• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

New Zeiss Conquest HD (1 Viewer)

In my opinion:
FL > Classic = New Conquest > Old Conquest.
Probably the HT is another step up from the FL.

The classic vs. New Conquest debate could be good for another 50-page topic, I fear ;)
But it's hard to compare a waterproof vs a non waterproof, and the classics just does not come in 10x42 or 8x42. Maybe a comparison can be valid if a new 8x56 or 7x42 comes out, HT or Conquest...

Hello

I’m a frequent visitor of this forum. I’ve never posted anything before,
but I really wanted to say something on this topic.

The previous Conquest was made in Hungary to keep production costs and price as low as possible.
Now the new Conquest is better in every way, it uses HD glass, it is about 20% cheaper than the previous version AND it is made in Germany? I believe it is very safe to say it is not.

It is strange to think that a German based company like Zeiss, with hundreds of employees and extremely large overhead expenses, can simply manufacture an inexpensive instrument in its German factory, that can compete with Japanese and Chinese instruments both in performance and in price. Asian companies do this too European companies, not the other way around…

At this moment all Conquest advertisements say “design and quality made in Germany”.
So they never literally say, the conquest HD is made in Germany. Why is that?
Surely the design and quality have been developped at their HQ. Doesn’t every brand do this?
Many professional sources (I heard from some big dealers and even an official importer) say that the new Conquest HD is made in Asia.
Is it Japan? Or China? We can speculate about that, but it sure isn’t Europe.

I think it is sad that a company like Zeiss is misleading the customers about the origin of its products.
They want to play in the <€1000 price segment, competing popular brands like Opticron, Nikon, etc… and want to make people believe their product is better because it’s made in Germany. While actually the Conquest HD is just made in the same factory as the instruments from Opticron and Nikon. If they think people can’t handle the truth of seeing the Zeiss logo on an Asia made instrument, than they better don’t do it and stick to making premium optics.

However, don’t misunderstand me. It is well possible that the conquest HD is a very fine instrument, but it just isn’t made in Germany.

At this moment all Conquest advertisements say “design and quality made in Germany”.
So they never literally say, the conquest HD is made in Germany. Why is that?

The new Conquest HDs are made in Germany.

So now I am confused... Conflicting posts.
But interesting topic for sure! B :);)

Just to add something to the discussion, the "made in" discussions are confusing and it's for sure not black and white. Something can be 'assembled' in a country, 100% or partially. And 100% or a part of the parts can origin from the home country, or from another country. The sticker indicating "made in" can be the only part "made in " that country :smoke:

Weasel Language...

That's exactly the type of weasel language I attempted to cut through in the entire version (not Gary's truncated version) of my original question.

That's exactly the type of weasel language I attempted to cut through in the entire version (not Gary's truncated version) of my original question.

If they make the best glass in the world in Japan or Germany, should Swarovski label them as: assembled in Austria, important parts coming from other countries?
So you want a complete list of parts and where they are made? You want to know in which mine somewhere in Australia they dug out the Aluminum?

... So what exactly are you wanting to know? ;)

I wish to know...

I presume a great part of the raw materials are imported. I don't care if they come from the Moon. What I do want to know is if component parts are made other than in the stated country of manufacture. Ask yourself, what would you want to purchase for the same dollar amount: A) a binocular wholly manufactured in Germany; or B) a binocular assembled in Germany from parts manufactured in partly in Germany and partly in China? I'll take "A" all the time and I'd bet you would too.

Seems that not only technicians copy from each other these days but also ad writers. Lastly it was Minox advertising with "MIG" and some special glass by Schott.

Steve

Ask yourself, what would you want to purchase for the same dollar amount: A) a binocular wholly manufactured in Germany; or B) a binocular assembled in Germany from parts manufactured in partly in Germany and partly in China? I'll take "A" all the time and I'd bet you would too.
Why? Do you consider that items produced in China will inevitably be inferior to those made in Germany? I think that the Chinese economy is now wealthy enough to invest in state-of-the art premises and equipment at least equal to those in Europe. I am sure that in a few more years their production facilities will be much more advanced that ours. It genuinely wouldn't worry me where my binoculars are made, as long as they are the best quality possible. Just about everything else I buy these days is made in China - from my computer to my cameras. :t:

Ron

A or B...

When I compare the number of times I've been burnt with shoddy Chinese goods (more than a few) compared to the number of times I've been burnt with shoddy German goods (0), I answer my question "A." I don't recall, did you answer the question?

I don't think that "in what country what is made" is the most important thing. What's important is that the product has the quality, durability and finish that is expected of it ('s price!).

However, making a statement that's in reality, at least partly untrue about your product, to make it seem better than it actually is, is of course not nice.

When I compare the number of times I've been burnt with shoddy Chinese goods (more than a few) compared to the number of times I've been burnt with shoddy German goods (0), I answer my question "A." I don't recall, did you answer the question?
I did say that I don't care where they are made (A or B). I have bought many excellent Chinese manufactured products over the years (and some bad ones). I have also had a couple of rather shoddy German cars, although I suppose these were actually 'assembled' in Germany. ;)

Ron

Last try on this arguably difficult topic...

Try this one on:

Without any other product information whatsoever. No test results, no tear-downs. Nada... AND, we are in today's world, not some some time in the future when the Chinese bring their massive industrial talents and resources to bear and tighten up quality controls across the board....It's Today...

Now,

Two binoculars are on the shelf. One is entirely made in China the other in Germany. Which would you trust more to be the last binocular you will ever buy?

Where is it made?

I have to say that the "where is it made?" question is a difficult one and statutes that attempt to regulate that subject seem to lay a path for the unscrupulous to side-step the intent of the regulation. Later... In the absence of further repartee, I'm going to log off my Chinese-made Macbook, grab my "who knows where the hell they're made" Zeiss Victory FL's, walk down to the pond and peek at the Hooded Merganser, Wood Duck and whole host of Mallards.

I have to say that the "where is it made?" question is a difficult one and statutes that attempt to regulate that subject seem to lay a path for the unscrupulous to side-step the intent of the regulation. Later... In the absence of further repartee, I'm going to log off my Chinese-made Macbook, grab my "who knows where the hell they're made" Zeiss Victory FL's, walk down to the pond and peek at the Hooded Merganser, Wood Duck and whole host of Mallards.
Good luck. B :) I hope you don't find too many hybrids. ;)

Ron

First of all, I am sure the Conquest is not a 100% German binocular (that is, the parts). Second, if they are allowed, by current laws etc. to put a "made in Germany" on them, they should. Even if that implies that all parts come from other countries, but they are up to quality standards and are assembled in Germany and have their final quality control.

I would not care if most of the parts come from Asia, as long as the binocular performs

So the only question that remains: Can Zeiss put, following the current rules/laws, a "made in G" on the new Conquests? Bernd64 from Austria is even saying they are not even assembled in Germany... So what's the answer?

It's not just "Made in Germany" labels that are confusing, so are "Made in America," and keep in mind this is years after the US enacted rules on how that label could be applied:

‘Made in America’ rules are complex, confusing
Special guidelines for manhole covers, but hairnets get a free pass

http://today.msnbc.msn.com/id/35821593/ns/today-today_news/t/made-america-rules-are-complex-confusing/

More than a decade a ago, I wrote an article on this topic when lots of folks out here in rural PA had "Buy American" bumper stickers.

What they didn't realize and what my article exposed is that a lot of the items they were buying that they thought were "Made in America," including their cars, were either made elsewhere or contained more foreign parts than American-made parts.

Then the federal government came out with the "Made in USA" standard, but manufacturers found loopholes for getting around them.

For example, an automaker could count a steering column as made in America which had more than 50% foreign made parts inside because the housing itself was made in America and constituted a larger portion of the whole unit.

It's slimy, it's deceptive, it's business.

But as I've said before, we hold Zeiss to a higher standard then we do Chinese or even American manufacturers. We expect confusing and misleading terminology from other county's products, but from "the best" "Made in Germany" we expect nothing less than full disclosure.

That's the issue here. Not whether the bins are good or not. Of course, they're good, they're Zeiss. They might not be your choice because of personal preferences, but their "German quality" is not in question, however, where they are manufactured apparently is.

Brock

Many professional sources (I heard from some big dealers and even an official importer) say that the new Conquest HD is made in Asia. Is it Japan? Or China? We can speculate about that, but it sure isn’t Europe...

A cool thing about living in Tokyo is the many OEM showrooms we can visit to play with their products. So ~7yrs ago I went to the Zeiss showroom located in a central Tokyo neighborhood to look at some 3x12 theatre bins I could not find at retail. You can see it using Google Street View. Suprised to learn it was actually the front for a FACTORY where I think they make robotic medical devices and microscopes! Could see lots of busy bees working away in a "clean room" behind a glass wall.

We live in a global economy apparently. Years ago I worked in the Clothing Industry in the UK, now virtualy extinct. A major supplier to Marks & Spencer (major chain store in the UK) used to outsource the manufacturing across the world. The garments were shipped to a UK factory for finishing which included pressing and sewing on "the made in Britain label".
I owned a Skoda Octavia which IMO was superior to the VW Golf but with similar VW engineering and components but made in the Czech Republic. I owned it for 10 years drove 152,000 miles with no problems.
I also am not too worried about where the Conquests are made and look forward to trying them out. Asthetically they look the best bins Zeiss have made in years, it will be interesting to compare them with the new HTs.

Last edited:
This policy is used every where and for anything! For example; one can distill a whisky in the USA and as long as one of the grain varities, (let us in this case use rye as an example), used in the distillation process amounts to 51% or more of the total of the grain varieties used, the whisky can be called "straight" rye whisky!B :)

Bob

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back