• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

shutter release (1 Viewer)

dale bentham

got a cannon 50d and a 100 - 400 lense been using a wireless remote shutter release today with my tripod . wanted to get some clear photos with a slow shutter speed dew to the light conditions .was told by a few people in the hide I was in today that I should be covering up the eye piece because it lets light in and can spoil my photos . never herd anything like that before can anybody enlighten me on it please . many thanks dale

Did they have a bottle of white lightning in their hand.

The mirror covers the sensor , and is at an angle of 45 degrees so that you can look through the lens , now when you take a photo and press the shutter , the mirror flips up and blocks the view finder , hence the little black flash , this means that the only light hitting the sensor is the light coming through the lens.

The wireless remote plays no part in the mirrors function , just replaces the shutter button.

Sounds bonkers. However, I have found this in a review of the Olympus E-3 by a very respected reviewer:
'The eyepiece shutter, built into the finder and activated with a small lever just below and to the left of the eyepiece allows you to block the harmful light which otherwise may enter the viewing/metering system the "wrong way" when you shoot without your eye at the finder.'

My E-30 comes with a small plastic insert which serves the same purpose, rather more crudely. I think it is really intended for very long bulb exposures.

Ron

Well Canon gives this in my 40D manual.

"Using the eyepiece cover.
If you take a picture without looking at the viewfinder, light entering the eyepiece can throw off the exposure. To prevent this, use the eyepiece cover attached to the camera strap." (Assuming you have the eyepiece cover on your strap).

thanks for all your replies going to carry on using the remote has I cannot see any change at all in my photos plus most of the time I have been looking through the eye piece while keeping my hands off the camera so not to knock it and keep my photos sharp

It is recommended that you cover the viewfinder when operating the camera on remote. Both my old A1 and now my 1D2 have a shutter on the viewfinder to prevent stray light entering the camera when your eye is not against the viewfinder. I normally close the shutter when I operate the camera on remote but to be honest when I've forgotten to close it the photos have still been fine so it's not that important.
I think the 50D etc have a small rubber cover which attaches to the camera strap and is used to cover the eyepiece when needed.

Peter

This thread prompted me to take a look in my camera box last night to check if the eyepiece cover was still there. I discovered it, still sealed in a plastic bag with some cables, but didn't remove it as it looked a bit easy to lose. Today I discovered an article about it and apparently it can be attached to the strap like the Canon version. Not only that, but it also can store the flash hot shoe cover when it is removed to fit the flash, which is handy. I will take another look at it tonight, not that I will ever use it. It's surprising what this thread has turned up.

Ron

The Canon ones are supplied attached to the camera strap - to be quite honest I could never see why it was needed but you learn something everyday. I will try it next time I use a remote (or timer I suppose).

Never needed to use the cover unless taking long exposures at night thenany light entering the viewfinder can spoil pictures .

i took the eye piece cover off my camera strap when i first got it about 4 months ago couldnt work out what it was used for just new it covered the eye piece . now i know many thanks to you all

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back