• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

2011 UK Orchid season updates (1 Viewer)

Hi

From Alan's photos it looks like a mutant Pyramidal. Any more pics Rich?

Give us a chance to have me lunch!

Pretty rubbish as it's in quite heavy shade - where's Mr Mackie when we need him!

Will post pics of other interesting Pyramids under separate posts.

Rich M

Attachments

• IMG_4388.JPG
    IMG_4388.JPG
    88.3 KB · Views: 39
  • IMG_4399.JPG
    IMG_4399.JPG
    68.4 KB · Views: 38
  • SNV38997.JPG
    SNV38997.JPG
    94.9 KB · Views: 47
Last edited:
Will post pics of other interesting Pyramids under separate posts.

These couple of plants are about 15 yards away, still under trees but in a more open area (the first plant is hard to get at).

Rich M

Attachments

• IMG_4407.JPG
    IMG_4407.JPG
    57.3 KB · Views: 34
  • IMG_44071.JPG
    IMG_44071.JPG
    107.4 KB · Views: 36
  • IMG_4437.JPG
    IMG_4437.JPG
    68.9 KB · Views: 43
Curiouser and curiouser

Today's oddity, an almost lipless Frog!!!
Alan

Attachments

• Lipless,.JPG
    Lipless,.JPG
    90.5 KB · Views: 66
Odd fragrant

All this talk of oddities has made me look back at my archives.
Here's a strange plant I photographed on a Cotswold Common in 2007. Common Fragrant yes but very dark stem and bracts with an odd cup shaped lip.
Any ideas
Simon
ps The camera at the time obviously not able to deal with the colours either , the blue tinge is wrong.

Attachments

• fragrant_odd301.jpg
    fragrant_odd301.jpg
    109.1 KB · Views: 41
  • fragrant_odd302.jpg
    fragrant_odd302.jpg
    113.8 KB · Views: 53
All this talk of oddities has made me look back at my archives.
Here's a strange plant I photographed on a Cotswold Common in 2007. Common Fragrant yes but very dark stem and bracts with an odd cup shaped lip.
Any ideas
Simon
ps The camera at the time obviously not able to deal with the colours either , the blue tinge is wrong.

Hello Simon,
Think that photo was taken near the Severn Trent service reservoir! and as far as I'm aware the only fragrant there is Common Fragrant. The spikes usually have a purple tinge (there is probably some colour aberration from your lens on the spike and bracts as well as the flower) and I think your flowers are just opening, the sepals are in the right place for Common but the edges had not yet rolled back to show there normal appearance, the lip is probably also developing its final shape.

Alan

Common fragrant

the sepals are in the right place for Common but the edges had not yet rolled back to show there normal appearance, the lip is probably also developing its final shape.

Alan
Hi Alan ,
Looking at several images of Common Fragrant spikes in half bud , showing development from bud to full flower I don't understand what you mean. The sepals always seem to appear rolled , then the lip emerges fulled tri-lobal - no unfurling at all.
The close-up image of the odd plant is of the bottom flowers and so should show the eldest, fully formed flowers. This therefore shows rather wide sepals and a cupped , rounded lip.
Its probably just an abberant Common Fragrant , I'm not trying to make it into anything just curious.
Simon

Attachments

• fragrant502b.jpg
    fragrant502b.jpg
    55.4 KB · Views: 35
  • common_fragrant510b.jpg
    common_fragrant510b.jpg
    59 KB · Views: 41
Hi Alan ,
Looking at several images of Common Fragrant spikes in half bud , showing development from bud to full flower I don't understand what you mean. The sepals always seem to appear rolled , then the lip emerges fulled tri-lobal - no unfurling at all.
The close-up image of the odd plant is of the bottom flowers and so should show the eldest, fully formed flowers. This therefore shows rather wide sepals and a cupped , rounded lip.
Its probably just an abberant Common Fragrant , I'm not trying to make it into anything just curious.
Simon

Hello Simon.
I have looked at my Common Fragrant photos, and yes, yours is rather different. It was the fact that the lateral sepals on the lower flowers in your photo didn't appear rolled back, that made me think that perhaps the flower was not yet fully formed. Sorry to be the cause of confusion.

Alan

Pretty rubbish as it's in quite heavy shade - where's Mr Mackie when we need him!

These couple of plants are about 15 yards away, still under trees but in a more open area (the first plant is hard to get at).

This plant is a couple of hundred yards away on open downland.

Now all the excitement has died down I've had a chance to have a better look at my photos of these plants.

The plants in posts 263 and 264 above do not show any features that are anomalous for Pyramidal, apart from each having an aberrant lip shape. I think they are just Pyramidal with an odd lip.

The plant in post 262 is slightly different in that the lip shape is even more of a mess, and not consistent between individual flowers. More importantly it has a long, pink spur that the other three plants don't show. However it does not match the description of Pyramidal x Fragrant given in Lang (1980) - spike long and scented, or Stace - scent and cylindrical spike. I think the plant is even more messed up than the others, the long spur is another anomoly, but it is 'just' a Pyramidal.

That was fun.

Rich M

Broad-leaved helleborine

First of the local Broad-leaves flowers just starting to open.

Rich M

Attachments

• SNV39033.JPG
    SNV39033.JPG
    77.8 KB · Views: 41
Heleborines on Holy Island

Just had a long weekend up north. Dark Red Heleborines looking good at Bishop Middleham, Tyne Heleborines at Beltingham (but not yet at their peak), and Lindisfarne Heleborines still a couple of weeks off their best.

Also saw some more robust and taller heleborines adjacent to classic Lindisfarnes that a couple of Belgian guys claimed were Dune Heleborines, but I thought all the 'dune'-types on Holy Island were Lindisfarne? They looked very similar to me apart from structure. I couldn't make out any difference in flower stem colour. See attached (first three 'dunes' and last one a classic 'lindisfarne').

Cheers

Stu

Attachments

• 20110703_Lindisfarne-Hel-Holy-Is_353.jpg
    20110703_Lindisfarne-Hel-Holy-Is_353.jpg
    95.7 KB · Views: 55
  • 20110703_Lindisfarne-Hel-Holy-Is_364.jpg
    20110703_Lindisfarne-Hel-Holy-Is_364.jpg
    232.6 KB · Views: 51
  • 20110703_Lindisfarne-Hel-Holy-Is_366.jpg
    20110703_Lindisfarne-Hel-Holy-Is_366.jpg
    98.3 KB · Views: 45
  • 20110703_Lindisfarne-Hel-Holy-Is_347.jpg
    20110703_Lindisfarne-Hel-Holy-Is_347.jpg
    107.1 KB · Views: 61
Just had a long weekend up north. Dark Red Heleborines looking good at Bishop Middleham, Tyne Heleborines at Beltingham (but not yet at their peak), and Lindisfarne Heleborines still a couple of weeks off their best.

Also saw some more robust and taller heleborines adjacent to classic Lindisfarnes that a couple of Belgian guys claimed were Dune Heleborines, but I thought all the 'dune'-types on Holy Island were Lindisfarne? They looked very similar to me apart from structure. I couldn't make out any difference in flower stem colour. See attached (first three 'dunes' and last one a classic 'lindisfarne').

Cheers

Stu

Hello Stu

I am thinking about shooting up to Bishop Middleham this weekend to see the Dark Red Heleborines. Did you note roughly how many there are this year??
I hope I'm not to late this weekend

Mark

Cheers

Stu

Hi Stu,

Definitely all Lindisfarne Helleborines. No other 'broad-leaved helleborine type' epipactis species occurs on the island.
These Europeans always comin' over 'ere and re-classifying our orchids! ;)

Nice photos btw!

Mike.

Any news on the Norfolk creeping tresses? Are they flowering this year?

Any news on other helleborines too?

Mike - thanks for the confirmation - that's what I thought.

Mark - there will still be plenty of Dark Reds at Bishop Middleham - quite a few had not yet opened out (including right under the sign board just in from the northern laybye on the western side of the quarry). Hard to judge numbers - they are scattered all over this quite large site. I saw dozens, but probably extrapolate hundreds based on all the bits I didn't get to or look closely at...

Cheers

Stu

Does anybody have a list or know of a list on the internet of all the orchid species in britain, preferably on an excel sheet, as I'm interested in seeing how many I've seen.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back