• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Anyone heard of this site? (1 Viewer)

Jaff

Registered Member
Has anyone heard of or had dealings through this site and can tell me if it's a reputable place to place/answer classified ads.

I've found something of interest and it seems too good to be true but I'll wait until I get a response.

www.gumtree.com

As you can see they have sites for different regions incl. here in the NW so it's open to people up and down the UK (and beyond it would seem!).
Cheers all.
Adam

Remember: if it seems too good to be true......

It's a classified ads site, buyer beware, surely.
There's a Canon 70-300 IS on there for £290, hardly a bargain!
The 600mm @ £2300 is better though.

Yes - I have, and it was when I was looking hard for a 1D MkII/IIn body when dealers were asking around £2,000 for the IIn. The very well priced MkII apparently was in Birmingham, not too far from where I live in Milton Keynes, and initially the seller seemed to be asking quite legitimate questions about how I would pay etc. I did wonder if it was stolen. Equally, I was concerned about what state the goods were in, and how safe I might be carrying large sums of cash. The emails gradually got more bizarre, how genuine was I?, new place for handover etc. (now moved to somewhere in London, always where seller required) and I decided that my peace of mind would be better if I let matters drop. Shortly before I dropped out, I wasn't even sure that the item existed.

I was a bit surprised that I got no threatening follow-up emails - as though the other guy had ceased to exist...

Interestingly, around the same time my phone call to a well known UK seller advertising a s/h 1D MkIIn never got taken up. I was about 5 miles from his base, credit card half way out of its holder, and was checking how to find his outlet. When he answered my call he said he was away from base, and that his staff were too busy packing and despatching items for the 2006 Xmas, and never phoned me back - of course my number should have been recorded on his mobile. The 1D MkIIn was easily his highest priced item, and I wondered if it was a "virtual item" on his website for nothing more than giving "legitimacy" to his site.

For the record, I bought a 1D MkIII from a dealer recommended here last Spring (via credit card) and it's been fine.

Thanks for the info.

I had my doubts from the start and as I sent an email anyway and have not heard back I will pursue it no further even if the seller does contact me.

I'll just have to write an extra nice letter to Santa! ;)

Cheers.
Adam

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back