• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

80 miles south of Bonny Island, Nigeria (1 Viewer)

I am 80 miles south of Bonny Island, Nigeria, and spend a lot of time in Port Harcourt.... any interesting birds to look for? can anyone recommend a good application for my iphone or even a hard copy book?

Hi Richard and a warm welcome from me too.

I'm sure you will enjoy it here and I hope to hear about all the birds you see when out and about.

Hello, and welcome to the forum! Have a look at the app: Merlin Bird ID - Home, and the website: https://ebird.org/explore (you'll probably need an account to view that one). These should help with both of your questions. Regarding Merlin, it will probably prompt you to install a bird pack containing all the birds of Nigeria with their descriptions, ranges, photos and sounds, so even if the 'Explore Lists of Birds Near You' is inaccurate due to there not being enough birdwatchers collecting data, you can always have a look at the 696 species in the bird pack for Nigeria. With enough data, the bar chart showing frequency should contain bars of varying height--here you only have a high dark bar (= present) or no bar at all (= absent).

If you have any questions about bird ID, don't hesitate to ask at: Bird Identification Q&A. You can share your photos/videos here: Gallery, if you want, too. I'm afraid the said Collins bird guide only covers Europe and adjacent regions--if you're looking for a guide covering Nigeria, have a look at: Best bird guides by region...Africa, or start a new thread in: Books, Magazines, Publications, Video & DVD. BirdForum is quite huge, so it will take you some time to explore all the subforums--I feel I'm still in the process of discovering new places here myself.

EDIT: Does '80 miles south of Bonny Island' mean you work on an oil platform? Here's a thread by a person who spends half of the time at sea about what birds he sees, although--obviously--most of the species you'd get in Southern Nigeria would be different than those: North Sea Thread.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230720-102655_Merlin Bird ID.jpg
    Screenshot_20230720-102655_Merlin Bird ID.jpg
    581.5 KB · Views: 4
  • Screenshot_20230720-102758_Merlin Bird ID.jpg
    Screenshot_20230720-102758_Merlin Bird ID.jpg
    504.4 KB · Views: 4
  • Screenshot_20230720-104119_Merlin Bird ID.jpg
    Screenshot_20230720-104119_Merlin Bird ID.jpg
    646.8 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:
EDIT: Does '80 miles south of Bonny Island' mean you work on an oil platform? Here's a thread by a person who spends half of the time at sea about what birds he sees, although--obviously--most of the species you'd get in Southern Nigeria would be different than those: North Sea Thread.
Yes, I am captain of a drillship doing exploration work. the life here are of type types: the tropical west african natives, and the pelagic creatures.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back