• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Affordable Camera traps (1 Viewer)

Dave Williams

As you can no longer reply to the previous thread on this subject I thought I'd start a new one!
My reply to the previous thread would have been:-

I'm surprised there are not that many people adding to the thread, it's certainly had enough views!
I bought a Trail Camera from Aldi last time they had them in stock at the end of last year. They were still retailing at £69.99 four years after having been mentioned earlier in the thread! My big regret was that I didn't have one when we took a trip to Kruger NP last September/October as there was all sorts of wildlife wandering the camps after dark but I wasn't prepared to sit up all night and wait as we were having some really early starts.
Anyway, to my surprise and delight the very first night I set it up in our garden I discovered we'd had a Badger visit. It didn't reappear for some time but as I now put down food in the form of a few peanuts, it's become a regular visitor and it's quite exciting checking the camera in the morning to monitor the time of day it visits.
My experience of the camera is varied. Picture quality is pretty good, especially daylight. At night times for single shots there can be a certain amount of motion blur which doesn't surprise but neither does it bother me either as I'm only interested in monitoring activity. Video quality is very good, even at night time.
For still shots the camera claims to have a 0.4secs start up and shoot time but the minimum time between shots is 5 seconds which often means that a possibly better second shot is often missed. I guess you could take video instead but that would eat up battery power and it's quite thirsty at the best of times.It does take rechargeable batteries and you can use a not included transformer too....provided you have an electricity source which might not be the case for most locations.
Waterproofing at IP54 appears to be excellent and the provided mount is good although it started rusting within a few days of exposure to rain. I sprayed it with WD40 but that makes it more difficult to hold in place too!! The provided strap isn't the best though.
The camera point of view is 40 degrees so it's a bit limited from that perspective and that to me is possibly it's biggest weakness.
Maximum memory card is 32 GB, it came with a 4GB micro SD but I swopped it for a standard 32GB which is more than adequate for my needs.
All in all, I'm really pleased with the performance and it adds a lot of interest and pleasure to my wildlife watching. Can't wait to take it to Africa one day in the future.
Hope this helps!

Great idea, Dave, to take the camera on birding trips. We missed our chance on our last trip and it may be a while before the next one but I will remember that tip.

Steve

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back