• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Norfolk birding (33 Viewers)

A handful of wheatears were the highlight

I had a Wheatear, Penny, but didn’t have to walk eight or so miles there and back (even more to Far Point, Connor): about two hundred metres to the east of the Beach Car Park at Salthouse.

Not, in my present state, that I could have even managed Halfway House- one way !

Titchwell May 25th

Today’s highlights

Temmincks stint – 2 on fresh marsh
Little stint – 1 on fresh marsh
Little gull – 2 on fresh marsh
Common sandpiper – 2 on fresh marsh
Little ringed plover – 2 on fresh marsh
Red crested pochard – pair on fresh marsh
Spoonbill – 2 on reserve
Spotted flycatcher – 2 on Meadow Trail

Paul

An interesting, slimline, ringtail harrier sp (female?) drifted W at the back of Walsey Hills, late this a’noon.

Another local birder saw it with me from the car park, but it was the other side of the field behind Walsey and in quite a shimmer.

I alerted someone who lives in the direction of its flight.

Birding Boudica'a Way Part Three. Stratton St Michael - Shotesham.

This was supposed to be the shortest section of the walk today at just over five miles but things didn't go to plan so it probably ended up being the longest. However it will leave me with a nice easy stretch for part four.
It was a bit nippy first thing although I started at 7.30 today but once a break in the clouds let some sun through it soon warmed up nicely.

Walking north from Stratton St Michael church produced more Skylarks, Yellowhammers, three pairs of Linnets and two singing Song Thrushes. An Oystercatcher probing for worms in a ploughed field would have been one of a pair that nest in the area each year and the regular pair of Buzzards were up early over the small river valley east of Tasburgh with the Carrion Crows pestering them as usual. At one point one of the Buzzards had clearly had enough and went after the crow, chasing it for quite some distance before holding back. A small group of Canada and Greylag Geese fed here too.

Lots of common birds frequented Tasburgh village and Goldfinches were particularly prolific today with more singing males and pairs flying around than anywhere else on this walk so far. Tasburgh Earthworks had plenty of corvids grubbing around in the soft earth as well as two Green Woodpeckers.

Walking towards Saxlingham Thorpe and a singing Reed Bunting was present at one of the few patches of reedbed along this section of the Tas Valley but unfortunately there was no sight or sound of any Sedge or Reed Warblers despite listening carefully. A pair of Egyptian Geese were in a large horse paddock and one or two pairs of these now breed annually in the area.
A second pair of Buzzards were up over Foxhole Common, a Willow Warbler sang and a Bullfinch called. Orange Tip and Speckled Wood also added to the interest here.

Todays walk was supposed to end at Saxlingham Green but the taxi firm who I called to take me back to my car at the starting point could not send a car to me for at least a couple of hours so I decided to utilise that time and carry on towards Shotesham. Not really what I wanted to do because Saxlingham Green is rich in bird life and I would have liked to have started there the next morning but two hours was too long to sit around waiting. There was still plenty to listen to as I walked through here though, the main bird being the only Lesser Whitethroat of the day.

A buck Roe Deer was spotted sitting down in a grassy meadow near Shotesham - well it was until it saw me, and Sparrowhawk young were heard calling which was the last notable record to go in my notebook before I reached the village and the end point of the walk.
Chaffinches rocketed to yet another high with 62 singing males and Goldfinches surged today with 22 singing males or pairs but unfortunately everything else dropped in numbers today despite the better weather and good habitat.

New species - Greylag Goose, Canada Goose, Egyptian Goose, Sparrowhawk, Oystercatcher, Reed Bunting.

Other new wildlife - Grey Squirrel.

Last edited:
Hi all, I have just had an unconfirmed report of a Black Kite from Rockland about an hour ago. I have just been to have a look but no sign unfortunately. The observer was pretty sure it was a kite and it looked dark but I got no further description. Fingers crossed it'll reappear tomorrow.

Report of Rosefinch singing at Weybourne weather station. I have not got time till later to check it out, but, in the past the sound made by the cloud radar system has been claimed as Rosefinch!

That weather station does an uncanny impression of a Rosefinch. I had two the "wrong side" of the wash yesterday, so I imagine there are a few about though.

Happy birding!

Lakenheaths run continues. The Savi's was very showy yesterday pm after moving 100 yards from the original area. It was indeed a Savi's, although a number of birders rubbished the record from earlier as a gropper. Rather busy with people though, with large percentage carrying large white lenses. Oh how times change! Well worth a visit and its nearly in Norfolk;) Stone Curlews showing really well at Weeting too.

over the border

I also like Mark went over the boarder yesterday ( my first visit)
RFF put on quite a show, closely followed by a bittern doing a low flyby . A cettis warbler was also in fine voice.

A little further down a male marsh harrier was passing food to his mate in mid air and 2 hobbys were also on the wing .

Alas the golden oriole was a no shower but most of these were firsts for me and
With a spattering of sedge warblers, reed buntings and GS woodpeckers .we had a very enjoyable day.

Last edited:
“I just wanna be slightly sPacific,
‘Bout a Swift that in Denmark’s terrific.
There are multiple pix
(And its forked tail just kicks)-
But that’s not to say they’re now prolific.”

I rather imagine that another one here would still occasion a somewhat more populated twitch than this: http://www.netfugl.dk/pictures.php?id=showpicture&picture_id=54876

Can we have one, please ? On second thoughts, White-rumped would do !

Perhaps it’s my ears, but the only thing I’ve heard at Weybourne resembling Rosefinch song has been a Rosefinch singing.

The lovely Wood Sandpiper continues to splash quite close to the East Bank at Cley.

A Wall fluttered past; but I was able to nab one at Walsey Hills (thanks, Pete).

I was at Salthouse Beach car park, while the Bee-eater was being watched. By the time the pager had transmitted the message, I’d got to Sheringham. Woe, woe and . . .

Attachments

• 080pse.jpg
    080pse.jpg
    329.6 KB · Views: 112
  • 129pse2.jpg
    129pse2.jpg
    365.4 KB · Views: 71
Last edited:
I was at Salthouse Beach car park, while the Bee-eater was being watched. By the time the pager had transmitted the message , I’d got to Sheringham. Woe, woe and . . .

We drove through salthouse along the coast road while the Bee-eater was being watched!! I hear it was over the village greeen with hirrundines! We drove underneath it! doh

Last edited:
“I just wanna be slightly sPacific,
‘Bout a Swift that in Denmark’s terrific.
There are multiple pix
(And its forked tail just kicks)-
But that’s not to say they’re now prolific.”

I rather imagine that another one here would still occasion a somewhat more populated twitch than this: http://www.netfugl.dk/pictures.php?id=showpicture&picture_id=54876

Can we have one, please ? On second thoughts, White-rumped would do !

Perhaps it’s my ears, but the only thing I’ve heard at Weybourne resembling Rosefinch song has been a Rosefinch singing.

The lovely Wood Sandpiper continues to splash quite close to the East Bank at Cley.

A Wall fluttered past; but I was able to nab one at Walsey Hills (thanks, Pete).

I was at Salthouse Beach car park, while the Bee-eater was being watched. By the time the pager had transmitted the message, I’d got to Sheringham. Woe, woe and . . .

John. You do not ring the pager services. You have no grounds for complaint.

Last edited:
John. You do not ring the pager services. You have no grounds for complaint.

John shares his sightings, here, almost daily. Other than the odd twitch, you share nothing of any relevance. Nobody is obliged to share anything, but if you're going to use the forum best offer something productive.

No sign of reported Black Kite at Rockland today- cheers for the message Ben. Cuckoo, Buzzard and Sparrowhawk the best at Wheatfen. More productive than the north coast yesterday mind. However, some great birds seen today.

Cheers,
Jim.

Moaning about the pager not putting out a five minute flyover from a location which has poor mobile signal is not being constructive either. The finder got news out within minutes, not hours or even days;). He did not ring his mates first or wait until was dark to release news. Getting news out in fifteen minutes is pretty good going. Shame it does not happen more often;) Shame it did not stay long enough for others to connect. Jim you are spot on nobody has to share there birds with anyone. This person did and the Pager services put out news promptly. No problem.

Last edited:
John shares his sightings [...] you share nothing of any relevance.

Personally speaking I am very grateful, and I'm sure other Norfolk birders are also very grateful, to have had the opportunity to see many of the good birds John has found in recent years (Blyth's Reed Warbler, Great-spotted Cuckoo, Common Rosefinch and so on). Don't know what this rubbish about him not putting news out is about really! His 'complaint' was hardly bemoaning the finder, just the situation - for me, as for most I'm sure, it barely registered. If only everyone contributed to Norfolk birding in the way John did it would be a much better place, rather than the stirring and sniping that characterises some of those who should know much better by now...

Always good to be lectured by a candidate for young labour student of the year;) Reminds me of the monopoly question card "you have woń second prize in a beauty contest"! Nobody tells you if only two have entered! Not the first time the individual has commented on the "speed" of the information services om getting news out. I too would have been hacked off had I driven past a Beeater.

Last edited:
By the time the pager had transmitted the message, I’d got to Sheringham. Woe, woe and . . .

I wasn’t aware that I’d complained; and certainly not about the finders of the bird- one of whom I know, and to be formidably amenable. There is a slight resemblance between a complaint and a lament; my sorrowful intention was one of the latter.

We drove through salthouse along the coast road while the Bee-eater was being watched!! I hear it was over the village greeen with hirrundines! We drove underneath it! doh

Stuart’s post was, as I interpret it, similar. If I was to essay censure, you’d know about it !

Full disclosure: that’s the ticket.

Below are Spotted Flycatcher and Tree Pipit- both taken at a Norfolk Wildlife Trust reserve in Norfolk, prior to June 2013.

Attachments

• 034pse.jpg
    034pse.jpg
    295.5 KB · Views: 130
  • 056pse.jpg
    056pse.jpg
    358.1 KB · Views: 145
Thanks for the clarification John. Your response read like a Eton entrance exam question;) Shirley us with Poly degrees need to go back to school;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back