• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

2013 UK orchids (1 Viewer)

Also visited another site in Glos today where there were pretty reliable rumours of a solitary flowering Red Helleborine last year. Didn't see anything (or anyone!) but noted a number of eminently suitable locations. Will be following this up shortly.

Sounds exciting. I'll keep my ears open and eyes peeled for that one.

Mike

off to the Hebrides for Dactylorhiza traunsteinerioides ssp. francis-drucei var. ebudensis (seriously, who names these?!)

Hebridean Marsh, or what once was Hebridean Marsh.

Any last minute tips? I'm aware of one place for them - is this the only place or are there several areas?

Lizard orchids

I am wondering whether Lizard orchids are still in full flower anywhere. If anyone were in a position to PM any details, it would be very helpful. It's one of a number of species which we have photographed in France (where they are widespread and sometimes abundant) but not UK. Only thing is that we are in N.Wales - so anything north of Kent would be helpful! I realise they will not be very far north.

Many thanks.

Martin

Very many thanks to those who have kindly given help. Much appreciated. It looks as though Newmarket will be the nearest option for us.

Martin

Last edited:
Cumbria

Still ploughing through my photos from last weeks visit to Cumbria.

The two on the left are Frog var longibracteatum, and yes they are big!

Next two are Northern Marsh var cambrensis.

The final one is of a hybrid in the middle of the patch of var cambrensis, so assumed to be a hybrid between that and presumably Common Spotted (there weren't any spotted orchids visible).

Rich M

Attachments

• IMG_6596.JPG
    IMG_6596.JPG
    273.1 KB · Views: 81
  • IMG_6598.JPG
    IMG_6598.JPG
    365.3 KB · Views: 62
  • IMG_6747.JPG
    IMG_6747.JPG
    439.3 KB · Views: 70
  • IMG_6758.JPG
    IMG_6758.JPG
    414.9 KB · Views: 56
  • IMG_6754.JPG
    IMG_6754.JPG
    406.6 KB · Views: 66
Spent this morning up on the Mendips, with Bee orchids just starting to emerge.

I spent some time having a look at the dacts at a couple of sites. At the first all the plants seemed to be D. x grandis - two photos on left.

At another site (the other three photos) many of the plants have a feel of Southern Marsh, possibly with some Heath Spotted, but a proportion have completely unmarked lips, unlike anything I've seen elsewhere.

Rich M

Attachments

• SNV33087.JPG
    SNV33087.JPG
    394.7 KB · Views: 46
  • SNV33092.JPG
    SNV33092.JPG
    456.1 KB · Views: 46
  • SNV33112.JPG
    SNV33112.JPG
    442 KB · Views: 40
  • SNV33108.JPG
    SNV33108.JPG
    369.5 KB · Views: 45
  • SNV33106.JPG
    SNV33106.JPG
    370.6 KB · Views: 61
Lizard Orchids

I had a very enjoyable time in Kent on Sunday and Monday just gone. The staff at the Bird Observatory are really friendly and helpful. I got to see some birds being ringed and was shown the Southern Marsh Orchids and Leopard Marsh Orchids there.
The Lizard orchids were more mature than I'd imagined they would be, in full flower and looking marvelous. I took lots and lots of photos :)
I didn't go searching for Late Spider Orchids in the end as I was still busy with the Sandwich Bay area, looking at other species and just exploring. During my walks I managed to see some other local species including the Bedstraw Broomrape, Common Broomrape and Hare's-foot Clover. The broomrapes were all but over and only diligent searching provided one or two that were well past their best but not quite finished.
If you are heading out that way in search of Lizard Orchids then you would do well to consider overnighting at the Observatory as it is very cheap and gives you a good base from which to explore the area. I think the orchids should still be looking great this weekend.
My thanks to everyone who helped me with advice on this one :) I've attached some of my images. There are a few more on my website (www.naturegallery.org.uk) and yet more to come as they are not all processed yet.
Hatfullofsky

PS I've not made my mind up yet but may travel to Kent again this weekend. If somebody could pm me a location for the Late Spiders I'd be grateful. I've already done research on the subject (phoning wardens and searching the internet) but have received conflicting advice. PM me for more details if you are interested.

Attachments

• LIZ_O 12581307.jpg
    LIZ_O 12581307.jpg
    175.8 KB · Views: 87
  • LIZ_O 08791307.jpg
    LIZ_O 08791307.jpg
    187.9 KB · Views: 82
I'd be interested what others think these might be. I do have my own ideas, but am probably quite wrong; the subleties of and variation within Dactyls gets the better of me. They are growing on a roadside and open grassland in N. Wales and in flower right now. The only other identifiable orchid there are the Common Spotteds.

Steve

Attachments

• buck1.jpg
    buck1.jpg
    82 KB · Views: 52
  • buck2.jpg
    buck2.jpg
    75 KB · Views: 57
  • buck3.jpg
    buck3.jpg
    83.3 KB · Views: 57
  • buck4.jpg
    buck4.jpg
    92.1 KB · Views: 47
  • buck5.jpg
    buck5.jpg
    83.8 KB · Views: 52
Last edited:
I'd be interested what others think these might be. I do have my own ideas, but am probably quite wrong; the subleties of and variation within Dactyls gets the better of me. They are growing on a roadside and open grassland in N. Wales and in flower right now. The only other identifiable orchid there are the Common Spotteds.

Steve

Hi Steve

Looks like a combo of Northern Marsh and Common Spotteds - some possibly hybrids, but some look like quite pure Northern Marsh with the diamond shaped lip.

Mike

Just got back from a visit to a supposid location for hybrid Butterfly orchids beside the Teifi river. No conclusive specimens were found but plenty of both parents growing side by side. However, the number of Greater Butterflys were dwarfed by the number of Lesser Butterflys growing in the adjacent peat and tussock bog where I lost count. By far the most I have ever seen of this species in Britain (~250 spikes?) and some of the largest - a true spectacle!

Also a pic of some other orchid I found at Kenfig yesterday - any ideas what it is?

Mike

Looks like hardtofind on your hands and knees Orchid! :-O:t:

Hi Steve

Looks like a combo of Northern Marsh and Common Spotteds - some possibly hybrids, but some look like quite pure Northern Marsh with the diamond shaped lip.

Mike

I see hundreds of D purpurella annually, I don't see any obvious ones here. They all look like hybrids

Mark

Last edited:
I see hundreds of D purpurella annually, I don't see any obvious ones here. They all look like hybrids

Mark

Actually that was my thought. There were a few looking like typical Northern Marsh, but it looks like that population has been replaced by a hybrids with Common Spotted; with some degree of introgression with the latter. Whatever, there were a good number there and they put on a good show each year.

Many thanks folks

Can anyone recommend a site/time of year where I could maybe tick off more than one of the orchid species that only grow in the North of England, in one go, in the coming weeks?

I live in Gloucestershire and would like to be able to tick off maybe 2 or 3 species that I haven't seen before (which is any species that only grows N of Birmingham), in a day trip.

Can anyone recommend a site/time of year where I could maybe tick off more than one of the orchid species that only grow in the North of England, in one go, in the coming weeks?

I live in Gloucestershire and would like to be able to tick off maybe 2 or 3 species that I haven't seen before (which is any species that only grows N of Birmingham), in a day trip.

I suppose the obvious thought, if you want a long trip, would be Northumberland, where if you got the timing right, you might see "Tyne Helleborine" (on the banks of the Tyne) and then Lindisfarne Helleborine and (just possibly) the very last of the Coralroots - both on Holy Island. If that sounds interesting, I , or I am sure others on this forum, would be happy to supply more detail. But the timing would be critical and you would need some local information. Again I have some contact names and numbers, if that would be helpful. As a sheer guess I would think you would be looking at very roughly July 12-19 for Lindisfarne Helleborine and Tyne Helleborine, but Coralroot which was flowering on Holy Island several weeks ago, might well be over by then.

Martin

Last edited:

Just to clarify; am I right you are talking about only Dune Helleborine, Dark Red Helleborine, Lindisfarne Helleborine, Coralroot, Lady's-slipper, Pugsley's Marsh and Irish Ladies-tresses.

I can't think of any other species that only occur in the North of England but wondered if there are others you have never seen?

You could probably do Dune and Dark Red Helleborines in one day in Lancs/south Cumbria or Lindisfarne and Dark Red Helleborines in Northumberland, but you would be hard pressed to fit in any of the others in a day (depends on how long a day you want!).

Rich M

PS having just read the above posting you could fit Tyne Helleborine into the Northumberland trip but expect a very long day if it includes a drive up from Stroud and you have to drive back the same day.

Last edited:
Was out and about in the Chilterns again last night and found reasonable numbers of white helleborines still nicely in flower.

Right folks. Another friend of mine was asking where he could see bee orchid in Wiltshire. I am afraid I did not know where so any help from you lot is much appreciated.

Brian Laney.

Exactly the impression I got - the guy just wasn't interested in the slightest. In terms of most other places I've been to in order to find orchids everyone I've spoken to has always been so enthusiastic and willing to help. It really is a shame about Kenfig, apparently there used to be over 10,000 there and now there's just a handful.

Last year they were all marked with canes.

Just to clarify; am I right you are talking about only Dune Helleborine, Dark Red Helleborine, Lindisfarne Helleborine, Coralroot, Lady's-slipper, Pugsley's Marsh and Irish Ladies-tresses.

I can't think of any other species that only occur in the North of England but wondered if there are others you have never seen?

You could probably do Dune and Dark Red Helleborines in one day in Lancs/south Cumbria or Lindisfarne and Dark Red Helleborines in Northumberland, but you would be hard pressed to fit in any of the others in a day (depends on how long a day you want!).

Rich M

PS having just read the above posting you could fit Tyne Helleborine into the Northumberland trip but expect a very long day if it includes a drive up from Stroud and you have to drive back the same day.

You could see dark red, lindisfarne, and dune in the same day if the tides at lindisfarne are favourable. You could also have a go at creeping ladies tresses too, but maybe that's one orchid too far.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back