• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Any suggestions- French Pyrenees (1 Viewer)

In my experience middle-spotted are not that easy in the Pyrenees/foothills, but black should be easy enough if you know the calls. Mammal wise, Marmots are easy once you're high up - listen out for rather oystercatcher like calls. Izard are also not too hard but expect distant views!

In my experience middle-spotted are not that easy in the Pyrenees/foothills, but black should be easy enough if you know the calls. Mammal wise, Marmots are easy once you're high up - listen out for rather oystercatcher like calls. Izard are also not too hard but expect distant views!
What type of lizards?

Black is definitely the woodpecker I want, I’m pretty sure I had one last year but it just passed slightly to quick to get a proper ID.

Apologies I forgot that I asked before-

Is there any owl species present in the Pyrenees? Also any pipits?
May I suggest that you get a copy of the collins european guide and then look through that to come up with a list of possible species using the range maps for each species, rather than asking about literally every group individually here. Then you can use ebird to find localities for each target species for example this is the species map for crag martin in the arreau area of the pyrenes in the past five years.

Attachments

• Crag Martin.jpg
    Crag Martin.jpg
    387.1 KB · Views: 7
May I suggest that you get a copy of the collins european guide and then look through that to come up with a list of possible species using the range maps for each species, rather than asking about literally every group individually here. Then you can use ebird to find localities for each target species for example this is the species map for crag martin in the pyrannes in the past five years - Sign in.
I have the European guide- I have multiple, the issue is the range maps are incredibly useless. Also Ebird doesn’t seem to be extremely useful for France, that’s why I like to ask for people’s personal experiences.

In my area, hawfinches are reported more then goldfinches, yet goldfinches are much more common etc.

I do use ebirds- and I asked for species that I had seen on recent sightings page for the Pyrenees.

I went to the Brecon’s a few months back and looked for information on where to get crossbills- it was far more useful to look on birding blogs from locals and people who visit there often then E-bird.

Last edited:
Any mammals that I have a chance of seeing?
As already said marmots and izards should be quite easy to see.
There is currently a reintroduction program of Pyrenean ibexes they are mostly present near Gedre/Gavarnie
If you are very very lucky you could find brown bears footprints or scratches on trees...

Rivers will give you dippers and grey wagtails. The Pyrenean desman also live in the area but very difficult to see.
Pipits : You will have tree pipits near forests and water pipits in pastures both species are quite easy.

Neouvielle forest has a few boreal owls but they dont sing in summer so finding them is nearly impossible. You can look for Tawny owl in forests and barn owl in old villages buildings . Also eagle owl on cliffs but they require luck.

Last edited:
As already said marmots and izards should be quite easy to see.
There is currently a reintroduction program of Pyrenean ibexes they are mostly present near Gedre/Gavarnie
If you are very very lucky you could find brown bears footprints or scratches on trees...

Rivers will give you dippers and grey wagtails. The Pyrenean desman also live in the area but very difficult to see.
Pipits : You will have tree pipits near forests and water pipits in pastures both species are quite easy.

Neouvielle forest has a few boreal owls but they dont sing in summer so finding them is nearly impossible. You can look for Tawny owl in forests and barn owl in old villages buildings . Also eagle owl on cliffs but they require luck.
Wow, I’ve never heard of a desman before… is there any place where I have a greater chance of seeing them?

Wow, I’ve never heard of a desman before… is there any place where I have a greater chance of seeing them?
They are small, rare and shy so it is very difficult to see them. Theorically any mountain river could have them. If you see a lot of dippers in an area it means plenty of water larvae so better chances for the desman. But keep in mind that most of local naturalists see it once or twice a year at most...
By the way you should really get youself an account of faune-france.org you will have all the observations of mammals, birds, reptiles, butterflies etc in the area you intend to visit. There are many more lists there than on ebirds. In France ebird is mostly used by foreign tourists. You can even put faune france in english ;)

They are small, rare and shy so it is very difficult to see them. Theorically any mountain river could have them. If you see a lot of dippers in an area it means plenty of water larvae so better chances for the desman. But keep in mind that most of local naturalists see it once or twice a year at most...
By the way you should really get youself an account of faune-france.org you will have all the observations of mammals, birds, reptiles, butterflies etc in the area you intend to visit. There are many more lists there than on ebirds. In France ebird is mostly used by foreign tourists. You can even put faune france in english ;)
Good advice Torcol, as suggested to Bewick in my Post 10 upthread too! I think more and more of we French birders are using eBird these days but Faune France still gets virtually all the observations
(personally I use eBird for my Garden/Yard observations but Faune France for everywhere).

Just arrived in the Pyrenees- managed to get an Egyptian vulture, booted eagle, griffon, and montagus harrier, crag Martin from the area we are staying. Turns out we are staying in peyragudes. We will be visiting Neouville tomorrow.

Thanks for all the help.

Attachments

• _MG_9423.jpeg
    _MG_9423.jpeg
    289.7 KB · Views: 19
  • _MG_9633.jpeg
    _MG_9633.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 19
edit: only realized now that I only scrolled halfway the thread and didn't see all other posts in between with more info about the mammals, and the post where you said you arrived! Anyway:

Bears are probably more in the C-Pyrenees (Val d'Aspe and surroundings, if any left, they are on the brink), Pyrenees Chamois, Pyrenees Desman (unlikely unless you prepare / have a good site / contact) and that's it for the (big) specialties.

Further on you have wild boars, wild cats, Isard, Marmots (introduced), Pine Martens,...
These were pleasantly confiding (Aspe valley, July 2021)!
1691500796831.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back