• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Mallorca 2017 (6 Viewers)

Hello StewB,
I'm afraid this kind of birds only stay one or two days at La Gola, in fact, I haven't seen it this morning:-C
But...Another birds are on the move. In an-hour-walk along the parc I have seen the locals and some migrants:
-Grey heron (1)
-Green sandpiper (4 + 1 later)
-Yellow-legged gull (1)
-Collared Dove
-Wood Pigeon
-Mallards
-Moorhens
-Common Coot (2)
-Pied Flycatcher (3 min)
-Tyrrhenic/Balearic Spotted flycatcher
-Blackcap
-Sardinian Warbler
-Whitethroat (1)
-Zitting Cisticola
-Firecrest
-Stonechat
-Robin
-Blackbird
-Greenfinch
-Goldfinch
-Crossbill
-House Sparrow
Also a flock of 21 Raven together with a Booted eagle flying to the South.

So, keep going at la Gola!
In the other hand, a good site to see Black-necked grebe is the Bassa de Can Guidet, not far from Palma.
Regards,
Cristina.

Thanks Cristina!

A very happy morning at the Cap with one Montagu's Harrier being the star bird. Two Bonelli's eagles together (one adult male and an immature female), a group of about 30 Bee-eaters, a migrant Kestrel and two Marsh Harrier plus local Red Kite, Eleanora's falcon, Peregrine, Booted Eagle and Common Buzzard. Also Grey Heron on the move, three Wheatear, twenty Turtle doves, Spotted flycatchers and a Pied flycatcher. Mike

25 Honey Buzzard through the Cap this morning, a glorious sight. Also a few migrant Marsh Harrier and Kestrel, a possible Hobby, local Common Buzzard, Marsh Harrier, Red Kite and Booted eagles. Mike

Some pictures of the migration, this weekend at Cap Salines (The Big Sur).
One of the flocks of Honey buzzards, a group of 4 grey heron and the montagus harrier.

Attachments

• 3Pernis.jpg
    3Pernis.jpg
    461.4 KB · Views: 113
  • 4AgronsBlaus.jpg
    4AgronsBlaus.jpg
    683.2 KB · Views: 78
  • 6 pernis.jpg
    6 pernis.jpg
    627.7 KB · Views: 77
  • Pygargus.jpg
    Pygargus.jpg
    561.3 KB · Views: 90
Bit quite up north of the island,
Salbufera, L Bittern G W Egret, Flamingoes 16, Spotted Reds 32, Greenshank 9, Marble Ducks 6, Nightingales 5, Avocets 30.
Sillots Muro.
Little Stints 5,
Depuadora
Wood Sands 5, Green Sands 12, Common Sands 9, Hoopoe's 16, all in the corner of one field.
Son Real
Turtle Dove.
Steve.

I spent a very happy hour sitting in a friend's garden watching twenty Bee-eaters flying around so close I could almost touch them. What fabulous birds they are, swooping and diving all around the low vegetation then resting in the trees to consume their prey.
Bee-eaters often linger in the valleys for a few days before departing south. Lots of flocks are around at the moment. Mike

A morning at the Cap with little to report other than 3 Red Kites, 2 Booted Eagles, a Marsh Harrier, all locals it seems from behaviour, then two separate flocks of Bee-eaters, lots of Kestrels (20+)...It seems the Honey Buzzards are only available for weekend entertainment. Granted, the winds were very lights and Southwesterlies to Westerlies over the Gulf de Lyon, so probably not the best timing.
I went to Villafranca on the way home and there too were over 20 Kestrels. I assume the numbers are inflated by migrants as the birds seem to disappear quite quickly as they move on. I unfortunately could not find any hidden gems in the fields there, aka Dotterels as per Mike's previous post.

Thanks for posting Patrick, I was at the other end of the road to the Cap this morning and there was very little doing, just one young Honey Buzzard through and one flock of Bee-eaters. A few local birds too but as you say, the winds were not favourable. Sorry about the Dotterel too, they all seem to be on Menorca at the moment. I believe some storms are on the way which should liven things up a bit. Mike

Crikey it's hot! Arrived at Puerto Pollenca late morning and waited until mid afternoon before venturing out. At the Albufereta the hybrid western reef heron was in what's left of the water in the torente mouth, two purple herons were on the pools from the tower, but other than a hoopoe in the pines there was little else of interest.

At Ca'n Cuarassa there were a dozen or so cattle egrets - several riding around on the backs of sheep! A juvenile woodchat was in the trackside bushes, and an Eleanor's' came batting over the marsh, heading north.

There were 14 shags and 6+ Audoin's gulls with the gull flock on the offshore "reefs" off the beach at Puerto Pollenca.

Will post a couple of photos separately.

Great to be back!

Stew

A couple of photos from this afternoon.

Stew

Attachments

• IMG_7006.jpg
    IMG_7006.jpg
    267.7 KB · Views: 78
  • IMG_7030.jpg
    IMG_7030.jpg
    126.7 KB · Views: 77
Hi Stew and welcome back to Mallorca. It has cooled down quite a lot recently, you should have been here a couple of weeks ago, it's been a scorching summer. Storms coming Thursday as far as I can see which should bode well for Friday! Mike

Thanks Mike,
How do you mean the other end of the road, you mean by Ses Salines village? I was about 500m up from the lighthouse and could not have seen anything going over much beyond Es Caragol beach or further west.
The winds are going back to the Northwest by Thursday so I will have another go.

I was in a house at the very end of the road where it meets the main road to Ses Salines. The views are good but the Cap is better. It was a social visit but I spent the whole time watching the sky. I don't think I will ever get invited again. The winds look good for the end of the week, lots of birders will be there at the weekend, especially Sunday. Good luck. Mike

Thanks Mike, I thought I was missing out on a better spot. Unfortunately I am not controlling my weekends very well, I need to work on the missus for that. :)

At can cuarassa this morning 8 purple Heron's, probably double figures.
Sillots Muro, temminck stint, little stint, curlew sand plus the regulars.
Depuadora 17 green 9 wood and 4 common Sands.
Steve.

Philip is on the Island at the moment and he reports 6 Red-rumped swallows in Calviá. As he saw double figures of this species all last summer, I suspect they may be breeding somewhere nearby.
He also counted 36 Marbled duck at Albufera, I don't remember ever hearing of such a large number together before. Mike

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back