• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

3 Birds, 6 Pictures (1 Viewer)

Katy,
They're thrashing over this bird on another thread as well "All Time Mystery Bird". I've given up on it. Give me a good photo of the same bird and I'll tell you what it is. Not from this one though - too indistinct. By now I've heard about twenty differerent genera suggested. I have, however, managed to exclude Camptorhynchus!!

Katy, sorry about the confusion over size, but the bird in question was about 7" or more. pretty close to blackbird size, which kind of eliminates Eastern Meadowlark according to size...

cuckooroller said:
Katy,
They're thrashing over this bird on another thread as well "All Time Mystery Bird". I've given up on it. Give me a good photo of the same bird and I'll tell you what it is. Not from this one though - too indistinct. By now I've heard about twenty differerent genera suggested. I have, however, managed to exclude Camptorhynchus!!
LOL! Yeah, wrong bill.

Oh, trust me, I wasn't even bothering with Photo #6 of Bird #3 from Post #2 since there is no way an image that poor can be ID'd -- unless somebody's got some of that cool NASA software stashed away they aren't telling us about. And since Photo #7 of (ostensibly) Bird #3 was shot on the following day, it's useless for being a help toward IDing the first #3 bird. (Do birds play baseball? This kinda reminds me of "Who's On First?")

I did suck Photo #7 into other s/w to brighten it a bit, and I think Ras is right: Fledgling flamingo!

that raptor looks a lot like a red shouldred hawk G thang. Checkered white and brown wing covert things, long tail which redshouldereds have, at least in buteo terms. Well that is my impression without going through a book to check.I am going to be looking for the nest of a pair i saw a few weeks ago, wish me luck.

Hey Gthang, I am pretty sure that is a redshouldered, i dont think my first message got posted..i dunno haha so yeah a red shouldered hawk. I am kinda new with this birding thing too, well always watched them but getting serious now. Okay have fun! Carl

Gthang, sorry to jump in here so late. Bird #1 (three pics) looks right for a Song Sparrow. Yes, I know, the tail is notched, but the eye-stripe is too bold and the malar region seems to dark for Savannah. Bird #2 (pics 4 & 5) seems to be a 1st summer male Red-winged Blackbird. It definitely has a blackbird bill and the slight eye-stripe (in the second photo of it) seems to say Red-wing. Bird #3 seems really plump. It looks ok for a Varied Thrush in shape but that couldn't be (coloring, streaks, and range). To me it looks like a Song Sparrow, as a matter-of-fact, the more I look at it, the more it looks like one. Will go check out the other thread that was started over this bird. Yes, the raptor is a Red-shouldered Hawk, check out that black and white striped tail.

Apologies if my input as a new poster if offensive to anyone. I have lurked around here from time to time and decided that this post was a good reason to register. In regards to the mystery bird posted, My first guess is Song Sparrow. If the picture were more clear and not enhanced in either photos it would be easier. If I knew for sure that pic #1 2nd page was the exact same bird as second photo and not one that appeared similar I would say without a doubt Savannah Sparrow. Hard to tell with these Pics but I would say song sparrow is my first choice.....

Gthang, I forgot to add........the bird pic you posted in post #42 is definitely a fem. Red-winged Blackbird. Streaking all the way down, orangish tinge to face pattern, a faint wing bar, blackbirdish bill.

parrotmom said:
Apologies if my input as a new poster if offensive to anyone. I have lurked around here from time to time and decided that this post was a good reason to register. In regards to the mystery bird posted, My first guess is Song Sparrow. If the picture were more clear and not enhanced in either photos it would be easier. If I knew for sure that pic #1 2nd page was the exact same bird as second photo and not one that appeared similar I would say without a doubt Savannah Sparrow. Hard to tell with these Pics but I would say song sparrow is my first choice.....
Not at all! - Welcome to BirdForum, and feel free to dive in anywhere, the more, the merrier

Michael

gthang said:
Welcome aboard BlueTiercel! Good luck finding that nest!
Thanks for the welcome Gthang. I am still trying to figure out this forum thing, i didn't realize there was more than one page and was like where is my reply? i just saw it...where is it now, and you had allready got about 20 replies on it being a red shouldered hahaha. Okay been a little frazzeled, getting married June 5th. Craziness, just want to elope... forget the wedding. Talk to yah later. Carl

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back