• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Norfolk birding (87 Viewers)

A couple of pictures of a Grey Wagtail taken at Glandford Ford on 11th May. More pictures HERE.

Penny:girl:

Attachments

• IMG_7008 crop.jpg
    IMG_7008 crop.jpg
    244.3 KB · Views: 71
  • IMG_7063 crop.jpg
    IMG_7063 crop.jpg
    374.6 KB · Views: 76
Ahh a newby, not wise to birding politics:). Refreshing I guess. Ill restate tho that I have neither the time nor energy to elaborate:)

Not quite a newbie, with over 30 years of birding under my belt I think I fall outside of that category :smoke:

Maybe not wise to birding politics though :t: Thanks for the info.

As a non Norfolk person, you have my commiserations which regard to the "BORDER DISPUTES" that you have become involved in, I fish quite regularly at Goreleston (Norfolk).
;)

I remember well once seeing a lovely Booted Warbler at Gorleston (Suffolk) :t:

By reports there was a big cheer from half the crowd when the Corton Pine Bunting flew north over the MoD approach track, while the other half remained knowingly unplussed....;)

Titchwell May 21st

Today’s highlights

Little ringed plover – 1 on Patsy’s reedbed
Red crested pochard – drake on grazing meadow pool
Little stint – 1 on fresh marsh mid afternoon
Common sandpiper – 1 on fresh marsh
Kittiwake – 1st summer on fresh marsh this afternoon
Spoonbill – 1 on saltmarsh
Spotted flycatcher – 1 near visitor centre

Paul

Montagu's Harrier reported again west of hide at Buckenham RSPB at 5.22pm. I keep missing this bird! I started at Langley after work, and was at the Beauchamp Arms by 6.15 viewing across to Buckenham hoping for a south Yare patch tick. Not to be- although it has been seen on 'my' side of the river.
A new patch tick on Sunday, 2 Grey Partridge in field off Surlingham Lane. Other than that, a little quiet and not particularly warm thanks to the northerly blast today. Next week at least forecast to be warmer, but still with those North-Westerlies.

Cheers,
Jim.

I don't see any problem with talking about lakenheath on here, the wash is in Norfolk and the rest of the reserve is within 100m of the county boundary ! It's not like we're discussing languard which really is in suffolk.

Stuart, if you go back in history far enough Landguard was in Essex!!

Joihn

I remember well once seeing a lovely Booted Warbler at Gorleston (Suffolk) :t:

By reports there was a big cheer from half the crowd when the Corton Pine Bunting flew north over the MoD approach track, while the other half remained knowingly unplussed....;)

Funnily enough I didn't keep a Suffolk list in them days but went to see it knowing how close to the Norfolk border it was and hoped it would do the right thing, which it did. Now I'm happy I saw it in both

Wood Warbler showing well this afternoon :t:

Full update on blog.

Penny:girl:

Attachments

• IMG_8918 crop.jpg
    IMG_8918 crop.jpg
    353.7 KB · Views: 93
Last edited:
Friday's weather could bring in something rare, couldn't it?
I have a day off so have been looking at the charts, trying to gee myself up for my near annual spring walk to Blakeney Point.
Looks like we have SE to NE with rain in the morning, but only 9 degrees max- in May- what's going on!! Fingers crossed it will stay that way or get better!

Last edited:
Friday's weather could bring in something rare, couldn't it?
I have a day off so have been looking at the charts, trying to gee myself up for my near annual spring walk to Blakeney Point.
Looks like we have SE to NE with rain in the morning, but only 9 degrees max- in May- what's going on!! Fingers crossed it will stay that way or get better!

As long as the weather conditions stay true to the forecast, you won't be the only on labouring the shingle, so may see you up there, Ben. I just hope it doesn't switch last minute again, we don't have much of May left.

Kieran

Looks like there could be 2 1st Summer Monty's along the Yare then- mid-day at Buckenham and 1pm at Breydon- unlikely to be same bird after all!

Fingers crossed Kieran, about time I had a decent days birding at the coast.... Still need Icky!

Birding Boudica's Way Part One. Diss Railway Station - Tivetshall St Mary.

This is the first of a five part personal venture which I am undertaking this spring to bird the whole of Boudica's Way between Diss and Norwich. Weather providing, I hope to complete the whole walk within the next seven days. I should say that this is not a quest to find some kind of rarity on my travels - it is just something local that I've wanted to achieve over the last couple of years and I will be happy if I get species like Grey Wagtail, Garden Warbler, Turtle Dove and Hobby. I would like to share it with all you nice people on here and I hope you enjoy reading it as much as I will enjoy writing.

Arriving at Diss railway station at 8.00am in full birding attire and with scope - among all the commuters I was definately the odd one out. A quick visit to the toilet, a little bit of psyching up and it was out of the loo full guns blazing. First species down were Starling with several adults feeding their newly-fledged young. House Sparrows chirrped merrily and Dunnock and Robin sang.
The first part of the walk took me through the streets of Diss and I was having to compete for space on the pavement with parents taking their kids to school, dog walkers and joggers - all this while trying to add each new species. Cars were zooming past every few seconds. It was very noisy and it was with some relief that I left the main road and entered the first field.
Here I was greeted by a singing Yellowhammer - the first of ten noted and the 'chip chip chip' of a Marsh Tit reverberated from the first area of alder carr. Four Jays flew across in front of here and Blackcap and Whitethroat were heard. A Stock Dove called at Frenze Hall.
Slightly on from here and the first of five Lesser Whitethroats was noted and I passed the only area this morning where Skylarks were prominent with four displaying males.
I was pleased to get one each of Black-headed and Common Gull over among the regular Lesser Black-backed and one Herring. The first two are much harder to get locally at this time of year so were welcome ticks.
As expected, the first Buzzard appeared and around six frequent the area, Shimpling being the central point for these, I also had my first Small Copper of the year here too.
I unexpectedly came across three pairs of Lapwings along the way so hopefully they will all have a successful breeding season.
Mistle Thrush, Green Woodpecker and Moorhen were noted singly and there were three Kestrels. Counts of singing males included in descending order Chaffinch (44) Blackbird (32) Robin (23) Wren (18) Great Tit (16) Greenfinch (16) and Blackcap (15).
The last mile was a hard slog and the quietest time of the birding day always goes hand in hand with tired legs but a few butterflies emerged to entertain me so Orange Tip, Green-veined and Large White also went on the butterfly list. Then I arrived at my final destination today at the Tivetshall Old Ram for a much needed meal and pint. All in all it was a nice day to start my venture and with many obvious species not yet noted, I will have plenty to add on subsequent days to come.

Species so far - Mallard, Red-legged Partridge, Pheasant, Buzzard, Kestrel, Moorhen, Lapwing, Black-headed Gull, Common Gull, Lesser Black-backed Gull, Herring Gull, Feral Pigeon, Stock Dove, Woodpigeon, Collared Dove, Swift, Green Woodpecker, Skylark, Swallow, House Martin, Pied Wagtail, Wren, Dunnock, Robin, Blackbird, Song Thrush, Mistle Thrush, Lesser Whitethroat, Whitethroat, Blackcap, Chiffchaff, Long-tailed Tit, Marsh Tit, Blue Tit, Great Tit, Jay, Magpie, Jackdaw, Rook, Carrion Crow, Starling, House Sparrow, Chaffinch, Greenfinch, Goldfinch, Linnet, Yellowhammer.

Other wildlife - Rabbit, Brown Hare, Small Copper, Large White, Green-veined White, Orange Tip.

Last edited:
Excellent stuff! I have only done the Norwich-Caistor St Edmund section, so I look forward to hearing about the rest of the route.

This is the first of a five part personal venture which I am undertaking this spring to bird the whole of Boudica's Way between Diss and Norwich. Weather providing, I hope to complete the whole walk within the next seven days. I should say that this is not a quest to find some kind of rarity on my travels - it is just something local that I've wanted to achieve over the last couple of years and I will be happy if I get species like Grey Wagtail, Garden Warbler, Turtle Dove and Hobby. I would like to share it with all you nice people on here and I hope you enjoy reading it as much as I will enjoy writing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back