• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

A Breydon Water local patch (4 Viewers)

Thanks for the interest Nina, unfortunately I can't really post much this weekend. I have been to various places but ..... B+Q ... Focus DIY ... up the ladders .... local tip .... garden shed ..... :stuck:

Mind you it's raining and miserable today so probably picked a good weekend for a spot of Disaster It Yourself

Roll on next weekend !

About the only thing I've noticed are the very high spring tides this weekend. This is a very low-lying area, not much above sea level so this time of year we always have one eye on what the wind, tide and barometer are up to.

Oh, and I did see a Cormorant flying over my house yesterday. A common bird round here but can't say I've ever seen one actually flying over. And a Wheatear in the overgrown waste ground next to Tesco

Last edited:
Is it my imagination, or do wheatears usually inhabit rough scrubland? 'cos if that is so, why don't they appear in the scrubby field directly behind my home?
Good idea to disaster yourself on wet and miserable weekends, and I really should be doing the garden but decided to play with my new toy, and the results are now on my local thread.
Had a good session on photography and computer imaging, and realised I needed a better camera, I really have had fun doing everything today, but have only put up a few, and I actually got birds in one of those, as the other one was a total disaster!!
Oh well some you win, others are a disaster! Nina.

No idea Nina, When I've seen them they've always been near to plentiful supply of worms etc, several near the marsh pumping station (on the map in the opening post) and on the other side of the river recently near a farmyard spoil heap.

Now off to look at your local patch !!

Are you still after disabling yourself this weekend or will you sieze the opportunity of watching for the winter birds as the weather forecast is winter weather on the way, so if you are wrap up warm and remember to take plenty of hot water and rugs, as the wind will be coming off the water. That should be good for unusual birds then, so hope you get the chance and see some of the less common birds, as I'm following your thread closely. Nina.

Disabling myself .... strewth I hope not !!!

Went out this morning but as it was quite misty across the river and marshes looking for the waders was never going to work. Instead it was going to be a cycle ride along to Burgh Castle and back again, this time paying a little more attention than I have been doing to the fields, ditches and reeds along the way.

And it turned out well ..... Good sights and a few questions.

Just a few minutes out of town and suddenly civilazation is a whole world away. The almost total calm of low tide slack water & no wind meant the river was at an almost complete standstill, the only break to the silence coming from across the misty mudflats when an occasional Curlew or Redshank would call out.

Cycling a bit further it wasn't long before a Wheatear startled up & fluttered away ahead with it's white rump plain to see, and through the bins I saw it perched on the wall before flying off toward the farm nearby. A group of 4 Swallow came by shortly after this which really surprised me - afterwards my first thought was a mis-id for House Martin but thinking about it, no, they were definitely Swallow, and after checking in the library it seems they are sometimes around until November in small numbers.

Moving on and rounding a bend I pulled up as a bird in the middle of the path was suddenly startling away from the oncoming me, a few wing beats followed by a dumpy odd looking walk ( as if its legs weren't long enough) which I've gone into a bit more detail in another thread, but from a bit of research down the library and online including this website : http://birdsofbritain.co.uk/bird-guide/snow-bunting.htm I'm as sure as I can be that it was a Snow Bunting, something completely new to me. Excellent. It then flew off into the undergrowth before re-emerging and flying off across the river, with an unusual rolling / trilling call.

Some little way beyond that picking away at the dead seed heads were a group of birds which I put down as Reed Bunting but something seemed different about them, checking through a few websites & books in the library I think (possibly ) at least one of these was a Lapland Bunting ...I'm not sure though but it's food for thought next time.

By the time the half way point came it was time for coffee break, it was now after 10 and I hadn't seen one person along here yet. Sitting on the low wall with scope set up and bins at the ready I saw some activity in a reed lined ditch which made me curious, every now and again a couple of Reed Bunting would chase each other and disappear deep in the reeds, flocks of Goldfinch & a few Meadow Pipit would occasionally flash about, but there was more than just them in there I was sure. Eventually my patience paid up when I caught sight of a couple of small birds occasionally clinging to the upright stems then shooting back into the undergrowth, their orangey, immaculate plumage almost as if it's been newly painted on, with triangular black beards set onto the grey head and an orange bill - 4 Bearded Tit - at least 2 male & 1 female. These were the highlight as they've long been on my 'wish list' and for them to turn up almost on my doorstep is pretty darned good.

The main vantage point over the valley from Burgh Castle didn't prove too good with the mist clinging around the trees and across the marshes so I didn't stay long though I did get 2 un-id'd thrushes high up in a tree at the church. On heading back I came across 2 really good views - firstly a Kingfisher fishing in a ditch from an overhanging stem, plunging into the ditch and back up again, I noted it had an extremely dark cap, and how much more brilliant a blue the central strip up its back is compared to the blue of the wings. Then nearly back to Yarmouth my first and only raptor of the day - a male Sparrowhawk perched on a gatepost.

Species count of about 30, not that that's at all important in my view.

A top- notch morning out.

Last edited:
Delightful Carlos,
Don't the lapland Buntings stand out, I last saw them in February sitting on the telephone wire at my parents farm, but the bearded tit, Wow, one on my wish list too. You seem to have a good number of Buntings on your sector. They are none to common here, and the only time I'd seen the laplanders I drew their markings and it took several weeks before I got the ID. You have been very busy and had a delightful session, Keep the thread going, asI am enjoying hearing your reports, Nina.

Great report again,Carlos,the solitude there was the most impressive thing for me on my August visit to your patch.

Hope the Snow Bunting ID is confirmed and now a Lapland,brilliant...!

Thanks Nina, the laplands do winter round here apparently with the first ones being seen mid-Sept (got that from Birds Of Norfolk, by Seago & Allard), so it's possible that's what they were but it wasn't the best view ever.

Looked somewhat like (but also somewhat unlike !!) a female Reed Bunting which is pretty common. I'll maybe try again early Sunday.

Tried again this morning along a wet, windy & cold south shore for the buntings ..... but not the faintest sighting of even a Reed Bunting this time. Never mind eh, next time !

Unfortunately there isn't a lot of cover anywhere, so the wind was a big problem, and when it came the rain also didn't help matters. But a few notings were -

1x Grey Plover amongst the more numerous Goldens, Dunlin, Redshank etc
1x Sparrowhawk
1x Snow Bunting ( definite this time)
Curlew, lots - many of them in the adjacent fields
1 x Kingfisher
1x Avocet - only 1, I've seen no sign of the recent large flock for the past week or so.

Georgeous Carlos, Curlews.....Ahhhhh. I'm really envious of you,
a, you can ride a bike all over the place.
b, those wonderful birds.
c, I don't envy you the wet windy weather!! But I did warn you it was on its way!! Nina.

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back