• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Flying with Gear (1 Viewer)

Adam69

Im going out to Spain in September flying with Monarch and would like to take my Canon 40D and Canon 400mm. These will fit into my hand luggage no problems, but I want to take my Manfroto Tripod.
Can I take my Tripod on as hand luggage also?
Like to hear from anyone who has travelled with their gear.

Adam

:t:

I've travelled with my gear as hand luggage many times. I keep the tripod strapped to my backpack which holds all my gear including a laptop. The only time I've had an issue was with Ryanair, who complained about the weight of the carry on luggage.

I should perhaps mention that I use a lightweight tripod when travelling, a Velbon Ultra Maxi-L Just like this

HTH

Tim

I've travelled with my gear as hand luggage many times. I keep the tripod strapped to my backpack which holds all my gear including a laptop. The only time I've had an issue was with Ryanair, who complained about the weight of the carry on luggage.

I should perhaps mention that I use a lightweight tripod when travelling, a Velbon Ultra Maxi-L Just like this

HTH

Tim

Thanks Tim

:t:

I always travel with the tripod in the hold - if security decide to ruin your day, they will call the tripod an offensive weapon and confiscate it. I've even had a keychain confiscated as an offensive weapon - I thought better of pointing out that I could also use my hands to slap someone.

I also always travel with tripod in hold luggage, optics in hand luggage. 13 years since I started doing this and so far never had a problem with it.

I find airlines (esp. Ryanair) can be very strict about the dimensions of cabin luggage - and rightly so. (NB - when you buy hand luggage check that the advertised dimensions on the bag/blurb are the external, not internal, measurements; the latter push you over the limit). I've never been asked to weigh my cabin baggage so unless you're obviously puffing and straining you'd probably get away with a slightly heavier bag. I certainly wouldn't risk pushing the limits by strapping a tripod on my bag and hoping that they let me through. I always wear a generously pocketed jacket/travel vest into which I smuggle my 8x32 bins, books etc.,

As with previous posters, after at least two cases of being prevented from taking a tripod as hand luggage (deemed to be a potential weapon despite being lightweight carbon), I now always pack my tripod in hold luggage. [But I'm still amazed that passengers are allowed, even encouraged, to take glass bottles of duty-free on board - surely an infinitely more lethal weapon when broken, and anyway an obvious and unnecessary additional hazard in the event of an accident - but profits obviously take precedence over safety!]

Contra John's experience, my hand luggage has been weighed on several occasions in recent years (eg, Virgin Atlantic - a miserly 6kg limit in economy class) - so as he suggests, it's definitely worth stowing as much as possible in pockets (and bins etc worn around the neck are sometimes excluded from the limit).

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back