• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Hello (1 Viewer)

Molly Eaglen

Morning all
I am very new to this birding lark!
However, we were doing the garden a couple of months ago, my husband was digging and saving/feeding the worms to a very busy blackbird. The female has now made a nest in the holly tree next to the conservatory. I can see her from where I sit is this normal ?

Hi Molly and a warm welcome to you from all the Staff and Moderators.

Blackbirds often do make their nests in thick hedges, though its rather unusual to be able to see them without moving the leaves apart (please don't). If the nest isn't disturbed/predated they may re-use the nest a few more times this summer.

You can read more about Blackbirds HERE in our Opus article.

I hope you enjoy your time here with us - and please let us know how they get on.

Tragedy

Hi all thought I would update you on my blackbird nesting, I came home from work today and found eggs scattered over the lawn. Looks as though they have been eaten which is so sad. However, there are Magpies nesting nearby could it have been them ??
The female blackbird keeps returning to the nest which appears intact surely she will not lay again here ??
All advise really welcome and thank you in advance

Hi Molly - oh that is such a shame. I don't know if it was the Magpies, but they certainly do take eggs.

I think your female is just hoping the eggs will miraculously re-appear in the nest and it may take her some hours to realise they've really gone. Whether she tries to re-use that nest may depend on her age and experience.

It will be interesting to know what happens.

Welcome to BirdForum! I am sure you will find lots to interest you here, and I hope you enjoy your visits.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back