• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Planning a trip to Scotland. Help! (1 Viewer)

argupov

Spain
Hello.
From early to mid July, myself and some friends are going on a birding trip around Scotland. I have a couple of questions in particular that I would greatly appreciate if someone could answer me. We wanted to see black grouse in some areas that we know near Loch Garten, but we don't know the probability of seeing any birds in the area or still in the lek areas. On the other hand, we do not know very well where in the Cairngorms we can see red grouse. And finally, we planned to pay a visit of one or two days to the island of Iona in search of corncrakes. I read some specific sites on the internet some time ago, but they were locations from a long time ago and I don't know what the situation has been in recent years. I would also appreciate any pointers on this.

Thank you very much.

Hi argupov and a warm welcome to you from all the Staff and Moderators. I fear you will be a little late for the Black Cock leck, that is more likely in May/June. Red Grouse can be seen on nearly every heather moor at any time of the year.

I've never been lucky enough to see a Corncrake, despite hearing many! Two good spots on Iona are in the rough ground around the Abbey and also at the back of the fire station. However, they are extremely difficult to spot in the long grass. It will also be very close to the end of their season here.

Hopefully others will have some better news for you. Please let us know how you get on.

I'm sure you will enjoy it here and I look forward to hearing your news.

Last edited:
There is a pull in half way up to the funicular railway at Ben Macdui (I think I've got the right name, where you can go skiing in the winter). It is just before where the tight bends start. Look downhill onto the moor for a chance of Black Grouse (Iwas lucky enough to also get a pair feet from the road one early morning) it also a good spot for Ring Ouzel and Red Grouse it is also a great area to explore for Crested Tits, Crossbill etc. I've only ever been to this area when there has been snow on the ground so don't know how tricky Ptarmigan are at that time of year as in winter they were fairly easy to pick up especially in flight viewed from the main car park. Where are you coming from? If you are coming from down South there is a very reliable spot in North Yorkshire for Black Grouse on the way if you are going up the A1.

Hi there argupov and a warm welcome to you! (y)
We're glad you found us and please join in wherever you like. ;)

There is a pull in half way up to the funicular railway at Ben Macdui (I think I've got the right name, where you can go skiing in the winter). It is just before where the tight bends start. Look downhill onto the moor for a chance of Black Grouse (Iwas lucky enough to also get a pair feet from the road one early morning) it also a good spot for Ring Ouzel and Red Grouse it is also a great area to explore for Crested Tits, Crossbill etc. I've only ever been to this area when there has been snow on the ground so don't know how tricky Ptarmigan are at that time of year as in winter they were fairly easy to pick up especially in flight viewed from the main car park. Where are you coming from? If you are coming from down South there is a very reliable spot in North Yorkshire for Black Grouse on the way if you are going up the A1.
The funicular is at Cairngorm mountain, rather than Ben Macdui (though Ben Macdui is part of the Cairngorm plateau).

The best time to see Corncrake is when they first arrive In May. They make straight for the Iris beds because the grass hasn’t normally grown enough at that time and the clumps of Iris provide cover. They’re still damn near impossible to see even though you can hear them.

Hi mates! It's been a time since we went to Scotland. Overall, it was a fantastic trip: we saw some corncrakes, red grouses, a black grouse, white tailed eagles, snow buntings, horned grebes... We have made a trip report telling our experience. It's both in spanish and english, so you can read it without any problem. This pdf version is reduced, a mediu-quality version is available here: https://drive.google.com/file/d/16hP32wyjEhQT4x1VgqWyN_Z_YuqmbFZs/view?usp=sharing. Hope you like it!

Attachments

• TRIP REPORT ESCOCIA 2.pdf
    14.4 MB · Views: 7
Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back