• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

2011 UK Orchid season updates (1 Viewer)

Trip to North Hampshire with a stop off in the Cotswolds (thanks to grandad's superb navigation - not!), yielded excellent numbers of Burnt Orchid and 3 Frog Orchids on the chalk downland near Newbury with 8 Narrow-lipped Helleborines near Gloucester - only one in flower so far.

Mike.

Attachments

• IMG_1664.JPG
    IMG_1664.JPG
    341.5 KB · Views: 69
  • IMG_1669.JPG
    IMG_1669.JPG
    368.7 KB · Views: 83
  • IMG_1735.JPG
    IMG_1735.JPG
    250.3 KB · Views: 65
  • IMG_1858.JPG
    IMG_1858.JPG
    279.8 KB · Views: 74
Last edited:
Great pictures Mike. I was wondering if those helleborines were opening now. I can feel another trip to S. Oxfordshire coming on...

Great pictures Mike. I was wondering if those helleborines were opening now. I can feel another trip to S. Oxfordshire coming on...

Hi Ian, thanks!

Indeed, apparently they've got quite a few up this year and should be flowering now - I plan to phone the visitor centre tomorrow and confirm. Might see you there!

Mike.

Hi Ian, thanks!

Indeed, apparently they've got quite a few up this year and should be flowering now - I plan to phone the visitor centre tomorrow and confirm. Might see you there!

Mike.

I was thinking of going next week but let me know what they say, plans can be changed!

Ian

Helleborine Broad Leaved ?

I'm a bit hazy on the exact identification of these Helleborines. They are part of a group of 100+ growing in dappled shade beneath Alder.
Any assistance would be very much appreciated.
Regards John

Attachments

• Helleborine-1.jpg
    Helleborine-1.jpg
    180.5 KB · Views: 93
  • Helleborine-2.jpg
    Helleborine-2.jpg
    244.8 KB · Views: 68
  • Helleborine-3.jpg
    Helleborine-3.jpg
    269.9 KB · Views: 91
Cotswold Helleborines

Narrow-lips looking very smart and fresh today.

Green-flowered, presumed var degenera, - actually found one open and photographable.

Green-flowered, what should be var pendula, still in bud.

Broad-leaved, mainly still in bud but a few starting to flower in the more open areas.

Rich M

Attachments

• IMG_4499.JPG
    IMG_4499.JPG
    95.2 KB · Views: 50
  • SNV39051.JPG
    SNV39051.JPG
    59.1 KB · Views: 42
'funny' Broad-leaved

Broad-leaved, mainly still in bud but a few starting to flower in the more open areas.

Rich M

Good to bump into you today - found this 'funny' Broad-leaved Helleborine once you'd moved on. It should be fully open in about 3 or 4 days (Heakl)
Simon

Attachments

• _DSC2939b.jpg
    _DSC2939b.jpg
    36.9 KB · Views: 64
  • _DSC2944b.jpg
    _DSC2944b.jpg
    28 KB · Views: 61
Good to bump into you today - found this 'funny' Broad-leaved Helleborine once you'd moved on. It should be fully open in about 3 or 4 days (Heakl)
Simon

Nice one Simon, right up my street I like that. Sounds as though it might well be near me, if you could PM me a grid ref I would be very grateful.

Alan

Cotswold Helleborines

What better way of spending a showery day but to be out in a southern Beech wood searching in the gloom for Helleborines ?
Plenty of Broad-leaved this year and now in a more advanced state of flowering showing their full colour range. Also managed a photo of the wasp pollinator complete with headgear.
Green-flowered : var. degenera at one site and var. pendula at another.
The Narrow-lipped are a bit thin on the ground this year , I could only find one that wasn't still in tight bud.
Simon

Attachments

• broad-leaved1.jpg
    broad-leaved1.jpg
    50.9 KB · Views: 42
  • green-flowered1.jpg
    green-flowered1.jpg
    46.4 KB · Views: 50
  • _DSC3131m.jpg
    _DSC3131m.jpg
    22.5 KB · Views: 51
  • _DSC3058m.jpg
    _DSC3058m.jpg
    29.1 KB · Views: 57
Last edited:
Simon

Thanks Simon,
A brilliant find especially as the plant has now produced a second double flower higher up the spike. The higher double flower differs from the first one in that it has a double column structure as well as the double lip. I also noticed that at one bract two completely separate flowers emanated, no idea how unusual that is!

Hello Helen, nice to meet you today and I'm very glad I did, without your pointer I'd have missed the second double.

Alan

Attachments

• IMG_8362.JPG
    IMG_8362.JPG
    50.4 KB · Views: 51
Another Broad-leaved from the same interesting site, this one very pale but not quite pale enough to be viridiflora.

Alan

Attachments

• IMG_8338.jpg
    IMG_8338.jpg
    62.8 KB · Views: 52
found this 'funny' Broad-leaved Helleborine
Simon

the plant has now produced a second double flower higher up the spike. The higher double flower differs from the first one in that it has a double column structure as well as the double lip.
Alan

Finally got my a**e in gear this morning and went to see this Helleborine.

On the lower 'double' flower the extra lip seems to be largely fully formed, with a hypochile and epichile with bosses, it just lacks a column. As well as an extra lip it also has an extra sepal, opposite/beneath the dorsal sepal. If you treat the extra 'lip' as a fourth inner perianth segment this means it has 8 perianth segments (4+4) instead of the normal 6.

The upper 'double' flower is rather different. Although, as Alan says it has a double column, neither hypochile or epichile is fully formed (particularly the one on the left), in fact they both seem more like a cross between a lip and a sepal. It hasn't got an obvious extra sepal like the lower flower, although the dorsal sepal looks a bit like two sepals welded together. Bit of a dog's dinner in fact.

When Messrs Lynes and Cole have finished counting their new Dune helleborines maybe one or both would care to offer their thoughts on how unusual this is in Broad-leaved. Or anyone else for that matter!

Rich M

Last edited:
Probably just another mutant Richard! Although what is the soil type at this site?

Cheers,
Dave.

I assume it is limestone, the plant itself was growing under a Silver Birch.

Mind you it is the third oddity this year at this site; the aberrant Pyramids and the albino Greater Butterfly were both there, although neither was that close by.

Rich M

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back