• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

An Uncommon Sighting of a Common Bird (2 Viewers)

pbgrebe

Today I saw something that I've never seen before: a white American coot. The coot is white, not an albino (its eyes are dark colored and it has some black patches and spots). I've seen many coots over numerous decades all across the U.S. and parts of Canada and this is the first white one that I've seen. There are no closely related species here (notably, none of the same genus) so hybridization can essentially be ruled out as a cause for this unique color. It appears most likely that a deviation in the gene(s) associated with colorization is responsible for this individual's white color. The bird was seen in company with several standard black coots and its behavior was typical for a coot. Though apparently rare, one would expect that this mutant coot color is something that repeatedly occurs at some low frequency so I wonder how many other readers here have seen a white American coot?

Unfortunately, I didn't have a camera with me. However, a person who also saw this coot said she might go home and return with her camera and if able to photograph it, would post it on this website. So, let's hope that she had good luck.

I returned to the location where I saw this white American coot to see if it was still there and and found that it was. Unfortunately, I do not currently have a working camera. However, while there I met a woman (Susan Hunter) who did have have one. I asked her if she would please take some photos of this coot for me so that I could post them here and she kindly obliged. So, thanks to Susan, here are two photos of this rare white American coot.

Attachments

• White American Coot.JPG
    White American Coot.JPG
    11.7 MB · Views: 36
  • Two Coots.jpg
    Two Coots.jpg
    18.9 KB · Views: 34
It appears to be a Leucistic version of the normal Coot. Thanks for the photos of it pb.
Yes. I obtained a very good look at this coot and it’s definitely leucistic. As noted in my original post, it’s white with some dark patches, has the typical eye coloration of coots, and definitely isn’t an albino. I didn’t use the term “leucistic” (especially since I didn’t have any photos of it at the time) because I know that there are people who aren’t familiar with this term but all English speaking people know the term “white.” For those who are unfamiliar with “leucism” (the “c” is pronounced like a “k”), it’s an abnormal, genetically based condition that affects the normal placement of pigment in external body coverings such as hair/fur, feathers, scales and skin (it’s not the same as albinism). It’s variable in its expression, ranging from spotty and patchy to full. Another point of interest is that leucism is known to occur in all of the vertebrate classes (i.e., mammals, birds, reptiles, amphibians and fish). Though generally rare, individuals with this condition may be abundant within some local populations (for example, as has been seen among some local populations of eastern gray squirrel).

And of course, all credit to Susan Hunter for the photos.

Last edited:
Of minor interest; although leucism is largely harmless, aside from rendering an animal's innate camouflage useless, it does have one particular downside for birds. Ever notice that a lot of naturally white birds (i.e. gulls) have black tips on their wings? The melanin helps reinforce their feathers. White feathers wear down faster. It's particularly noticeable in piebald birds, where a patch of white flight feathers can be right next to a patch of normally colored feathers and the difference can be easily seen. Probably not much of a problem for a coot, considering they aren't exactly active fliers.

Of minor interest; although leucism is largely harmless, aside from rendering an animal's innate camouflage useless, it does have one particular downside for birds. Ever notice that a lot of naturally white birds (i.e. gulls) have black tips on their wings? The melanin helps reinforce their feathers. White feathers wear down faster. It's particularly noticeable in piebald birds, where a patch of white flight feathers can be right next to a patch of normally colored feathers and the difference can be easily seen. Probably not much of a problem for a coot, considering they aren't exactly active fliers.
Coots aren't active fliers unless they are migrating, which this is the time of the year for it, hopefully this bird it's already in its planned summer home...

From what I remember reading, leucistic birds can typically still fly perfectly fine most of the time. It's just that their flight feathers wear down faster, and can eventually cause them some problems. Hopefully this coot has either already migrated, or has reasonably intact flight feathers due to not using them too much.

I'd really like to see a shot showing its feet. I'm curious what color those are.

I'd really like to see a shot showing its feet. I'm curious what color those are.
I was also curious about the color of its legs and feet. I was only able to observe them while the coot was in the water paddling about but I could see that they looked to be the greenish to grayish color that is typical of American coots. They most certainly weren't lacking in pigmentation.

American Coot reaches Europe. Just saying....

John

They do, but a couple long trips a year isn't the same as something like a hawk or vulture, flying long distances on a daily basis. I can count on one hand the number of times I've seen a coot fly, and I'd still be able to hold a fork.

I returned to the location where I saw this white American coot to see if it was still there and and found that it was. Unfortunately, I do not currently have a working camera. However, while there I met a woman (Susan Hunter) who did have have one. I asked her if she would please take some photos of this coot for me so that I could post them here and she kindly obliged. So, thanks to Susan, here are two photos of this rare white American coot.
I think I saw this bird, or one like it, at one of the ponds near tingley beach. today. I thought the one I saw had less black on it but I am often wrong. We'll return for another look soon. Thanks for the Post. I would have doubted my eyes.

I think I saw this bird, or one like it, at one of the ponds near tingley beach. today. I thought the one I saw had less black on it but I am often wrong. We'll return for another look soon. Thanks for the Post. I would have doubted my eyes.
I'm just going to jump in here and wish you a warm welcome from those of us on staff here at BirdForum (y)
We're glad you found us and please join in wherever you like ;)

I think I saw this bird, or one like it, at one of the ponds near tingley beach. today.
Pinwrench, that's just the place where I saw this white American coot--the northernmost of the back ponds in the Tingley Beach area (I live in Albuquerque). Good to know that it's been hanging around. I'll be going back to that area on Monday so I hope that rare beauty will still be there.

Here is a photograph of the bird on land, you can see the feet and leg color (this is not my photo):
Thanks for posting this photo--great look at its legs and feet. As I noted in a previous post, while observing it as it paddled about the legs and feet looked to be greenish and grayish and this confirms it. In other words, this color variant has the leg and foot coloring that is typical of American coots. Nice to see that this special, rare bird appears to be gaining some notoriety.

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back