• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

3rd w Iceland gull showing arrowhead to primary (1 Viewer)

Birdspotter

Hi all,

I had a 3rd w Iceland today that at ranges down to 150-200 yards seemed to show pure white primaries, with the exception of a blackish V mark to one of the primary tips on one of the wings (I never saw the other wing well enough).

This is quite unlike any Kumlien's that I have seen before so my question is can a nominate 3rd w glaucoides show a dark subterminal mark to the primaries also?
I ask this because I would have thought that any Iceland Gull showing any dark marks to the primaries past the age of a second year is likely to be of Kumlien's influence.

The tertials had dark flecking to them also, this I have seen in 3rd w Kumliens before.

An interesting bird.

This won't help at all but what i've red recently it seems there's no consensus and many N American birders think that glaugoides-kumlieni-thayeri(-smithsonianus) are inseparable from the closest taxon when out of their normal range. But i hope this winters influx brings some light in this subject! And i hope even more to get at least one of those glaugoides here in Finland :)

Other thing is there isn't pics and internet is full of these kumlieni-questions :)

Last edited:
This won't help at all but what i've red recently it seems there's no consensus and many N American birders think that glaugoides-kumlieni-thayeri(-smithsonianus) are inseparable from the closest taxon when out of their normal range. But i hope this winters influx brings some light in this subject! And i hope even more to get at least one of those glaugoides here in Finland :)

Other thing is there isn't pics and internet is full of these kumlieni-questions :)

Thanks for your input.

Yes unfortunatly I didnt manage to get pics (well not good ones anyway) so perhaps I will never know on that particular bird.

I do hope you finally get your bird though!

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back