• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Nikon 1 V1 and SKywatcher 80ED (1 Viewer)

Marcobf

Can someone give some guidance using the SW80ED as a prime on the V1 (Paul, I mistakenly asked you about attaching a compact - it's the V1 I have)

I do have some bits and pieces for attaching a Nikon D5000 to the SW scope if that helps (bought, but not used - long story)

Cheers

Marco

Last edited:
All you need for the D5000 is about 80mm of extension and a T2 Nikon adapter. Don't know if there is a T2 V1 adapter made yet. Be interested to see how it works.

For the V1 it would just be a T-ring in the V1 mount and into that screw a 2" diameter telescope adapter. Use something like an 2" diameter, 80mm long extension tube in the back of the focuser to allow you to reach focus.

Paul.

Like this?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/T-2-Adapt...ns_caps_hoods_adaptors_ET&hash=item53f032a6da

Also when I eventually get an FT1 that would work for this purpose?

Yep, that's the one. Into that you would screw in something like this although they are out of stock here. You might be able to find one elsewhere cheaper. http://www.scopesnskies.com/prod/astro-engineering/astro-camera-adaptor/2inch to T/camera.html

Does the FT1 adapter have any optics inside it or is it clear all the way through?

Paul.

I used the V1 with a Celestron C80ED (essentially the same as the Skywatcher 80ED). On the scope end I used about an 80mm extension tube, then a 2" adapter with a Nikon T-ring, that was attached to the Nikon FT1, and finally the FT1 to the V1 camera. They also sell much less expensive "dumb" adapters you can use instead of the FT1, but you will not have magnified manual focus assist or any exposure metering without the FT1. I could live without the metering data, but that magnified manual focus assist is pretty useful. I posted a shot earlier that was taken with this combo (taken using a dumb adapter instead of the FT1). Works very well.

Rick

I have Max DSLR 2 inch camera adaptor for Nikon - would that fit my needs here? (Please say how/where)

Paul, the FT1 doesn't have any glass

Thanks

Last edited:
I presume the Max DSLR in Nikon mount would fit direct to the FT1. Then all you need is the extension tube in the back of the telescopes focuser and you are good to go. Do you have an extension tube already?

Paul.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back