• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Arctic Redpoll? (1 Viewer)

2spot Ladybird

Just saw a very light coloured Redpoll in my garden about 1 1/2 hrs ago. Just wondering if it's an Arctic Redpoll or an other subspecies?

I'm in Midlothian, Scotland.

Attachments

• 09-12-10 016.jpg
    09-12-10 016.jpg
    90.8 KB · Views: 249
  • 09-12-10 017.jpg
    09-12-10 017.jpg
    69.2 KB · Views: 214
  • 09-12-10 018.jpg
    09-12-10 018.jpg
    95.1 KB · Views: 261
Last edited:
Just saw a very light coloured Redpoll in my garden about 1 1/2 hrs ago. Just wondering if it's an Arctic Redpoll or an other subspecies?

I'm in Midlothian, Scotland.

Do you have any shots of its rump or the undertail? It's probably a Mealy Redpoll with those flank streaks but on these photos, I reckon a poorly marked female 'Coue's Arctic' can't be ruled out.

Cheers,

Andy.

Thats a very pale bird and the undertail coverts look right and the wingbars seem correct. Tenatively - Yes, Arctic ( and if it isn't then it's still a superb looking bird)

Cowardly Chris ( when it comes to Redpolls )

That's the only pics I managed to get, the other Red Polls wouldn't let her feed so she flew off and hasn't been back. I will keep a close eye incase she comes back |=)|

Seems quite large for Arctic and more images or information on undertail coverts and rump.

Cheers

Sean

The bird didn't appear to be any larger than the Lesser Redpoll that's on the feeder she's perched beside, infact I'd say she looked slightly smaller. Hopefully she'll come back and I'll be able to get more pics/info.

Seems basic Mealy Redpoll for me. We have good numbers of those around right now.

It could offcourse be exilipes but there's no critical features visible in these pics (and nothing pointing towards exilipes more than Mealy).

Do you have any shots of its rump or the undertail? It's probably a Mealy Redpoll with those flank streaks but on these photos, I reckon a poorly marked female 'Coue's Arctic' can't be ruled out.

Cheers,

Andy.

I agree. Its at the white end of Mealy, and for once there is no possibility of confusion with Lesser. I've seen a lot of people claim Coue's when there is no way of excluding Mealy.

I think what I was trying to say was that jizz-wise it appeared larger and bulkier in the pic compared to the obvious Lesser.

In my limited experience of both 'exlipes' and 'hornemanii' they appeared to me to be smaller..perhaps due to the bill appearing smaller.

Sorry wasn't very helpful as very subjective.

Should have stuck to rump, undertail coverts etc.

Sean

Arctic Exilipes may well be smaller than Common Mealy, remember males can be considerably bigger than females in Redpolls.

I find very pale undersided Lessers very hard to differentiate from Exilipes on basic colouration and jizz (until / unless you see rump).

To me this bird is probably a Mealy, but the flank streaking does not exclude Arctic IMO. Paleness of upperparts counts for little except for ruling out Lesser, many Arctics have a buff brown head and brownish upperparts. So it could be either. It's subtle features like bill size (again there is overlap), position of eye on head, undertail covert streak width that have to be seen well . Even then it is near on impossible to identify such birds with confidence - i.e Marsh Lane bird.

Always fascinates me does Redpoll i/d, even tho we have been there again and again.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back