perris, CA. Total numbers way down from two weeks ago (52 vs 123 or something like that), but they did get three Rufous.
09/05/2005 . . .

09052005-022.jpg

Yeehaw Frank :D (and a big Texas howdy to everyone!!!)
I was missing your posts on the dark side and when I posted about it my thread was sent to Disneyland and I think they're holding a ticket at the desk for me too! Ha! Ha!

It's so good to see your new hummer toons and to see so many familiar faces. Gosh! I've missed reading everyone's posts. I just joined so I have lots of reading to catch up on and also figuring out how to navigate on here.

Will say a few more hummies have come to my yard...but will never come close to 300 lbs of sugar or your photos.

I've been making lots of little feeders and spreading them around the yard - it keeps the dib fights in check and gives the juveniles room to relax without getting dive-bombed.

hi, cat! so glad you made it.

frank, incredible pictures. keep the toons comin'. currently using 3 cups of sugar every 2 days here.
;-)

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back