• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Australia: juv Red-capped Robin? (1 Viewer)

Tannin

Common; sedentary.
I'm unsure about the ID of this bird.

It looks more like a young robin than anything else, but I have doubts. For starters, it seemed too small, though judging size is always a risky business. My first thought — no, make that my second thought, my first thought was "WTF is that little thing?" — my thought was Red-capped Robin. Why Red-capped? Perhaps because of the small size and from some angles there seemed to be a hint of that rusty colour over the bill.

But I'm far from convinced.

Area: Killawarra State Park, eastern Victoria, near Wangaratta.
Habitat: Plantation of young ironbarks along a creekline, entirely surrounded by mature box-ironbark forest/woodland, mostly Grey Box but ironbark in patches too.

I've not seen robins at this particular site before, but in the general area I've seen Scarlett, Jacky Winter, Yellow, and Red-capped. It looks like a sensible sort of place to spot Hooded too.

Other birds that were around at the time: dozens of pardalotes, nearly all young ones, mostly spotted. Never seen so many pardalotes! Also some Weebills, quite a few Western Gerygones, a group of Speckled Warblers, the usual Superb Fairy-wrens and Yellow-rumped Thornbills and Rufous Whistlers, various other larger birds I won't mention.

I spent several hours there and didn't see any robins at all, but of course that doesn't mean there were not any there. I have never in my life seen so many small, insectivorous birds! It's one thing to fall in with a mixed-species feeding flock for a little while until it moves on, but another thing entirely to have it stay put until you are too hungry to keep watching. After some brunch, I went back and the little birds were all still there and still active. Fantastic place. If it hadn't been for the weather, I'd probably be still there too!

Attachments

• mystery_filtered.jpg
    mystery_filtered.jpg
    54.5 KB · Views: 110
G'day Tannin,

I believe you've made the right call. Mainly due to the areas of streaking and the white throat area. Although it appears a very young bird in the photo the white wing bars would hint at a juvenile with immature wings although I am more than likely wrong on this assessment.

Cheers
Gavin

It's a juvenile "Petroica" robin of some sort. Looking at my field guide and at photos on internet, I would say Red-capped because Scarlet seems to have a distinctive white spot just above the bill, even in juvenal plumage. Also habitat looks OK for Red-capped.

Thankyou Gavin and Tui, you've set my mind at rest now. Young Red-capped was my first instinct, and now with your second opinions I feel more confident of it. Looking at pictures I have of other young RCRs, the wing bars are indeed whiter than they are, which threw me a bit, but makes your theory sound reasonable, Gavin. It seemed about the same size as the pardalotes and thornbills in the same trees - i.e., tiny - and I suppose I should have looked a bit further to find its parents, but there were birds everywhere and I got distracted!

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back