• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Skua again, Lake Garda, Verona (1 Viewer)

maudoc

mau the doc
Italy

Attachments

• _MG_2572_cr.jpg
    _MG_2572_cr.jpg
    49.6 KB · Views: 140
  • _MG_2568_cr.jpg
    _MG_2568_cr.jpg
    50.4 KB · Views: 86
  • _MG_2569_cr.jpg
    _MG_2569_cr.jpg
    50.4 KB · Views: 73
  • _MG_2579_cr.jpg
    _MG_2579_cr.jpg
    52.8 KB · Views: 68
  • _MG_2580_cr.jpg
    _MG_2580_cr.jpg
    52.6 KB · Views: 56
Maurizio,

It's the clear white belly area, and the white on the 2 outermost primaries in pic 1 , that make me think juvenile LTSkua, rather than Arctic.

Though, of course, I may be wrong...;)

Maurizio,

It's the clear white belly area, and the white on the 2 outermost primaries in pic 1 , that make me think juvenile LTSkua, rather than Arctic.

Though, of course, I may be wrong...;)

I'm with you Phil, for this I have remember the skuas of one month ago, arctic was the ID of observers...
But I'm not an expert... My doubts was because I see so much white in the primaries (for me)

Skuas (esp. juv and subad) are more difficult than that. It's IMHO not possible to ID the bird with certain from this pics.

I agree its not safely ID able, but its structurally more like Arctic and I can't see any barring on the upper or under tail coverts....(except perhaps the last one) and if that gingeryness that I can see on the nape in some of the photos was there in life, then that would strongly suggest Arctic. The best pro LTS feature I can see is the contrastingly dark trailing edge

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back