• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

600mm f/4 VR with 2x TC III Nikon (1 Viewer)

Must admit, when I tested the 2.0TC on my 500mm I also tried the 1.7 and couldn't tell the difference in IQ. Testing on the 300mm f2.8 it seemed to AF faster with the 2.0 than the 1.7.

Cactus,

With the grebe shots did you use the independent flash unit?

I've got to say even though I moan at Nikon, they do make some stonking cameras!

Cactus,

With the grebe shots did you use the independent flash unit?

I've got to say even though I moan at Nikon, they do make some stonking cameras!

Thanks for this: I certainly agree about Nikon cameras :t:; re. flash, I use a wimberley flash-bracket with my SB600 attached, and a synch cord to attach it to the hotshoe. Also use a "better beamer" style flash extender.
For a good review of the above, see http://www.naturescapes.net/docs/index.php/category-equipment-reviews/373-jan-wegener

Perform an af-tune test.

As pointed out by CactusD, I suggest you perform an af-tune test in your combo before any conclusions on IQ.
My personal experience with a 600mm AF-S II + TC20EIII was worse than yours, until I "discovered" a heavy really heavy backfocus problem.

My 2XIII is fairly new to me, but I've got good initial feelings about it. We must, must remember though that long lens technique becomes of critical importance, even at high shutter speeds. Shooting at 1200mm is not easy, period.

I need to do some controlled tests with the mirror up, but my initial impression is that it's better than my 1.7XII

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back