• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

A very informal comparison... (1 Viewer)

John M Robinson

I just returned from a trip to Washington State where I was running my Golden retrievers in a field trial, trained over there for three days in advance of the trial. Since DBH lives very close to where I was training, I brought all of my binos in case we were able to get together for some viewing and comparing. Unfortunately Dave was busy with work but I had a whole group of dog training buddies who are also general outdoorsmen and hunters.

Shortly prior to my leaving on this trip, another BF member generously sent his latest model Zeiss 8x32 FLTs to me to try out for a while. I also had a pair of demo 7x36 Zen Ray ED IIs on hand. So here I was out in a beautiful country setting by a marsh full of migrating birds, myself and five guys who are would appreciate looking through high quality optics, but knew next to nothing about them. I had on hand the 7x36 ZRs, the Zeiss 8x32 FLT, my two Nikon SEs, 8x32 and 10x42 and my 8x42 Ultravid BR.

Just going by name and having perused Cabella's catalogs over the years, they all recognized the Leica name and were prepared to be impressed. As for the Nikon SEs, one guy owned a low end 10x42 Nikon porro, and assumed the SEs were going to be comparable to that. There were no preconcieved notions regarding the Zeiss or Zen Ray. I really didn't educate them on any nuances other than help them set diopters and try to get them to notice colors, sharpness and field of view. They were obviously very wowed by each and every one of them, but after just a little viewing they each had their favorites.

For most it came down to the Zeiss or the Leica, one or the other. I think the larger SE was too much like a lower end Nikon porro for them to appreciate it, though they were impressed by the detail of birds in the field. Everyone asked how much each bin cost, I told them actual retail cost on all bins except the Zen Rays which I said cost $1,500.00. Nobody batted an eye at that and thought that was appropriate as to their eye the ZR was right up there with the Leica, though the Leica seemed more relaxing. When I told them later that the ZRs actually cost around $400.00, two guys wanted to buy a pair right now. One guy, a doctor was very impressed with the 8x32 Zeiss. So in general, everyone loved the Zeiss, Leica and ZR, once they knew the cost of the ZR they kept wanting to look through it. The only guy who could afford a true alpha prefered the Zeiss over the leica. One guy liked the 8x32 SE best, but was put off by it not being waterproof, his second choice was the ZR.

This is the only 8x32 Zeiss I have looked through. I love the package and view, but there is a coolish cast to it compared with my SEs and Leica. Perhaps my bins are unnaturally warm, but in direct comparison I prefered the Leica color over the Zeiss. I don't recall the larger Zeiss having a blue cast to it, maybe in just using it alone without comparison you don't notice it.

I was very impressed with the Zen Ray ED IIs. They were very sharp and brightest of all bins tested. I think my pair might have been slightly out of collimation as they weren't relaxing. None of the other guys noticed this, but everytime I switched back to my leicas or SEs, I felt my eyes relax a bit. Of course we are comparing a $400.00 bino to bins costing at least four times that amount, to even be in the same ball park is amazing.

Having been on this forum for a few years now, and having read many threads by most expert afficiandos, I belive that due to differences in our eyes, glasses or not, brain perception and what our individual values are, there are folks who just prefer a certain look over another. I have come to realize that there is a certain mix of attributes that makes the Leica view more appealing to me, whereas Steve the doctor really liked that Zeiss view. I know there are people here whom I greatly respect that prefer Zeiss or Swaro over Leica or Nikon. So take this story for what it's worth, just a group of guys trying out something new to them and giving their unbiased if uninformed opinions.

John

That's a nice writeup, John. Nice that you didn't put the price factor out there from the start, and also that you didn't try to do a statistical analysis on the results. I agree that there are personal preferences and probably characteristics of individual's eyes that are going to play into who likes what.

That's a nice writeup, John. Nice that you didn't put the price factor out there from the start, and also that you didn't try to do a statistical analysis on the results. I agree that there are personal preferences and probably characteristics of individual's eyes that are going to play into who likes what.

Totally agree.

Neil.

Also interesting to see how even very good porros are classed as below the roofs just based on their shape. A interesting mix of ergonomics and "oldness" at work, I think.

I suspect this explains why we only see porros at the low end of the market.

An interesting comparison. Letting "amateurs" have a go, rather than relying on the knowledgeable enthusiasts who usually bring us such tests.

Just one thought, I wonder whether (actually, how much) your buddies' opinions of the Zen-Ray might have been influenced by believing (initially) it was a $1500 bin. Had they known it was a $400 bin from the start, I wonder whether they might have been less impressed by it. I'm still glad you did the test the way you did though Note: I'm not suggesting you rip off the badges from your alpha bins!.

Edit: What I'm trying to say, not very concisely, is that whilst knowing it was a £400 bin from the start might have prejudiced them against it, it is also probably true to say that believing it was a $1500 bin might have prejudiced them in favour of it. The only "true" blind test would have been if the badges had all been removed (assuming the testers wouldn't recognise a bin from its shape) and no price information given. Note: I'm not actually suggesting anyone rip off the badges from their alphas!

Last edited:
Good point about being prejudiced either way. I think the reality is that optics technology has come so far that there really are very few duds out there. I took the same group of bins into my local shop to show the manager who is very into high end , actually all optics. He was much impressed by the Zen Rays and SEs, neither of which he had seen before. Then just for fun he pulled a new 8x42 Nikon Monarch out for me to look through. I was never impressed with the old Monarch that my hunting buddy owns. This new Monarch was great for only $300.00, it absolutely blows away my ten year old Pentax DCFs.

As we've said before, there are very good optics choices at every price bracket. Getting back to the Zen Ray, regardless of what my uninformed amateurs thought regarding value versus cost, the ZRs do have ED glass, dielectric coating on the prisms as well as other state of the art multi coated lenses which all combine to create a very nice product.

Kevin, that anti porro bias is very frustrating. You would hope that even an amateur could appreciate the excelent optics of an SE just by looking through them. The actual reaction was, hey these look pretty good for old porros. Even after I explained that these were Nikon's "no holds barred" approach to designing a best in the world porro, which by simple physics should be easier to do than with a roof design. I think they were a little more appreciative of the SE view, but still dubious about spending that kind of money on an old fashioned binocular.

John

John the Ziess are a bit cold or cyanish. I find that their entire line, every single one I have ever looked through is biased cool. I don't who these people are who claim that Zeiss are color neutral, I've sure never seen one that was.

Teh Zeiss 8x32 FL has a very good color balance to my eyes, almost the same as my ZEN ED2 binoculars. It's hard to tell which one is warmer or colder in color. But either one is much better than my old ZRS that has warmish tint.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back