• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

8x32 HT in the future? (1 Viewer)

It looks like that means probably. First comes the 42mm Victory HT models, and the lesser,
smaller models will follow. That is a common theme, among most all brands, models, etc.

Jerry

Jerry .... You and I are thinking along the same lines. I took the response as a qualified. "yes".

I do not know how Zeiss could not have plans for a new 8X32 HT considering Swaro has the 8X32 SV and Nikon has the 8X32 EDG-II. It would make them look like a smaller player in the Alpha game.

As surely as night follows day (except above the Arctic Circle and below the Antarctic Circle), an 8x32 HT and probably a 10x32 HT will follow their full sized counterparts. And when they arrive, they will be all the "buzz" on BF, you can be sure of that!

Given what Mike said about the problems with the roll out of the full sized HTs, and how competitive the market for premium glass has become, I can understand why he would want to keep the timeline for those models close to his vest. He doesn't want the "days late" clock to start ticking again and neither do would-be buyers.

Brock

Jerry .... You and I are thinking along the same lines. I took the response as a qualified. "yes".

I do not know how Zeiss could not have plans for a new 8X32 HT considering Swaro has the 8X32 SV and Nikon has the 8X32 EDG-II. It would make them look like a smaller player in the Alpha game.

New Schott HT glass (perhaps BK7-HT?) is used for the Abbe-Koenig prisms of the 42mm HT-models. The Schmidt-Pechan prisms of the 32mm Victories require BaK4, however, and the new BaK4-HT would deliver hardly any transmission advantage in the visible spectrum (just the blue/violet end is somewhat higher). Would that imply that a new 8x32 "HT" would then come with Abbe-Koenig prisms?

Cheers,
Holger

New Schott HT glass (perhaps BK7-HT?) is used for the Abbe-Koenig prisms of the 42mm HT-models. The Schmidt-Pechan prisms of the 32mm Victories require BaK4, however, and the new BaK4-HT would deliver hardly any transmission advantage in the visible spectrum (just the blue/violet end is somewhat higher). Would that imply that a new 8x32 "HT" would then come with Abbe-Koenig prisms?

Cheers,
Holger

Holger

Doubt if AK prisms will allow a competitively compact 32mm. I am sure there will be a new Victory 32mm, but I bet it will not be called Victory HT but Victory Something Else.

Cue for Chosen Juan to come striding in cracking her whip and stamping her feet :king:

Lee

I am still hoping for a surprise move here, something like going back to 8x30 or even 8x28, optimising further the compactness of the 32 FL. Wide-angle would also be nice.

An 8X32 HT will have a tough time competing with the 8X32 Swarovision, the best 8X32 available.

PS
Those HT's are awfully expensive. Who's buying them?

An 8X32 HT will have a tough time competing with the 8X32 Swarovision, the best 8X32 available.

PS
Those HT's are awfully expensive. Who's buying them?

I agree Pileatus. But the next alpha 32 from Zeiss isn't available yet is it??

And who is buying HTs?

People with great taste and judgement obviously :t:

LOL

Lee

Even the current 32 Fls and Ultravids are still a good competition to the Swarovision. Perhaps optics slightly inferior (but certainly still phantastic), but being much compacter (the SV 32 has the bulk of an Ultravid 42) and of course less outrageous price, makes them still a very good option for those who value compactness.

Even the current 32 Fls and Ultravids are still a good competition to the Swarovision. Perhaps optics slightly inferior (but certainly still phantastic), but being much compacter (the SV 32 has the bulk of an Ultravid 42) and of course less outrageous price, makes them still a very good option for those who value compactness.
The 8X32 Swarovision is much better than either model mentioned and, as such, commands the 32mm market. I owned an Ultravid 7X42 and there's no meaningful size/weight comparison to the 8X32 Swarovision.

Oh, and the 8X32 SV is worth every penny. The quality and support is so good they could probably get another 10%!

Hmmm ..... seems to me that if they were that good - you'd never need the service and support!

Sounds like they are charging more than 10% too much ....

Stuffed if I'm going to fork out just so that someone can live the high life in a crystal palace !! :storm:

Chosun :gh:

I agree Pileatus. But the next alpha 32 from Zeiss isn't available yet is it??

And who is buying HTs?

People with great taste and judgement obviously :t:

LOL

Lee

Lee, always the diplomat, far more measured than my response would be. It would be a shame, though, to have to point out how much better the HT 42's are than the Swarovision 42's, wouldn't it?;)

Lee, always the diplomat, far more measured than my response would be. It would be a shame, though, to have to point out how much better the HT 42's are than the Swarovision 42's, wouldn't it?;)
The HT's are very, very nice but the Swarovision has that much sought after edge-to-edge clarity. Top birding bin goes to Swarovision; HT for those who sally forth in search of wild game. It's a win-win for everyone.

PS
Swarovski's exceptional service is only required because Swarovski owners actually spend a great deal of time using their equipment. Normal wear and tear is the inevitable result and Swarovski is there to assist whenever the need arises.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back