• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Anywhere close to Lincoln for red grouse? (1 Viewer)

Bewick

Connoisseur of WTL
United Kingdom
Want to attempt to look for red grouse, any locations close to Lincoln… sadly I don’t have a car so it has to be by train.

Suspect it would be the Peak District. Maybe a train to Edale then a walk up Kinder Scout? Might be closer places though e.g. Hathersage. I suspect it's a case of getting to Sheffield and then stopping somewhere on the train from there to Manchester.

Suspect it would be the Peak District. Maybe a train to Edale then a walk up Kinder Scout? Might be closer places though e.g. Hathersage. I suspect it's a case of getting to Sheffield and then stopping somewhere on the train from there to Manchester.
Would it be better to see them during breeding season?

Red Grouse are easiest to see post breeding when there are the most about but prior shooting, so July / early August. The North York Moors are usually chocka with them and you could combine with Honey Buzzards, Goshawks and Turtle Doves potentially

Maybe, although early spring can be good for seeing grouse, so it might be worth going soon. I'd pick a fine day if you're heading for the hills.
Sadly, not possible- my Uni accommodation closes and I’ll be back in London. I’ll just wait until I’m the area for some reason.

Sadly, not possible- my Uni accommodation closes and I’ll be back in London. I’ll just wait until I’m the area for some reason.
Not sure how long you will be around for, but I suspect if you went to look this month and it was an area where they're common, you'd probably see them.

red grouse is not a hard bird to see if your in the right place, you either get good views or fleeting views, if i went on my patch tomorrow id proberly see around 10 plus more calling....best time of year especially now spring is near 1I0A4905.jpg

Warning! This thread is more than 1 year ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back